Author Topic: What is the Black Cavier equivalent vintage (old) motorcycle on Flat track  (Read 17527 times)

Curly3

Faaaaark, wrong side of the bed.
It was a joke and aimed at Jimbo.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Faaaaark, wrong side of the bed.
It was a joke and aimed at Jimbo
Well that's not how it looked to us outside of the in joke Steve. You have voiced that sentiment before so it was natural to think that you mean't what you wrote. All good  ;)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

That's what this meant  ;) ;D but fair enough, apologies to Brett who actually started the topic.
I've never said I don't like the Flattrackers, quite the opposite, what I did say was that the bikes that were the Gun thing of our early Short Circuit history like Duplex Beeza's were being forgotten.
Anyway we all have our passions, mine is Short Circuit history.
All good.

I would suggest the big XR Harleys from the 70's are the Black Cavier of Flattrackers.

P.S. There is a difference between voicing a sentiment and jumping down someone's neck. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:43:34 PM by SlideRulz »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Not sure if it is from this bike , but I know a bloke that has a very similar 850 engine fitted in a Wasp . Sounds very sharp and snappy  .
Engine number   *  NW 0126*  . Maybe that helps ?

are you sure its a V twin walter? the 850's i thought were parallel twins.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
After looking at Ivan Mauger's gold plated bike you know what you can do with ya flat trackers. ;D
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Greame, Sincere question, Does "short circuit" cover both?
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Curly3

G'day Brett and sorry for the topic hijack, it went in a direction I didn't expect.
As I've been told, " Short Circuit " came about because there was a lack of suitable road racing tracks back in the day which is why the early tracks were quite long compared with todays tracks.
DT is our modern day name and Flattrack is basically the US equivelant.
So in answere to your question, in Australia, DT, Flattrack & Short Circuit all fall under the same explanation.
Then there's, Longtrack, Shorttrack & even Track racing.
If you're confused then so am I sometimes.  

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
I probably should apologise for wading into this thread, without properly reading the heading and the first few posts. The pictures I posted were of dirt track and speedway bikes and I should have put up a pic of King Kenny Roberts TZ750 flattracker, which I regard as the T-Rex of flat track.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:07:22 PM by Husky500evo »

Curly3

We all know of the immaculate Black Betty.
Introducing, Black Cavier.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
fug that,4 cylinders,i'll take the goldie anyday,(prolly have to fight pancho off with a big stick but  ;D:P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
 Hey Slides, back in the olden days when I first started short circuit racing the most desirable machinery out there was the 'Goldie'!
 Even though the occasional J.A.P. would take home the 'aces invitation' prize or some such, the facination of the Goldie and the 'Tweety bird' note on (back off) had us in awe.

And me sitting on the sprung seat of a beat up old rigid Ajay.
 cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Here's the twin brother to my new Shell 750 Yamaha. An identical bike to these ridden by Kenny Roberts was the bike that ended years of Harley domination in 1973/4. The Yamaha light shone briefly but to do it with what was essentially a tricked up streetbike engine that was 10hp down on the factory Harleys was an amazing achieviment so I think it is the Black Caviar of flat track. I can't wait for mine to get here.

The actual Kenny Roberts bike in street trim in the UK ...Sacreleige!

My Shell 750 in forground
P.S. There is a difference between voicing a sentiment and jumping down someone's neck.  
fair enough, I didn't mean it to sound cranky Steve, I wasn't,  I just misunderstood your post. Apologies.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:57:11 PM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

All good Firko, no offence meant or taken, between us hopefully we can make a difference.
In reply to another Flattracker thread, I'd have no drama's with the Flattrackers being included in the Slider class if it help's achieve a full grid. I'm sure I've even suggested that prospect somewhere else, they are basically another breed of Slider.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile

Forgive my ignorance on the subject of US flat track, but am I correct in saying that whenever a different make of bike began dominating the Harleys , the rules were changed to either ban them (as in the case of the Roberts TZ) or move them to another class (as with the Rotax powered bikes) ? I think that the Rotax powered flattracker in this pic, shown as an example, was John Kocinski's race bike.   
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:35:21 PM by Husky500evo »

Curly3

Now sounds like the Yanks attitude to a sport they dominate, move the goal posts.
America's Cup ring a bell?