Author Topic: The art of being cool  (Read 40390 times)

Curly3

Re: The art of being cool
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 09:53:21 pm »
Shit mavman, I'd miss it every time I got behind the steering wheel, it was called a proving ground, what better way to see what it'd take to kill one. :P :P :P

Tony T

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 09:56:09 pm »
Is Bullit the movie where the car makes 16 straight up-changes at the start?  :-\

That's a serious question btw

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 10:03:35 pm »
The best thing was they weren't mine, drove all sorts of cars from around the world aussie built ones were some of the best very under rated by us ozzies, people thought oversea's cars wrere better because they cost more, we did have some clangers but.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:08:40 pm by mavman4200p »
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Curly3

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 10:07:37 pm »
Nothing rev's harder than someone elses car. ;D ;D

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 10:09:59 pm »
God bless the test mule after the testings over
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 10:11:44 pm »
Is Bullit the movie where the car makes 16 straight up-changes at the start?
 Tony I first heard that same question about another not so well known early seventies drag racer film titled "Two Lane Blacktop"  Worth a look if you come across it and the said car is a rough but yummy 55 Chevy in undercoat grey ;). It was different and yes you can see ideas, parts and scenes that were "pinched " and used in other films.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 10:19:18 pm »
Nothing rev's harder than someone else's car....

Yes there be! a hire car......My reasoning    They rev harder as your paying for it!  Someone else's car you have just bludged of em for free 8)...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:23:57 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 10:29:25 pm »
As a Triumph rider, Marlon Brando as Johnny in the Wild One must get a mention surely......... 8) 8) 8)

Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 10:30:19 pm »
Nothing rev's harder than someone else's car....

Yes there be! a hire car......My reasoning    They rev harder as your paying for it!  Someone else's car you have just bludged of em for free 8)...

I might dispute that claim I had access to a computer that could raise the rev limit.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 10:34:46 pm »
I might dispute that claim I had access to a computer that could raise the rev limit.

Neat idea,,, in my case I just push harder down with right foot ;) ;) ;)

If the speed don't make ya shit ya geriatrics incontinence pad ya not tryin....
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:38:29 pm by Tim754 »
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 10:36:21 pm »
Is Bullit the movie where the car makes 16 straight up-changes at the start?
 Tony I first heard that same question about another not so well known early seventies drag racer film titled "Two Lane Blacktop"  Worth a look if you come across it and the said car is a rough but yummy 55 Chevy in undercoat grey ;). It was different and yes you can see ideas, parts and scenes that were "pinched " and used in other films.

the 55 Chevy used in Two Lane Blacktop was the same 55 Chevy used in American Graffiti, aparently...
i remember reading a story in an old Car Craft magazine where they tested the car.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 10:41:15 pm »
I've been reprimanded elsewhere on here for for showing double standards by slagging Darcy Ward the troubled speedway rider yet ignoring Steve McQueens bad behaviour with sex and drugs and ex wives. C'est la Vie, I still think he's cool, something little Darcy will probably never be...........Anyway I've got a book called McQueens Cars and when I saw his XJSS Jaguar I started dribbling. He might have had some personal shortcomings but he had exquisite tastes in cars, bikes and women....both of his wives were hot.

Note the ever present gasper stuck to his lip. That unfortunately is what killed him in the end.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:16:04 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 10:42:15 pm »
What about the Fonzie ;D  in happy days  on the triumph

Curly3

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 10:44:16 pm »
You could be right Tim, I've been in renta Holden Gemini, valve bouncing in reverse and keeping up with the traffic across the Story Bridge in Brisbane.
We were in Briz for the Aus qualfying final in 79 - 80? and the original meeting was rained off so MA had to put us all up in a Motel for a couple of nights and provide transport.
I'm here to tell you that all hell broke loose over those few days.
The car was being driven by Syd Speedway identity, Mick Lillis, anyone that knows Mick will not be at all surprised.
Back on topic, Steve the hell raiser.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 10:44:53 pm »
Would love the car! but take the model all so.

Voltaire.