Author Topic: The art of being cool  (Read 40387 times)

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: The art of being cool
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2013, 07:45:04 pm »
Cool has no boundaries. This shot was taken nearly 70 years ago yet it could have been taken yesterday.

Now we are talking!  Uber cool.  Got the bike, but could do with one of those happy beautiful women on the back.  My wife is beautiful and happy, just not around bikes.....!

Offline Bumper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2013, 08:44:56 pm »
then my wife is max cool ,if i mope around the house
she says raid the piggy bank ,go buy yourself another
f**ken bike.now that is cool she even helped put up
the 2nd shed to fit them all them in  and got the beer :D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2013, 10:10:28 pm »
This little English rose might not be as gorgeous as the American babe on the Harley above but she's as cool as penguin piss to me. The sensible floral frock and school teacher spectacles hide the thrill seekin' party girl within.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:16:10 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2013, 11:52:38 pm »

For Me , this guy was one very special  cool dude . :)
 My old man,.... got me into bikes ,.....I  learnt  a lot from him .
  Regards,
                 Steve

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:54:30 pm by b490 »

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 06:29:40 am »
And here I was thinking that the cool people only rode Hodakas, like John Wayne, Mike Connors and Peter Graves!

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 08:16:50 am »
 You cant mention cool without mentioning Lee marvin - A list actor , one of the original wild one's , both onscreen and off ! Desert racer (chequers club), Big game fisher,when asked to be in the jaws movie Lee said " what would i tell my fishing buddies about pulling in dummy sharks  :D lee used to come over to cairns marlin fishing most years and talking to  captain  "brazzaka" wallace  it was a blast   8)

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 10:11:13 am »
while Steve McQueen was cool, i think now people are confusing cool with photogenic.
guys like Marlon Brando, George C Scott and John Wayne were never cool, and to even mention Henry Winkler......  ::)

and that 'wild one' pic of Brando, well looks like he's got a broomstick up his date...  :D

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2013, 10:22:17 am »
Zakk......you weren't meant to take the John Wayne etc post seriously, I thought that was pretty obvious but apparently not.

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2013, 10:26:22 am »
Zakk......you weren't meant to take the John Wayne etc post seriously, I thought that was pretty obvious but apparently not.

:D  :D
sorry Ken, i didn't pic the sarcasim...

i've always found it best to use italic's when being sarcastic, like

nobody was cooler than Estrada in CHiPS  ;D

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2013, 11:01:12 am »
No worries Zakk - they are pretty funny shots I reckon!  All three are trying to be cool.....but not quite getting there.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2013, 11:01:43 am »
I think many see McQueen as cool because he was a movie star version of us...a regular bloke who rode dirt bikes, liked fast cars, drank beer and chased pussy. He may well have been an arsehole in the real world but it's the perception of cool that lives on. Our old mate Marsh Runyon who visited here from the USA to race at the 93 Ravenswood Nats on his Harley 900 motocrosser knew McQueen through Bud Ekins and the desert racing scene. He always maintained that McQueen was a regular guy who enjoyed being with his motorcycle mates much more than strutting the Hollywood scene.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2013, 11:14:23 am »
I'll add a Roy Rogers and Clint Eastwood to the mix.............Clint's cool, Roy's not.

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2013, 11:23:06 am »
And here I was thinking that the cool people only rode Hodakas, like John Wayne, Mike Connors and Peter Graves!

looks to me like some Hodaka dealer paid them to be photo'd sitting on the brand new bikes. the conversation went something like " no worry's guy's.. the engine's wont be running, just sit there and people will think you're hip dude's..."

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2013, 11:29:06 am »
I think many see McQueen as cool because he was a movie star version of us...a regular bloke who rode dirt bikes, liked fast cars, drank beer and chased pussy. He may well have been an arsehole in the real world but it's the perception of cool that lives on. Our old mate Marsh Runyon who visited here from the USA to race at the 93 Ravenswood Nats on his Harley 900 motocrosser knew McQueen through Bud Ekins and the desert racing scene. He always maintained that McQueen was a regular guy who enjoyed being with his motorcycle mates much more than strutting the Hollywood scene.

Kelvin Franks use to tell me about the times Steve McQueen would ride at their MotoX meetings at Saddleback Pk. Kelvin knew Bud Ekins, and he would put entries in for McQueen under different names. most of the times he wouldn't make it to the meeting's, or he'd only be there for practice before some movie producer would send a helicopter in to fly McQueen away...

cool  8)

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2013, 03:11:20 pm »
Yeah McQueen was cool. If the people around him didn't like his behavior they could have left.
They didn't,....... James Coburn was real cool.