Author Topic: Cat amongst the pigeons: Why do 76-81 YZ's sell so much cheaper than the others?  (Read 6174 times)

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
Why do 76-81 YZ's sell so much cheaper than the others?

Without the obvious "because they're sh*t" I have noticed that lets say a race ready 79 YZ 250F in good cosmetic condition will sell for far less than a similar bike of the other 3 brands?

(Yes I know there are lots of other brands but I am comparing the 4 Japs) (Is that racists to say Jap when it's not a slider?)

I have seen the above bike struggle to make $2500 but the others, especially the Hondas, (Not Mugen) go for $4000+. The only one that seems to hold its own is the 250G & there's another puzzle. I would have thought the H with 43mm forks in lieu of 38mm & a 5 speed in lieu of a 6 would be a better choice (2nd, 3rd & sometimes 4th is all I use on most tracks) but I hear most reguard the G as one of the best Evos ever. (Others words not mine, you know the whole messenger thing)

Yes the YZ motors were a bit peaky (Not that bad), the 77-79 monoshock needed some work, (But only good riders could tell) but the rest of the bike was as good as any other!
My point is I honestly don't think my laptimes be any better or worse on any of the 4 once used to the bike. My times are so spasmodic you would struggle to get an average (Timed with a sundial or calendar) So why are the Yammys so cheap compared to others? I know there are some sort after models but as a whole they do suffer.

Anyone looking to get into the sport should look for a Yammy. Cheap to buy, lots of NOS parts still available through local dealers & good resale value. (Can't go too much backwards)

Opinions please.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:24:34 pm by Viper666 »
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Maybe Yamaha owners/riders/lovers are tight fisted?

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
I was gunna say" because they are shit", but you already covered that, so......I don't know. Back to work, the boss is back from lunch ;)

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
Would it be a supply and demand issue ie there's a lot more Yamahas available compared to Hondas etc hence the lower prices ?

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
I think the value of all have come down
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
I think they sold boat loads of them at the time so there are just more of them the G/H models are great bikes and make perfect evo runner.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
I think the value of all have come down

I think it's what people are "prepared to pay" that determines where the market is heading now, there is a glut of dreamers wanting 2008 prices for their bikes but there are buyers who have become more conservative with their valuations and no middle ground between the two.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
i think they just sold more of them and that was probably because they advertised them better.
here in SA Yamaha Pitmans were advertising and selling YZ's and RDLC's big time, every magazine ran storys about Steve Gall and everybody knew Steve Gall was a Yamaha pilot, plus they had Leisk and Willoughby in all the magazines too.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
And the rest
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
They're just so plain and all look the same from 77-81, the most boring bike on the track. Sure most are competitive but very un inspiring. A lot of people building vintage bikes want something that looks trick and Yamaha's just don't do it for me..

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
All good points , especially that there are a lot of them about and that they look plain.I think because  you can't see the shock , one of the most interesting aspects of the era is the suspension , especially trick and aftermarket shocks and swingarms .The aftermarket arms for YZ dont look much different and the shock is hidden but I still like em :)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
I think because  you can't see the shock , one of the most interesting aspects of the era is the suspension , especially trick and aftermarket shocks and swingarms .The aftermarket arms for YZ dont look much different and the shock is hidden but I still like em :)
Exactly, i was going to mention that also ;)

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC

Interested to see if he gets $3000 for the 465. I sold one in perfect working order, but in need of a tidy cosmetically, with spare cylinder head & transmission for $2850.
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
They're just so plain and all look the same from 77-81, the most boring bike on the track. Sure most are competitive but very un inspiring. A lot of people building vintage bikes want something that looks trick and Yamaha's just don't do it for me..

Maybe right there but in 81 I reckon yammy had the best looking open class bike. That 81 Honda is hideous.

But if you want real sexy check these out...( not vmx ) www.indianmotorcycles.com.au
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B