Author Topic: Cat amongst the pigeons: Why do 76-81 YZ's sell so much cheaper than the others?  (Read 6171 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
They're just so plain and all look the same from 77-81, the most boring bike on the track. Sure most are competitive but very un inspiring. A lot of people building vintage bikes want something that looks trick and Yamaha's just don't do it for me..

Maybe right there but in 81 I reckon yammy had the best looking open class bike. That 81 Honda is hideous.

I reckon Maico and Husky had the best looking 81's.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Would it be a supply and demand issue ie there's a lot more Yamahas available compared to Hondas etc hence the lower prices ?

how do you explain rm's from '77 onwards? They were the bike to have, in abundance and command better prices than yz's. euro bikes are the better looking Evo bikes!

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
They're just so plain and all look the same from 77-81, the most boring bike on the track. Sure most are competitive but very un inspiring. A lot of people building vintage bikes want something that looks trick and Yamaha's just don't do it for me..

Maybe right there but in 81 I reckon yammy had the best looking open class bike. That 81 Honda is hideous.

I reckon Maico and Husky had the best looking 81's.

So do I but he was only talking jap bikes ;)
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
I reckon the 250H is so much better than the G as an Evo race bike. Hands down a far better bike.
The yammies are an acquired taste. They feel so different to ride courtesy of the top heavy mono.

mainline

I reckon they're one of the best looking bikes of the era

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile

Come on mainline.. :o Compared to the 79 KX and RM that thing's a dinosaur that still looks like a 125D with a shiny swingarm!

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Nice stand
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

mainline

Come on mainline.. :o Compared to the 79 KX and RM that thing's a dinosaur that still looks like a 125D with a shiny swingarm!

That's only because the monoshocks were ahead of their time. Don't get me wrong, I think they all have their place and i'd own any of them in a heartbeat.
 I don't think any of us would look back on this era with such passion if all the bikes didn't have such different looks from one another.

Offline Woody

• A-Grade
  • Heaven #70
    • View Profile
mmm, very plain. aren't they  ::)

WANTED 

1988/89 125 - CR KX YZ   
YZ125G, YZ250H and YZ80G parts
IT200 stuff
CR250RD parts

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile

That's only because the monoshocks were ahead of their time. Don't get me wrong, I think they all have their place and i'd own any of them in a heartbeat.
 I don't think any of us would look back on this era with such passion if all the bikes didn't have such different looks from one another.
I'm just having a dig at you :) I actually had a brand new 250E and 400F back in the day..

mainline

All cool, I know some have their faves. My problem is I want one of each ;D

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile

I agree with mainline. Nicest bike of the era!

'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
The second most popular thing to do to a YZ to make it interesting is to make it yellow (or white if you live in the USA)

The most popular thing to do to a YZ to make it interesting is to use the wheels and forks to build a HL

:D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

maico police

The most popular thing to do to a YZ to make it interesting is to use the wheels and forks to build a HL

Yes its nice to know that those wheels and forks, after years of handling bumps at high speed, finally get a chance to have a relax.

It's a bit like a retirement home for them.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:54:22 am by Mont »