Author Topic: Flattrack Nats OLD SCHOOL TWINS  (Read 48230 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Flattrack Nats OLD SCHOOL TWINS
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »
cant see why not as some pre 60 bikes came ridged from the factory.it would be a pre65 bike and some pre 65 bikes are ridged
Exactly. I brought it up with a few guys at the Nepean practice day last Saturday and the concensus echoed Foss, "Yeah, rigid frames are not allowed in modern Dirt Track, this was brought in some years ago to stamp out the use of Speedway frames in DT, however, I can't find any rule that prohibits rigid arse ends in Classic DT." While it might be a while before I get to build this cool old bit of American DT history, I'd like to be able to compete in the pre 65 class on it. Here's a finished version of what I'll build

below: A close replica of this Sonic/Trackmaster rigid framed Royal Enfield Fury (fat head) is to be built by a Sydney racer for the pre 60/pre 65 dirt track class in the near future.                                                                                 

A Sonic Ducati narrow case rigid 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:57:24 PM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2013, 10:28:05 PM »
OLD SCHOOL TWINS
while the class is called twins it is open to all multi cylinder machines, the more exotic the better,
Hopefully enough numbers to separate the racers from the clubmen,
Open to all Aircooled multi cylinder machines of any Capacity or Watercooled multi cylinder machines where the engine was manufactured prior to 1990.
Machines can include,

Harley Davidson 
Triumph 500, 650 and 750.
Yamaha XS650, 750, TZ/RD 350 and 400
BSA 650 Lightning
Norton Commando 750 and 850
Weslake 850
SUZUKI T500 and GT550/750 Triples
Honda CB350/400/450/500/600/650/750
Kawasaki 750 Twin and the Triples
Benelli / Laverda / MotoGuzzi.

We are still formulating rules and are listening,
The more the merrier,
Aftermarket framed Trackers is what we are looking for, but modified stock frames are eligible
The above list is just suggestions
RD 350 / 400 just perfect for this class

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2013, 09:59:30 PM »
I got a call from Steve Gall today and he told me that he's intending to build a Yamaha Tenere twin powered flat tracker. He also put in the hard word on riding my OW72 but I told him I already had a rider lined up. I did however offer him the odd guest ride whenever my usual bloke is away working overseas ;).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »
Steve phoned me after Mark,
A bike or two will be available whenever Steve's schedule allows,
Having Steve Gall wanting to compete in this class shows we are heading in the right direction.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2013, 11:11:46 AM »
I've been doing some research on the history of my Shell OW 72 Yamaha and got a reply from well known California racer/constructor/historian/collector Clyde Williams who sent me a couple of photos of my bike when my friend the late Bob Neilson owned it. Bob had also asked Clyde if he knew any of the history of frame #592 but knowing little, Clyde has steered me towards Tom Horton who could possibly have the late Shell Thuets records. OW72 engines traditionally don't have engine numbers but can often be identified by internal numbering of rods, crank flywheels and other parts. All of the engine part numbering was different from motor to motor so Shells little exercise book might be the only sure way of identifying who the engine was supplied to. The belief by Bob Neilsons wife Linda that Horton had rebuilt the engine for Bob might get me a little closer to the truth.

Part of the joy of my involvement in writing about old bikes and the sport itself is the research into the history of particular bikes. Maybe it's my DNA as the son of a detective or maybe its my insatiable curiosity, who knows for sure, I do however have a sneaking feeling that there'll be a good story attached to this bike. These bikes weren't sold to just anybody, they were way to expensive and hard to get for the average 'C grader/Novice/intermediate' racer as a works bike should be. This bike's sure to have done the hard miles, I just have to find out who was doing the riding. 

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:29:29 AM by firko »

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
Why should "works" bikes be out of reach, unobtainable to "C grader, intermediate etc riders.  ??? ??? >:(

A good developed, performing machine may just make an "A" grader out of a "C" grader riding a less competitive bike.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 05:20:15 PM by Sorelegs11 »
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2013, 09:35:06 PM »
Why should "works" bikes be out of reach, unobtainable to "C grader, intermediate etc riders.  Huh Huh Angry
In a perfect world you're absolutely right, a good C grader could make the grade if given a chance to ride a works bike but because these bikes were so rare, they usually went to name riders. It might not be fair but that's the way the system usually works. The factories build works bikes to win championships, not offer hope for up and comers. I can't recall a works special being offered to anyone other than works or at least pro riders in any facet of motorcycle sport....ever.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »
Why should "works" bikes be out of reach, unobtainable to "C grader, intermediate etc riders.  Huh Huh Angry
In a perfect world you're absolutely right, a good C grader could make the grade if given a chance to ride a works bike but because these bikes were so rare, they usually went to name riders. It might not be fair but that's the way the system usually works. The factories build works bikes to win championships, not offer hope for up and comers. I can't recall a works special being offered to anyone other than works or at least pro riders in any facet of motorcycle sport....ever.
Though I have heard that the odd,very rich, America dad have bought some special or other to help their kid get on top....if it worked or not is another matter.
Also heard of a guy in NSW that bought an ex Repsol Dakar bike to go trail riding...(for $45k) :o

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »

Though I have heard that the odd,very rich, America dad have bought some special or other to help their kid get on top....if it worked or not is another matter.
Also heard of a guy in NSW that bought an ex Repsol Dakar bike to go trail riding...(for $45k)
There are exceptions to everything but you'd rarely, if ever see a big factory offer up a works bike that could cost up to a million dollars to a C grader. The key word you used in the bloke using a Dakar bike for trail riding is "ex Repsol". Once a works bike has done its job it become yesterdays newspaper to the teams and they're either put through the crusher, donated to the factory racers private collection or sold to a lower rung team. That's when the up and coming C grader might get his golden opportunity to ride a works bike but it can never be compared to a works ride.

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2013, 11:10:02 AM »
I heard the same thing EML, Andys old bike would make an excellent adventure bike, and talking piece around the camp fire, or outback bar. I do believe the bike was given to his wife when he pasted away, then was sold to get some coin together for his wife and kids  some years later..... RIP Mr Cauldercott..
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2013, 08:22:49 AM »
Yes Firko I understand that it was an EX Repsol Dakar bike. the point was that 'cheque book racing' is and always has been alive and well.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
Jimmy's, SON's and my flat trackers have finally left Las Vegas and are on their way to Long Beach to be loaded on the ship for Oz. Linda and here helpers have certainly made this as smooth an operation as possible. Everything looks to be perfectly packaged and well protected for the journey. I can't wait ;D.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »
Awesome!
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2013, 11:05:36 PM »
BIG TWINS 
Harley Davidson 
XR750, 883, 1100 & 1200 Sportster / Buell or V Rod1000
Honda 
VTR1000, Transalp/Shadow 600,650,700, 750 or 1000
Suzuki  
SV SFV or DL650, TL SV or DL1000.
Yamaha 
XS 650,  TDM or TRX 750, 850 or 900.
Kawasaki 650,
Hyosung 650,
CF Moto 650
BMW 800
Husqvarna 900
Triumph 800 or 900 or Triples?
DUCATI anything over 550cc
APRILIA anything over 550cc
Any other suggestions???

While the Class is called Big Twins it is open to 3 or 4 cylinder machines of over 550ccs as well but the high horsepower and light flywheel weight of these machines will make traction difficult,
Again I am happy to be proved wrong

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2013, 11:08:05 PM »
OLD SCHOOL SINGLES
We obviously will have a vintage singles class,
Astros, Champions, Redlines Trackmasters,
I want to see them all, thats why I am letting this out so far in advance,
Just not sure how to get them all in and have competitive racing