Author Topic: Flattrack Nats OLD SCHOOL TWINS  (Read 48204 times)

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Flattrack Nats OLD SCHOOL TWINS
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2013, 11:13:35 PM »
Singles will be covered in other classes,
1/.ProLites
2/. ProOpens
3/. Big Singles
4/. Old School Twins
5/. Big Twins

6/. Old School Singles

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
Just have some heats/qualifiers and time everyone(transponders) and then seed them into a final...no matter what bike they are on and then settle the classes from there maybe.

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2013, 08:12:21 PM »
The big problem is that our Classic events are getting very crowded.
If this Class is gunna have any chance of survival we need to produce evidence of competitive numbers.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »
The big problem is that our Classic events are getting very crowded.
If this Class is gunna have any chance of survival we need to produce evidence of competitive numbers.
If this class is Gunnar have any chance of survival we need to have sponsors prepared to build bikes for others to race on their behalf for their enjoyment.
Cheap racing

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2013, 11:09:29 PM »

.If this class is Gunnar have any chance of survival we need to have sponsors prepared to build bikes for others to race on their behalf for their enjoyment.
That's exactly what I'm intending to do because I want this to happen. Yamaico Pete is riding my Shell 750 and Steve Gall will get the ride if Pete's unavailable due to overseas work. I've decided to build my Trackmaster up with the 650 Triumph engine I bought to replace the sold Benelli motor which either I'll ride or I'll put another faster mate in it. It won't be a ball tearer with a stock TR6 650 but it'll be plenty fast for this old fat guy. The third bike for the twins will be my rigid Tom Cates framed C77 Honda 305 that I'll also contribute to the class.

More than anything I look forward to match racing Jimmy on his Yetman ;D.

For a change of pace.....how cool is this 750 Honda 8).

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2013, 03:18:39 AM »
Thanks Mark, I know you are part of the program.
For this Class to survive we need "Good People to do Something".
I have been around Racing Motorcycles long enough to know what is exciting and what people will pay money to see.
BTW Honda 4 Yes, 750cc No

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2013, 06:53:39 AM »
thats a great looking honda four

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2013, 10:03:13 AM »
slides is right i think the penrith club maybe thinking twice about running the class.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »
I spoke to Roy re penrith meeting and because there is only 3 enries the class will not be run this round but if they get 6 entries it will be run next round so get them going ;D
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2013, 10:34:42 AM »
slides is right i think the penrith club maybe thinking twice about running the class.
Why would Penrith club even think of doing that? There are a number of eligible twins already racing with the club and while this year might be a bit slow to get decent fields, by next year I'm pretty sure there'll be full grids . I know of six bikes being built and how many others are there sitting waiting for something to happen?
If this Class is gunna have any chance of survival we need to produce evidence of competitive numbers
The concept of American style twins racing has only just got rolling so it'd be a bit premature to expect full grids (or even half grids) this early in the piece. Now that the existence of the class is becoming more known, we'll get more and more race bikes coming on line. Besides the Caslick and Watto bikes that SON mentioned I know that Steve Gall is about to start on a Yamaha Tenere based modern and another well known former slider racer has vowed to return on a big bore tracker. If you count in the four bikes currently on the water to my shipper alone and the bikes under construction or, like Phippsy's Shell Yamaha 750, just sitting in semi retirement waiting the inspiration to come out there is more than enough evidence of "competitive numbers".

We don't have to go very far back to remember the full grids of 750 flat trackers that were running in conjunction with the Ivan Mauger and Kevin McDonald promoted Long Track Speedway series'. Many of those bikes are still out there (although Jack Stevens has his Nourish 850 Redline on the street these days Jack's indicated that he'd be a starter on another bike if anyone's looking for a gun for hire ::)).
If all of the balls fall in the right place there will be plenty of bikes up and ready next year.

One suggestion that makes sense to me is to include a class for single and 2 stroke framers like my new Yamaha, Phippsy's Champion SC500, Yamaico Pete's IZ465 Yamaha and Astro 360, Jimmy's Champion Elsinore, Piney's new Kawasaki and the numerous other Astros and other short trackers that are around. I know of six or seven of them doing duty as garage queens or waiting for an engine or a rebuild. As many know, short track style bikes don't handle our tracks as well as a motocross oriented machine so they often stay home in the pool room. Wouldn't it be great if a separate class could be included for these bikes, if only to get them out in public again? It's already passed that there'll be a class for short trackers on the Nepean speedway track to run in conjunction with the club speedway days which will be a lot of fun, I'm sure ;D.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:18:28 PM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »

True, it is (or was) a CB500 or CB550.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
rue, it is (or was) a CB500 or CB550. 

My Bad, it just goes to show how much I'm out of my depth with Honda roadies. This is a CB750 flat tracker though ::)

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »
   And this is how to get a 750/4 round a corner  8)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
Bloody hell ! A good keen man. I recall seeing a pic of Paul Giles banging round a short track with a stock roadie CB750 years back, hats off....
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »

True, it is (or was) a CB500 or CB550.
close,but no cigar ;),uncommon,unloved by some,CB650/4, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!