Author Topic: What bikes would you like VMX to feature?  (Read 24430 times)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What bikes would you like VMX to feature?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 10:57:13 am »
I heard there has only been 2 action covers because Bill can't pan a camera…

;D  ;D  ;D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 11:58:07 am »
No matter what you want in a magazine, the bloke standing next to you wants something different.....it's the human units diverse tastes in action. While Charlie might want more pre 65 bikes in VMX, young Trent will want more post 1985 bikes. Jack might want to see more low budget home built specials yet his mate Jock wants more works exotica, it's that human diversity thing again. No matter what bikes VMX features, the entire issue is never going to appeal to every reader. The big task for editor Ken and the contributors is to find a mix that keeps the majority interested. In that respect I think that Ken (and Ray) have done a pretty good job in covering the wide spectrum that is the old dirt bike scene.

Because of my involvement with the magazine I was a bit hesitant to leap into this discussion but last night, with nothing worth a shit on the telly I sat down and went through my VMX stash to get my head around the variety that's been offered up since issue one and what I found was everything you guys are calling for. Sure, the 'Blokes and Sheds' section has faded into the background a bit and the HL had more appearances than Johnny Farnham "last gigs" but overall the mag seems to cover all motocross eras pretty bloody well. One of the problems with the 'Blokes and Sheds' section is to actually find interesting sheds and collections that the owners are willing to expose to the world. I have a couple of good mates with world class collections whom I've tried numerous times to let me do a piece on, yet both of them have refused for both security and privacy issues....they just plain don't want the world to know everything they've got. I know Ray met with the same reaction at times and although I haven't discussed this with Ken, I'd be surprised if he hasn't copped the same response from other potential Blokes and Sheds candidates.

Commenting as a fan rather than contributor, I'd like to see the occasional dirt track and speedway feature bikes and historical pieces, maybe an EVO/pre 85 cheap racer build up spread over two issues and more build details in some of the articles. Other than that I'm pretty content with the magazine as it stands today. The critics of VMX need to check out Classic Dirt Bike to see what happens when good content becomes secondary to matey back slapping and poorly researched pieces on bikes that wouldn't make the first cut in any other publication. They might then realise just what a world class magazine VMX is.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:23:12 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 12:05:49 pm »
Agree Firko. J

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 12:19:27 pm »
The critics of VMX need to check out Classic Dirt Bike to see what happens when good content becomes secondary to matey back slapping and poorly researched pieces on bikes that wouldn't make the first cut in any other publication. They might then realise just what a world class magazine VMX is.

Too true, I still buy Classic Dirt Bike but the bikes that really made it interesting, like the various 3 speed methanol BSA B44 shit kickers, faded away and replaced by dodgy rebuild articles on dicked Armstrongs, then it started to feel like throwing a straving VMX Ethiopian a bit of wax fruit.

The quality rebuild articles seem to always go well, as opposed to the lets build this old shitter for cheap ones.

I think the HL500 is a subject so vast it needs its own book  ;)
formerly Marc.com

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 12:27:09 pm »
No matter what you want in a magazine, the bloke standing next to you wants something different.....it's the human units diverse tastes in action. While Charlie might want more pre 65 bikes in VMX, young Trent will want more post 1985 bikes. Jack might want to see more low budget home built specials yet his mate Jock wants more works exotica, it's that human diversity thing again. No matter what bikes VMX features, the entire issue is never going to appeal to every reader. The big task for editor Ken and the contributors is to find a mix that keeps the majority interested. In that respect I think that Ken (and Ray) have done a pretty good job in covering the wide spectrum that is the old dirt bike scene.

Because of my involvement with the magazine I was a bit hesitant to leap into this discussion but last night, with nothing worth a shit on the telly I sat down and went through my VMX stash to get my head around the variety that's been offered up since issue one and what I found was everything you guys are calling for. Sure, the 'Blokes and Sheds' section has faded into the background a bit and the HL had more appearances than Johnny Farnham "last gigs" but overall the mag seems to cover all motocross eras pretty bloody well. One of the problems with the 'Blokes and Sheds' section is to actually find interesting sheds and collections that the owners are willing to expose to the world. I have a couple of good mates with world class collections whom I've tried numerous times to let me do a piece on, yet both of them have refused for both security and privacy issues....they just plain don't want the world to know everything they've got. I know Ray met with the same reaction at times and although I haven't discussed this with Ken, I'd be surprised if he hasn't copped the same response from other potential Blokes and Sheds candidates.

Commenting as a fan rather than contributor, I'd like to see the occasional dirt track and speedway feature bikes and historical pieces, maybe an EVO/pre 85 cheap racer build up spread over two issues and more build details in some of the articles. Other than that I'm pretty content with the magazine as it stands today. The critics of VMX need to check out Classic Dirt Bike to see what happens when good content becomes secondary to matey back slapping and poorly researched pieces on bikes that wouldn't make the first cut in any other publication. They might then realise just what a world class magazine VMX is.

All very true... but good, constructive feedback is always welcome... it is YOUR magazine afterall.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

maico police

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 12:27:46 pm »

As a bike that dominated the motocross scene as it did, I think it deserves its own public holiday.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 12:46:48 pm »

As a bike that dominated the motocross scene as it did, I think it deserves its own public holiday.

Yep, I think that while the HL is a good thing at the time it was not the bike that you would have had (if you could get one) that was going to be your race salvation. Like an old mans memories the legend got bigger than the event. :D
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

TM BILL

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2012, 12:50:15 pm »
[quote

The quality rebuild articles seem to always go well, as opposed to the lets build this old shitter for cheap ones.

Difference is that i think you will find the majority of "lets build this old shitter for cheap ones" are actually raced rather than put in a glass shed and wanked over by the followers who like to exchange notes on how much we spent on the build  ;) . That said not all nice builds are faggoty glass house queens , many forum members have built beautifull examples and then get out and use them for what they were originaly designed for  :)

Rod Sprys builds are stunning but i know the ones he builds for himself see active service regulary  :)

Sadly there is an element of elitism or needle dick sydrome that creeps into VMX as in all walks of life  ::) where its not about the bike or the build but its all about telling the world how much you are worth  ::)  

I think you will find they feature heavily in the DOG and LEMON guide

TM BILL

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2012, 12:52:35 pm »
[quote author=firko link=topic= The critics of VMX need to check out Classic Dirt Bike to see what happens when good content becomes secondary to matey back slapping and poorly researched pieces on bikes that wouldn't make the first cut in any other publication. They might then realise just what a world class magazine VMX is.
[/quote]

Agreed 100% :)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2012, 12:53:45 pm »

Well it may make more sense than boxing day. The HL500 could have been the Husaberg/Husky 510 or YZF of its era with a bit more development and a faster rider.

Anywayz back on subject I think Firko leans more in  the direction of rare bikes and hysterical interest than I do, though would love to see an XR750 and miler feature.  

I think it could be time to re run a few favourite bikes, with some fresh story lines and bikes, given that we hopefully have a new generation of VMXers coming through that were only in short pants for issue 1. Also just looking at the 88 YZ250 that is up for grabs at the moment a few more pre 90 bikes could be in order, rather than going back to the future
formerly Marc.com

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 12:57:56 pm »

tongue-in-cheek (tngn-chk)
adj.
Meant or expressed ironically or facetiously.
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2012, 12:58:27 pm »
Sadly there is an element of elitism or needle dick sydrome that creeps into VMX as in all walks of life  ::) where its not about the bike or the build but its all about telling the world how much you are worth  ::)  [/color]

VMX it is more like telling the world how much less you are worth ;D, but there will always be an arms race amoungst competitive faggoty gentlemen, it brings the breed forward.   ;)

Back to the subject and I really hear what you are saying Bill,  I think it is more than possible to build a sweet race bike, to a high quality for not much cash in the current financial climate, buying well on the internet and this would make some great reading.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:16:12 pm by marc.com »
formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 01:05:14 pm »
Sadly there is an element of elitism or needle dick sydrome that creeps into VMX as in all walks of life  ::) where its not about the bike or the build but its all about telling the world how much you are worth  ::)  [/color]

Have you been spying on my dick in the showers again Bill  ::)

Mate i didn't mention names  :-* but if the cap fits  ;) and i dont spy its not my style , if i want a look ill have a look  :-*

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »
Mate i didn't mention names  :-* but if the cap fits  ;) and i dont spy its not my style , if i want a look ill have a look  :-* ( we should call you Rod Spy)

I just made my point to you a littrle better Bill, I think there is a lot of space with the current financial climate to build bikes that are cheap and cool, I don't want to give the imprression I am baggin off economical builds..... just badly executed ones
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:32:32 pm by marc.com »
formerly Marc.com

albrid-3

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 01:49:23 pm »
look out the shits going to hit the fan soon, and everybody will agree to disagree. in the end, ken with will do what best for VMX, we see a lot of very good machines around the world which is good,
it makes us druell and gives us ideas, lets not go away from the idea that vmx it is an Australian Magazine, that needs more than one page about Australian VMX, Currant and History, I am sure that the rest of the world would like to know more about ozzy`s and what model make of bikes we ride and also the projects that we are building, race meeting that are happening around the country, are any of you interested in the currant VMX riders that are placing well at club level events in Vic, NSW, QLD, WA, SA, Tassy, it may be a good idea to know so you know who you are racing against at the next Australian Vintage Title. The old day where good, and the memories are great, but the old days have gone, its currant issue that matter, club race meeting, bikes and bits whos making them, where to buy them, Etc, Etc.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:12:56 pm by Dave #6 »