Author Topic: What bikes would you like VMX to feature?  (Read 24411 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: What bikes would you like VMX to feature?
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 02:20:08 pm »
Been remarkably little comment on "I want more bikes from a particular era" - at least in this thread. :)

The regular theme is that the feature bikes and the Blokes & Sheds stuff have moved away from the typical enthisiast who does the best he can with the skills/tools/budget at hand.
It's not a desire to see shitboxes, it's a desire to see bikes we can relate to.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

TM BILL

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 02:22:18 pm »
Mate i didn't mention names  :-* but if the cap fits  ;) and i dont spy its not my style , if i want a look ill have a look  :-* ( we should call you Rod Spy)

Mate you can call me Susan if that makes you happy  :-*

I just made my point to you a littrle better Bill, I think there is a lot of space with the current financial climate to build bikes that are cheap and cool, I don't want to give the imprression I am baggin off economical builds..... just badly executed ones

Back to the point of the thread , i am first and foremost a racer ( not a very good one but a racer at heart  :)) I can really appreciate a nice build regardless of cost as it is somthing i dont believe i am able of doing well as i dont have an eye for the detail  :-[

Mike Felton and Rod Sprys builds are outstanding and i would give my right one to have a fraction of thier talent  :) My mates Jimson and Doc again have both built some great bikes ( personal favorites are Jimsons Indian and Docs TSM 125  8)) again these blokes pour their hearts and souls into their builds and acheive fantastic results .

The JTR (Joan Tite Racing ) builds again always look the goods and no corners are cut during the build to produce good looking but very competitive and reliable race bikes .

DJs Nogouchi build documented on this forum was a brilliant build  :) built buy a building tradesperson with no mechanical or engineering training and only hand tools on a budget in his living room  8)

Look at the Bikes Yamaico Pete turns out on a budget  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Bloody outstanding built by a true craftsman on a budget  :)

KB171s Awesome HL 80  8) 8) i wanna see builds like these in the magazine  :)

Sure the exotica is all very nice  :) but IMHO if 90% of it is farmed out to other people to do the work then its like rent a root  ::) sure it looks good but it aint really yours and everbody knows it  ;D builders who are hands on get a lot more respect  ;) exept of course in rent a root circles  ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:33:31 pm by TM bill »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2012, 02:46:21 pm »
Sure the exotica is all very nice  :) but IMHO if 90% of it is farmed out to other people to do the work then its like rent a root  ::) sure it looks good but it aint really yours and everbody knows it  ;D builders who are hands on get a lot more respect  ;) exept of course in rent a root circles  ;D

Quite true Bill, always give credit where credit is due and I have done so in writing, but if you have specific case in mind feel free to point it out.

I mean all of us are really bike assemblers apart from a couple of notable exceptions that can start from scratch. If you want true scratch builder capability then my vote is for Kevin

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/suspension/auction-541922496.htm
formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2012, 02:57:47 pm »
FFS will you stop assuming im talking about you specificly  ::) ::) my opinions are generalised and not aimed at anyone person ( unless of course you feel you fit the mould )

Yes our Kev takes the word build to a whole new level  8) 8) Kev backs up his workshop skills with a great pace on the track  :)
One of Kevs builds was featured in VMX a while back his billet CZ submitted by another forum member :) Kev as with most of our legends of the sport is remarkably humble about what he is capable of and would probably shy away from a magazine feature .

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 03:04:54 pm »
…FFS will you stop assuming im talking about you specificly  ::) ::) my opinions are generalised and not aimed at anyone person ( unless of course you feel you fit the mould)…

Damn you Marc, Bill is talking directly to me OK!!!

Butt out Bro... 59 is missing your gay jokes…  ;)
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 03:49:37 pm »
I'd like to see more articles featuring Works bikes from the late 70's and 80's. For me growing up as a kid this was my era of motorcycles. I think VMX mag in general try to cover a broad range of motorcycles but sometimes I find the odd issue might cover more bikes from the 60's or British bikes.
   While there is nothing wrong with that, I just don't find that as interesting and that might be different to the next reader and so forth. I've read some great articles about Mugens & OW's and the occassional SR but haven't seen to many Suzuki or European works bikes. I'd love to read about Husky, Maico & Montessa works bikes. Were there many?
   Another section I would like to see is a feature on racers/ex racers. Having not grown up in the racing seen, not even as a spectator until in my teens I would like to hear from guys like Gall, Ballard, Phil Lovett and many more and what was their favourite bike to ride and give a detailed run down on what it was like in that Golden Era of motorcycling.
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

albrid-3

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2012, 05:12:31 pm »

Here is a works montesa VR 250, the engine is totally different (maicoman)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:14:03 pm by Dave #6 »

albrid-3

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2012, 05:14:30 pm »

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2012, 05:16:17 pm »
fork the bikes. Punt Kenny from Page 3 and re- introduce the Page 3 girl. Starting with Sammy Fox
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

albrid-3

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »
I like seeing 70 era factory bike too, works 125 DKW, Zundapp, odd ball factory bikes that where being built and raced, but we just don`t see them.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2012, 06:05:36 pm »
Eric and Douglas........ ;)

Not a bike but like Doggy Diggers pen musings , worthy of  joyous positive literary space.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:10:12 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2012, 06:20:09 pm »
Like that Walter :). but how about a compere oh.... The works factory brilliance of your EML Jumbo against crude low tech sleaze of my Honda 754 outfit ;) ;) ;),

"compere oh" and "bodgyness"  two fine renditions of the language :D :D :D :
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

albrid-3

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 07:14:44 pm »
BMW Sidecar team in the  60`s and 70`s , their is not much about sidecar racing in vmx, for that matter Australia sidecar history, Ken Adam`s from Geelong, Russel Burgmyer, the Roberson brothers, Arthur Byron from warrnambool, Tiny fro Deer Park, plus many others.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:18:24 pm by Dave #6 »

Offline mitch75

• C-Grade
  • Newcastle NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2012, 07:56:49 pm »
Maybe some single marque editions.
The year and models and some info on them.
Spotlight on some restored models of the marque.
Some feed back from owners and clubs.
How to repair common problems with them.
Anybody else read Classic Motorcycle Mechanic?.
Yamaha DT360a DT250b DT100c YZ400D WR250ZG.

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2012, 08:05:08 pm »
Thanks Dave for posting that sweet looking Montesa. You're right about the engine, unusual looking cases and so much air gap between the engine and the frame rails. I always love the crinkle cut fins on the Monties.
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.