Author Topic: Interesting shed projects  (Read 8699 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting shed projects
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 12:20:10 pm »
Noise = power
The very same principle was applied to shorty mufflers
And politicians. ;)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Montynut

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 12:28:00 pm »
Noise = power
The very same principle was applied to shorty mufflers
And politicians. ;)

;D ;D ;D Dam right

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 01:30:33 pm »
Must be a slow day at work.....I know a bloke who has a Canberra bomber in his back yard.....cool toy.....I reckon we should all chip in and buy one of the old army Iroquos choppers when the government finally gets round to selling them....how cool would that be to rock up to your next VMX meet in one of those....we could store it at GMC's ranch....I'm sure you wouldnt mind picking us all up Geoff...much easier than riding a DT400. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 01:59:08 pm »
There's a Canberra at HARS (http://hars.org.au/) in the "Gong. Looks fine (smaller than you'd think though) but isn't airworthy. Apparently it was used to take air samples after the A-bomb tests and, well, the decontamination process was a little too thorough.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 03:54:31 pm »
how cool would that be to rock up to your next VMX meet in one of those
And freak out any Vietnam vets that just happen to be there :o
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 04:02:38 pm »
how cool would that be to rock up to your next VMX meet in one of those
And freak out any Vietnam vets that just happen to be there :o

Ya know as somebody new'ish to this neck of the woods I keep forgetting about the ANZAC involvement in that war.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 05:58:47 pm »
 O K. My simple question although well answered by HVA61, to me has not addressed the real qustion.
 If the forward motion was bought about by the pressure of lots of air sqirting out the rear and it won't work in outer space (primarily 'cause there's no air to go in the front) how come a rocket will work in outer space even though there is nothing to thrust against?
 Is there a mechanical engineer on here that can answer?

I think I know how it works but I would like to hear an expert on this.
Cheers.pancho.

P.S. not VMX but this is in the correct forum space I believe. (general discussion.)
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

78rm80c

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 06:34:55 pm »
What, your telling me none of you blokes have a jet engine in your shed??  ???

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 07:19:27 pm »
Um... building one from scrap in my shed. Have procured various pumps for the fuel and turbine bearing lubrication   :) Working on the fuel injection and metering/firing  chambers and afterburner now. Blokes got ta have a project. Thanks to the internet for the plans.... Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Montynut

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 07:21:15 pm »
O K. My simple question although well answered by HVA61, to me has not addressed the real qustion.
 If the forward motion was bought about by the pressure of lots of air sqirting out the rear and it won't work in outer space (primarily 'cause there's no air to go in the front) how come a rocket will work in outer space even though there is nothing to thrust against?

I think I know how it works but I would like to hear an expert on this.
Cheers.pancho.

P.S. not VMX but this is in the correct forum space I believe. (general discussion.)

Laws of physics for each force there is an equal although opposite reactive force.
An example if you were in outer space and fired a gun (ignoring the fact that as there is no air would the bullet actually fire) the projectile would travel at a set speed in one direction and you would travel at the same speed in the opposite direction.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 07:22:27 pm »
What, your telling me none of you blokes have a jet engine in your shed??
I've got a butane gas torch and a dog that farts....either of them cut it?

Montynut

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 07:24:25 pm »
A friend of mine built a jet engine using a truck turbo and a kero heater jet and AC plug ignition. It certainly propelled his billy cart fast in a striaght line and made the most unbelievable amount of noise so maybe GMC is correct. I kid you not ;D  ::)

Offline ksithumper

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 07:27:17 pm »
  how come a rocket will work in outer space even though there is nothing to thrust against?

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Google rocket principle and you'll get something like this:

With rockets, the action is the expelling of gas out of the engine. The reaction is the movement of the rocket in the opposite direction. To enable a rocket to lift off from the launch pad, the action, or thrust, from the engine must be greater than the mass of the rocket. In space, however, even tiny thrusts will cause the rocket to change direction.

One of the most commonly asked questions about rockets is how they can work in space where there is no air for them to push against. The answer to this question comes from the third law. Imagine the skateboard again. On the ground, the only part air plays in the motions of the rider and the skateboard is to slow them down. Moving through the air causes friction, or as scientists call it, drag. The surrounding air impedes the action-reaction.

As a result rockets actually work better in space than they do in air. As the exhaust gas leaves the rocket engine it must push away the surrounding air; this uses up some of the energy of the rocket. In space, the exhaust gases can escape freely.

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 07:40:18 pm »
Laws of physics for each force there is an equal although opposite reactive force.

Almost true. The law actually states: "for each reaction there is an equal although opposite reaction.

An example if you were in outer space and fired a gun (ignoring the fact that as there is no air would the bullet actually fire) the projectile would travel at a set speed in one direction and you would travel at the same speed in the opposite direction.

Not true. P=mv. Momentum is conserved so m1v1 = m2v2. The bullet buggers off at say 200m/s (v1) and it weighs say 0.05 kg (50 grams, m1) so P = 200 x 0.05 = 10. But you weigh 80kgs (m2) so 10 = 80 x v2 giving 0.8 m/s for v2 or the rate at which you bugger off backwards. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_momentum#Conservation_of_linear_momentum
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:54:23 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 08:11:29 pm »
ignoring the fact that as there is no air would the bullet actually fire

Hmmm, so if gunpowder needs oxygen to explode how does the oxygen get inside the little brass chamber when it’s already full of gunpowder??
And the brass chamber is usually hidden away inside metal components making it hard for oxygen to get in quickly.

And if we sit things on our lap when we are sitting down where does our lap go when we stand up??

If only the forum intellect could be harnessed for good instead of…
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/