Author Topic: cost to rebuild?  (Read 8959 times)

gettinold

cost to rebuild?
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:16:48 am »
Ok guys and gals. Like most of you I am sure i am just about to start a rebuild on a VMX and am starting to ask my self the question about rebuilding or paying more up front and buy a GOOD one that someone else has already done most of the hard work etc.
I understand the pleasures of doing your self etc but it would also be good to be able to fast track and have a bike already done NOW and being able to ride now etc.

My question is are any of you willing o share a story otr 2 about the cost of your rebuilds etc?  ;D

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: cost to rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:33:44 am »
If you are going to keep it.....build it yourself properly..... parts and labour....over 10 K

If you wanna buy now FULLY rebuilt , expect to pay 7 to 12 K

If you wanna buy a supposedly fully rebuilt bike for under that....well it`s your call

81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:22:22 pm »

My question is are any of you willing o share a story otr 2 about the cost of your rebuilds etc?  ;D

Thats a long piece of string question  ;D
Two bikes:
TM250L more $$$$ spent than you could poke a stick at over 11 years.
RM125N (eekkk its pre85 :P ) 4k delivered,ready to race owned for 1 year.
Both are fantastic bikes and both did well at the Nationals.
Though the TM needed a need base gasket in the pits  ;D
and RM now needs new stickers  ;D

Its all about passion,not money !!   ;)  8)
cheers A
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:24:10 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:27:18 pm »
Talking about old Yamahas here:

A motor rebuild typically costs me ~$400 for piston kit, rebore, bearings, seals, paint and other fiddly crap. Add ~$200 if it needs a rod kit.
I've never owned anything rare enough to have to fork out for new gears etc - I just buy another ratty motor for $50 and get the bits that way.
Labour is all my own.

Chain and sprockets are ~$200 for decent stuff.

Tyres are ~$200/pair.

Basic reseal on a rear (single) shock is $180 or so (or $60 for parts/oil if you can DIY).

Levers, grips, bars, etc are about $200 for the lot.

Fork reseal is about $50 in parts/oil. Add $200ish for rechroming and ~$100 for rebushing if needed.

Seat covers are typically $50.

Air filter is ~$50.

A set of plastics is usually around $250 if you can get them.

Professional painting is mega-bucks. I am happy enough to do it myself for about $100 worth of materials - the finish is acceptable, but the pro job will stay looking good for a lot longer.

Wheel bearings are usually around $50 for the whole lot.

--------------

That's the stuff that I consider to be inevitable to get the bike to a decent race standard. Usually, you'll be able to use some of the bits that come on the bike without spending money, but it depends on how pretty/fast you want it to be.

There will always be some other stuff that is needed - fuel tank resto ($500 for an alloy tank), fork boots ($40), brake shoes ($50), cables ($100), rear suspension linkage bits ($250ish), or you might discover that the barrel is on the last over-size, etc etc.
Upgrade stuff also shoots the price up - stuff like PD valves and good shocks and good pipes can easily add another $2k to the cost of a rebuild.

And dont forget that some bikes have expensive bits that an add up really quicly - YZ-G/H sidecovers, for example...

I always cringe when Ted talks money, but then I look at his bikes and they're a LOT nicer than mine...  :D

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:30:09 pm »
all depends on what you want to end up with ;D

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:35:34 pm »
all depends on what you want to end up with ;D

Absoforkinglutley  ;D Joan Tite builds great race bikes that are very easy on the eye  8) but i wouldn,t want to keep the recipts

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 12:56:06 pm »
Did this exercise some time back on a 1985 RM125.

Original e-bay bike - $500
Front tyre/rimlock/tube/rim tape - $150
Rear tyre/rimlock/tube/rim tape - $165
Front & rear wheel bearings - $40
Tag Bars/grips, Levers etc - $100
Clutch & accell cables - $65
Chain buffer/chain guide/chain roller - $80
Front/rear sprocket & chain - $160
Seat recover - $120
Piston/rebore - $160
Gasket sets/bearings/seals/rod & associated engine parts - $500
Carbie needle jet/needle and return spring - $60
Air filter - $35
Exhaust bits and repairs - $50
Genuine Suzuki bits. CDI holder and damper, shock canister support & bands - $40
Rear shock overhaul - $280
Front fork service - $60
Swing arm bearings, rocker bearings, strut bearings - $220
Front brake pads & rear linings - $65
Various bits & pieces. Paint, Sandblasting, plating, nuts/bolts, Kill switch, etc, etc - $200 (Guess)
Sticker Kit - $100
So there you go, somewhere around $3K with most of the work being done by myself.

- No spokes being replaced (I de-laced the wheels and polished the spokes)
- No rim replacement, If you were doing those than you’d automatically add another $800.
- No powder coating of the frame.
- No plastics (front no plate aside) as the plastics on the bike were ½ reasonable.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 01:16:58 pm »
my bikes run in around the $2K~$3K mark ready to race and part time they take me about 18months or so with beer.
there are much better bikes around for sure but i'm a bloke that has no problems with $3 cans of paint ;)
the beauty of doing it yourself is that you'll KNOW it's done.
rather than taking someone elses word for it.
and that for me is the big descision maker right there.
also, when doing it yourself you have the chance while it's apart to personalise the bike as part of the build, levers, pegs, paint scheme, engine/pipe mods etc
horses for courses :)
"flat bickie"

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 01:25:41 pm »
Like everyone else has said depends on what your after my Nugent has cost me an arm and a leg and i built everything myself bar the  shock now you can build a great bike cheaply.but depending on how picky you are a rebuild will usually cost you more than a restored one of same quality
MUGEN power

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 02:02:33 pm »
also depends on how much you can do yourself - I usually have to farm out my engine rebuilds and shocks but try and do everything else myself.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 02:04:56 pm »
Trick new wheels costs $$ A good rebuild on a rare bike costs more than common ones, I have bikes done both ways and you always have a softer spot for one thats been built by your own hands.My last full restore owes me around 6k. If money is a real concern I say it's cheaper to by one thats ready to go.
Beware what is one person's version of race ready and your's maybe worlds apart.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 03:36:45 pm »
With 4 stroke engines it also depends on what level you want to call a full rebuild. Some people will call and engine "Fully" rebuilt if the have the head done up, cylinder rebored and new piston and rings fitted. But if you go down the road of replacing all the bits that are actually worn, i.e. Con rod, bigend bearing, main bearing, seals, gearbox bearings, oil pump rotors etc you end up spending much more money that you would ever be willing to tell the wife! I know that I would be living out in the shed if she every found out the true cost of some of my 500 Yamaha engine rebuilds.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 04:02:09 pm »
It all depends on how many new NOS parts you also want to throw at it and what you can rebuild. There about $300 worth of fasteners alone on my HL500 replica / tribute/ theme bike. But that bike was built to a standard rather than price.

After building a few I have decided best to skip the shitter wreck off ebay's farmers market and save the $1000, just buy good bits as they come up, so clean frame, clean motor, forks with the chrome still on them, tank without dents, new shocks plastics etc.

I have 73 Husky 250 on the go, clean running motor was $200, already 2 pack painted frame and swinger $150,  decent rebuilder wheels axles, spacers etc $200, very clean forks $150, nice tank $265..... you get my drift that it is cheaper to be patient and buy nice parts at the right price rather than reconditioning or rechroming everything knackered thing on the bike.
formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 04:14:16 pm »
It all depends on how many new NOS parts you also want to throw at it and what you can rebuild. There about $300 worth of fasteners alone on my HL500 replica / tribute/ theme bike. But that bike was built to a standard rather than price.

After building a few I have decided best to skip the shitter wreck off ebay's farmers market and save the $1000, just buy good bits as they come up, so clean frame, clean motor, forks with the chrome still on them, tank without dents, new shocks plastics etc.

I have 73 Husky 250 on the go, clean running motor was $200, already 2 pack painted frame and swinger $150,  decent rebuilder wheels axles, spacers etc $200, very clean forks $150, nice tank $265..... you get my drift that it is cheaper to be patient and buy nice parts at the right price rather than reconditioning or rechroming everything knackered thing on the bike.

Marc just curious , are your ouoted prices in US , AU or NZ $$$$$ and do they include shipping to ?????? your scheme has merit for sure , but a lot of blokes have one or two bikes and they want to rebuild /restore and get out and ride the thing within a reasonable time frame.

gettinold

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 04:32:38 pm »
WOW thanks everyone so far for your imput. I can do most thing etc. Its just when you start mentally adding it up you start to wonder if you should buy one already done?? hmmmmmmmmmmm ??? ???