Author Topic: cost to rebuild?  (Read 8952 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: cost to rebuild?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 09:17:01 am »
Time is my main consideration these days and it is why I rejected a purchase not long ago for a bike I was really keen on when it was all said and done I just knew that it would still be in bits 2 years from now. To build my last total rebuild took well over 100 hrs and given that I,m a metal fabricator by trade who knows all sorts of mad bike building tricks I don't know how others do it. Given also this bike is rare and parts are not on ebay every day didn't help. I just don't have the time to build another one like this.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:24:51 am by Slakewell »
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:44 am »
 I found my pre 70 RT1 in a shed at Yass for $100,
 Pulled it to bits, re assembled with new fork seals g/box bearings crank seals chain paint nuts & bolts paint, not 'concourse' but ready to race for grand total approx. $350.
 cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 10:50:51 am »
It always helps if you can find a low hours/low owners bike to start with. My 81 RM250X  was a one owner, the guy still had the sale receipt from when he bought it, and it had spent the majority of its life sitting around. Pretty much everything in the way of wear and tear items needed replacing from either being worn or perished! I got excited and powdercoated the frame, new plastics etc as well as the usual mains, piston etc, and the thing rides and looks as nice as the day it was manafactured.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 10:52:03 am »
Time is my main consideration these days and it is why I rejected a purchase not long ago for a bike I was really keen on when it was all said and done I just knew that it would still be in bits 2 years from now. To build my last total rebuild took well over 100 hrs and given that I,m a metal fabricator by trade who knows all sorts of mad bike building tricks I don't know how others do it. Given also this bike is rare and parts are not on ebay every day didn't help. I just don't have the time to build another one like this.

That is one very tidy little KATO. Nice job.

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:12 pm »
I usually put bikes together from bits and pieces picked up along the way.Try to get good components right from the start,sometimes you don't know for sure until you get it home.I'm not too fussed about cosmetic appearance and like having a bike with a "raced for years patina"so don't spend much on that side of things,but like all the moving bits to work well.I will buy a new pipe,carb and/or electronic ignition if it comes up or to improve perfromance.Most of my bikes(all at the moment )are CZs and heaps of stuff is interchangeable across the range so that helps I can scroung a part of one bike to race another etc.Have'nt done the numbers but would be surprised if I spent more than 4000 on a bike.Recently I have been eyeing off plenty of good cheap stuff on Mark's SM and thinking why not just buy something ready to go and import it?or going to someone like Big K who has a few good rides ready to go...basically i'm a tight arse :D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 04:17:37 pm »
Ok guys and gals. Like most of you I am sure i am just about to start a rebuild on a VMX and am starting to ask my self the question about rebuilding or paying more up front and buy a GOOD one that someone else has already done most of the hard work etc.
I understand the pleasures of doing your self etc but it would also be good to be able to fast track and have a bike already done NOW and being able to ride now etc.
My question is are any of you willing o share a story otr 2 about the cost of your rebuilds etc?  ;D

Just incase your thinking British  ;D
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=8968.0
Best is in the West !!

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 04:55:52 pm »
To answer your question, anything from $350 to $15k depending on parts availability, rarity, whether you are tight fisted or extravagant. Also how much you do yourself comes into play. 

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 05:25:41 pm »
However along to way as mentioned you often get a little bit smarter, I am sure we all have some building tips to share, heres mine

tip #1 is buy one of those plastic boxed MX bolt kits, save you millions in running about and they look like bike original bolts unlike stainless bloody cap screws.

formerly Marc.com

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 05:45:10 pm »
To answer your question, anything from $350 to $15k depending on parts availability, rarity, whether you are tight fisted or extravagant. Also how much you do yourself comes into play. 

bud have you got a pic off that $350 resto, ;D  id like to see your workmanship in that one 8)

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 05:10:05 pm »
Should I add to the cost of a rebuild, compressor, spray guns, bench polisher, sand blaster, electric oven, dry film, ceramic coating, PTFE coating, tools, special made tools (vibrating polisher), Aluminium Oxide etc.... etc..... My advice, do it because you want to and it makes you happy. Counting costs and keeping reciepts adds nothing to the process of restorations. The feeling and knowing what has gone into your build at the end along with the satisfaction is what is about. Great comments by others admiring your bike and work is priceless.

Kevin
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 10:24:53 pm »

bud have you got a pic off that $350 resto, ;D  id like to see your workmanship in that one 8)
not me mate. I got no chance of that. Old mate with his rt1 put $350 in his beast. I would blow that on two tyres, two tubes, a set of wheel bearings and a cup of coffee. But I'm not happy running thirty year old tyres, rusty spokes that could snap on the first jump or own/ race a trail bike for that matter. You know I'm a snob!!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:28:59 pm by 090 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 11:48:41 pm »
Another point....if you do it yourself you know what your getting from scratch.. 8)
Best is in the West !!

gettinold

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2012, 09:27:02 am »
Hmmmm thanks for all your comments. I supose deep down I new the answers .Its just good to hear others experiences. :)

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2012, 12:13:53 pm »
Another point....if you do it yourself you know what your getting from scratch.. 8)

Is that necessarily a good thing?  :D
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Nobby25

• B-Grade
  • Could possibly fit other models?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2012, 12:32:45 pm »
I have tried to avoid this thread as I dont want to add it up  :o  it will hurt  :'(
Cheers Nob
TM125L RM250N TC125L RL250M PE175T RM80C RMX250T ATC70 YZ80B?