Author Topic: cost to rebuild?  (Read 8949 times)

gettinold

Re: cost to rebuild?
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2012, 12:59:51 pm »
LOL Nobby. You did just answer the question! ;)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2012, 05:24:23 pm »
Give you an example of the funny things you'll find on a rebuilt bike.
Mate bought a 86/WR 240 and it looked pretty good although  the seller  commented that the brakes were a bit sad.
I have one of these so the comment went over my head as the 86 brakes were a bit sad.
When we got it home we gave it a bit of a spin and the front brakes were non existent - scarey.
Looking closer I finally figured out that he had fitted a BRAND NEW 1987 front wheel [ where he found this I haven't a clue] and it looks very nice.

But.
The 86's have a floating disk and fixed caliper.
The 87's have a fixed disk and a floating caliper.
If you put a 86 caliper with a 87 disk then you have no brakes. :o

The seller had spent the money but never had a clue.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2012, 07:34:56 pm »
Brakes, Mike? What do you want them for? Most my bikes don't have any. I use trees,and any other objects to help me navigate around a track.
Back onto the thread.
I paid some big dollars to get my "72 CR 125 Husky" engine rebuilt. It was very hard to find parts,and some people who had the parts were pretty expensive to buy off.I guess after owning the bike since 1992,I finally got the desire to start and finish this project,thus I suppose I spent too much on it,by not shopping around,my fault really.
Whats that song I hear?? Can you hear the drums Fernandoooo?

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.