Author Topic: Yamaico's new el Cheapo Project.  (Read 51782 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaico's new el Cheapo Project.
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 11:35:39 am »
I Didn’t do much on the project last weekend as I’m still waiting on the cylinder to get here so I can make the pipe. I did start making some of the cones but I can’t do much more than that. I soda blasted the tank and welded in the fitting for the YZ465 fuel tap on the opposite side. I had to cut a hole in the bottom of the tank for the fitting and was able to get a brass drift in there and knock a couple of the dents out of the top. Should only need a light wipe of bog to get it straight now. Also made up a new rear brake rod and lengthened the rear brake arm. The foot brake pivot is sloppy in the frame so when I pull it all apart again I’ll have to bore that out and make a bush for it.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 10:28:56 am »
Still waiting on the cylinder so last night I repaired the rear hub. The wheel bearings were shot and the backing plate wore away the lip on the hub. Built it back up with the tig and machined it back to size. The brake drum was pretty badly scored so I cleaned it up as well. DT175 brake shoes are a perfect fit for the slightly oversize drum (thanks to info from Grouty), so the brake should be good now. Almost running out of things to do until I get the pipe finished so I made some front number plate mounting clamps. Hopefully the cylinder will get here soon and I can get moving on things again,

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 10:50:08 am »
Great stuff. Can't wait for the next update.

All this and Doc is back as well. Good Times!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 11:42:12 am »
Still waiting on the elusive cylinder so I started on the wheels. The rims had a few gouges in them so I tigged them up and then sprayed them with oven cleaner to remove the anodising and then buffed them. There's still a few marks in them but they don't look too bad. Bead blasted the hubs and painted them satin black. Zinc plated all the spokes so when the paint hardens up I can put the wheels together. The Jane zinc kit does a great job and the best part is you can do the parts as you need them and don't have to worry about losing anything at the platers. I haven't used the kit for a couple of years so I got some new electrolyte from Janes but I tried the old stuff first. Just strained it, added a bit of brightener and it still worked perfectly. Monday I'll put the wheels together and hopefully have a cylinder so I can finish the pipe and make the airbox. Once that's done I can pull it all apart and paint the frame and tank and start assembling it.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 12:49:11 pm »
Still waiting on the elusive cylinder so I started on the wheels. The rims had a few gouges in them so I tigged them up and then sprayed them with oven cleaner to remove the anodising and then buffed them. There's still a few marks in them but they don't look too bad.

I am curious on the oven cleaner thing because i have tried it before and it did nothing to the annodizing at all. What brand did you use and how long do you leave it soaking on the rims?
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

oldfart

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 02:01:40 pm »
Turn it up Pete :) .... you have done more in 7 days of which would  take me near on 7 month.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 02:37:51 pm »
  Firko how long did it take you to zinc plate all of the spokes in that photo.
                           Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 02:48:57 pm »
Still waiting on the elusive cylinder so I started on the wheels. The rims had a few gouges in them so I tigged them up and then sprayed them with oven cleaner to remove the anodising and then buffed them. There's still a few marks in them but they don't look too bad.

I am curious on the oven cleaner thing because i have tried it before and it did nothing to the annodizing at all. What brand did you use and how long do you leave it soaking on the rims?
I used Ezy-off Oven Cleaner in the red can with yellow writing (heavy duty). It's the high strength stuff and I did them twice and left it on for about 20 minutes each time. The rim turns black but you just rub it off with a scotchbrite and then start buffing.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 02:51:25 pm »
                           Zane
15 minutes at 1.5A for 6 at a time. Really doesn't take too long.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 03:51:39 pm »
Pete's oven cleaner de-anodize thick works, I've tried it and it works a treat. Another thing that I found works is garage floor cleaner that contains an acid but I can't quite remember which one.
What Yamaico Pete said....Zane, this isn'y my project, it's all Yamaico's work, all I'm doing is to upload the sequence. Read the text and the whole story unfolds before your eyes ;).

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2011, 10:39:50 am »
Not much to report on the bike as I had a few non bike projects over the weekend. I did manage to get the wheels built on Sunday night, which took a while as the Swedish speedway Grand Prix and the Moto GP were both televised. I found a soft terrain front that I had from the old thumper nats days and a reasonably good rear that was in my tyre rack. Last night I did some more zinc plating, which is good fun and very stress-free. I have to make new plates for the chain guide tonight as the old ones aren’t long enough, and I might start on the airbox as I pretty much know where the pipe is going to run, within ½’ or so. I need to clean the crankcases up and paint them ready to put the motor together. Hopefully the cylinder will turn up soon….

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2011, 10:37:57 pm »
I`am enjoying this, Yamaico you can come and spend some time in my shed while your waiting for your barrel
Couple of CR`s

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 11:04:43 pm »
I`am enjoying this, Yamaico you can come and spend some time in my shed while your waiting for your barrel
You've got a couple of CR's Snowy - don't think I can help you there ;D

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2011, 11:47:18 pm »
pete/firko
can you tell me what the front wheel is and brake plate
cheers
jim
ps its looking good did you get the softwere sorted out

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 06:19:25 am »
Jim ....... it's KLX250 / KDX175 (and probably a KX125 A .. summat).
It's looking really good Pete. Keep up the work. If you didn't sit on your bum watching the Moto GP you would have had loads more done. Good race though.
Thumpers Rule !