Author Topic: Yamaico's new el Cheapo Project.  (Read 51569 times)

mx250

Re: Yamaico's new el Cheapo Project.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 07:58:56 am »
I reckon it looks about 'right'.

With 400 instead  of 125 it would have that factory look that should confound the pundits and cause a few WTF's

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 11:06:49 am »
am still undecided about having the tank polished aluminium or painting it to match the guards.[/b]

i like a lot of Yamaha paint jobs but must admit to not being too much of a fan of the polished tank look, except on some of the Brit bikes.
i wonder what a black tank/yellow stripe would look like as opposed to the yellow tank/black stripe ;D

I've been thinking about a TT500 style combination for my 250 C.  Paint the main bit of the tank and polish the bit inside the decal.  The best of both worlds  ::)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 12:36:50 pm »
Not much to report on today as I’m waiting on the cylinder to get here from the US so I can build the pipe. Once the pipe is made I can pull the bike apart and paint the frame and build the wheels and engine. Still got the bike mocked up so I can make sure the pipe clears the front guard and tucks in beside the back guard. I did manage to fabricate the sidecover brackets and weld them in place, the chain runner on the swingarm made and installed (milled down some 15mm nylon with the router and the bent it with the heat gun – terrible colour, but you’ve got to take what you can get), notched the bottom of the seat to clear the rear tank mount and machined up a sleeve to replace the speedo drive on the front wheel (see photos). If the cylinder doesn’t get here today I can make the muffler for a start. I also have to move the fuel tap mount to the other side of the tank as the pipe will foul it in the original position.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 12:56:13 pm »
tell you what it reminds me off,  that Rc 125 that Jonnyos selling. What barrell are you waiting on ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 01:16:19 pm »
I'll get in on the action here....I will donate a brand spanking new machined billet feul tap spigot if you like to weld on the tank.....send me your details if you want one....keep up the good work.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 02:06:10 pm »
the bikes just taken on a real Aussie theme now Pete with that green chain guide.
Green & Gold ;D
I'll get in on the action here....I will donate a brand spanking new machined billet feul tap spigot if you like to weld on the tank.....
it'd be quicker if he machined his own Davey ;)
"flat bickie"

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 02:26:09 pm »
I have some GC Yamaha yellow fork boots in 38mm if you want them.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 03:53:03 pm »
tell you what it reminds me off,  that Rc 125 that Jonnyos selling.

Barbarian .....

Friend of mine did RM250c powered KLX back in the day that went like a shower of shit. But like the whole KLX/DT400 concept, one of the best handling twin shock chassis combined with.... an engine
formerly Marc.com

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 04:33:06 pm »
Nah yellow gaiters 'id be too much IMO

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 10:52:23 am »
I'll get in on the action here....I will donate a brand spanking new machined billet feul tap spigot if you like to weld on the tank.....send me your details if you want one....keep up the good work.
Hi Davey,
Thanks for the kind offer but I'm using a YZ465 tap out of the junk stash, so I have to make up a mounting plate and weld it in,
Pete.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 10:55:11 am »
I have some GC Yamaha yellow fork boots in 38mm if you want them.
Geez, another kind offer, but the forks are only 36mm. The gaiters are stuffed so I'll probably just go with the bare look,
Thanks anyway,
Pete.

Curly3

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 09:00:44 pm »
Pete, you've got to stop all this new age motorcycle building.
You're making the rest of us look bad.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 10:09:34 pm »
This is probably a really silly question Pete ....
Was there a reason you opted for using the DT frame with KLX dangly bits, as opposed to using the KLX roller with the DT motor.
I would have thought that a superb handling bike (KLX) with an engine such as yours would be perfect.

Did you have any luck with sorting the rear shoes ?
Thumpers Rule !

mx250

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 09:28:15 am »
Was there a reason you opted for using the DT frame with KLX dangly bits, as opposed to using the KLX roller with the DT motor.
I'll let Pete answer that but I'm prtetty sure the answer is "because I can" or "the bits were there" 8) ;D.

I would have thought that a superb handling bike (KLX) with an engine such as yours would be perfect.

An interesting question Grouty 8). I was thinking of the same thing but thinking of it in reverse - would the LTR and LT/front improve or change the basic characteristics of the centre loop?

The DT frame is essential the MX250/360/SC500 frame in every regard (AFAIK - with a few extra brackets welded on). I don't think it is a hopeless MX frame when it comes to strength and integrity. The geometry might be a little questioned for MX (The MX/DT was intended more for high speed (Play racing, Socal desert, trail and street) rather than cutting a line inside a Maico). The 'so so' cheap mass production suspension would only exasperate any geometry limitations. I believe the MX chassis can be improved by improving the suspension, quicken the steering by reducing the trail and lengthening the swingarm (25mm).  The dangling bits that Pete is adding will address all of these issues - for better or worst remains to be seen.

I would also question the assumption that the KLX is a great handling frame - I think it was a very 'untaxed' frame with the puny KL250 20hp trying to pull it out of shape and propel it forward ::) :-[. A tuned DT400 will be a very different proposition to the KL250 motor.

Besides, I think this approach is new and will give a very 'factory' appearance that will confound the pundits ;D.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 06:05:56 pm »

Did you have any luck with sorting the rear shoes ?
Hi Ian,
I had to use the DT loop because the DT motor is centre exhaust port and the single downtube KLX frame won't work. I opted for the DT motor because it was cheap and they're are very tunable. I've always been primarily a Yamaha guy, and I wanted to use a YZ400 motor but Vandy offered me a DT400 with YZ gearset for $100. Unfortunately the motor had been sitting in water for some time before Vandy got it and the bore was on last over and heavily rusted. I managed to find a complete top end from a YZ400 on Mark's swapmeet for $75 so I'm going to have pretty close to a YZ400 when I'm finished.
As Graeme says, I'm really not too sure if this will work but what the heck, it's not a very expensive experiment. If it doesn't work I'll still have a good almost YZ400 motor and some rebuilt KLX wheels and suspension.
Thanks for the help with the brake shoes - I got some EBC DT ones ready to go in once I've repaired the rear hub,
Pete.