Author Topic: New scam  (Read 72103 times)

IT400C

Re: New scam
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 10:21:07 am »
Speaking of China, there's an advertising scam daily here where you get a phone call, usually a single ring that you miss or don't even hear and of course your phone has a 'missed call'. Happens about 4 or 5 times every day (and I mean a 24 hour day).

Many people will ring the number back and it's a bloody recorded advertising message that's just cost you a call and them nothing.

I am less than amused when this happens in the middle of the night when I'm asleep, I don't ring the number back of course but I check the phone to make sure it wasn't family.

One of the young guys at work had a Coles-Myer Mastercard (run by AGC), and if he was late with a payment AGC would do the same thing - one short ring on his mobile, then when he called the missed call back they'd talk to him..

IT400C

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 10:27:58 am »
He wasn't too good with his money, and the calls were usually around the same date in the month.. 

In the end, if he was away from his desk during the last week of the month, if the phone rang once we'd let him know so he didn't waste his time/money ringing them back..

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 08:09:44 pm »
I also got a call from someone claiming to be from Telstra stating that their mail hasn't been getting through to me. (The bills do) They wanted me to verify who I was D.O.B. etc.  Even had an Indian accent.

Well this morning my internet got shut down.  Turns out this call was legit and my Bigpond bill hadn't been paid in 4 months.  I have it tied in with the work account so I never see that bill. Somehow in the account update they had screwed up the address and were using the RP lot number.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »
If you where the same age and a very nice lonely person.
You may just feel for this Sarah and send some $$'s   >:(

Dear Beloved,
Orphanage & Humanitarian Projects
I am Ms Sarah Ford from London UK, I am 65 years old and I am  suffering from a long time cancer of the breast.  I deposited some funds with a Security Company which I registered as a Family Treasure and I want you to also use this money to fund orphanages and widows.
My late husband was killed during the U.S raid against Terrorism in Afghanistan when he travelled to Afghanistan to monitor a Hospital/a Humanitarian Foundation (HHF) he was setting up for the benefit of the Afghan masses as of then, whose majority, and 99 percent of them are Muslims/ Islamic scholars and loyalists. During the period of our marriage we couldn't produce any child. My Late husband was very wealthy and after his death ,I inherited all his businesses and wealth, and when I noticed that my condition is not improving rather it gets worsen by the day, I decided to divide part of his wealth and deposited this funds with a Security Company here in UK
Therefore I went you to use this funds for the Orphanages and Widows.  Once I hear from you then I shall forward to you the Contact details of the Security Company.

Waiting for your reply.

Regards.

Ms Sarah Ford
7th Floor,Queens House
180 Tottenham Court Road
London W1T 7PD
United Kingdom
Best is in the West !!

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 05:09:01 pm »
You can't help yourself from reading emails like this one in an accent, there are always three or four words spelt incorrectly or placed in the wrong order.... :D
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

mx250

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 05:21:33 pm »

My late husband was killed during the U.S raid against Terrorism in Afghanistan when he travelled to Afghanistan to monitor a Hospital/a Humanitarian Foundation (HHF) he was setting up for the benefit of the Afghan masses as of then, whose majority, and 99 percent of them are Muslims/ Islamic scholars and loyalists.

Laying it on 'thick and heavy' - 'gilding the lily'  ::) :-[
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 05:50:26 pm by mx250 »

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 06:16:37 pm »
My late husband ?
Wouldn't that make her MRS Sarah Ford ? ::)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 06:55:55 pm »
Speaking of new-old scams, here's another one that I've encountered twice in the last few weeks...

The caller will identify themselves as employees of some official sounding computer organisation, or even Microsoft. They'll ask for you by name, and know the postal address. They'll then start crapping on about a spate of computer virus infections in your area (because computer viruses work via postcode, right).

They then try to insist that you turn on the computer and allow them to talk you through the 'fix'. Obviously I never went that far, but from what I gather this usually results in the dupe paying for some useless virus protection, or being infected with some kind of malware.

No-one is ever going to call you to tell you there's a virus, or some other problem with your computer!

Once you start asking questions of the caller, (i.e. who are you really? what is your number so I can call back later? etc) in my experience they just hang up.

On the face of it, it's a pretty obvious scam, but I could see how some people might be taken in by it.

Tex

A friend of mine who is otherwise an intelligent woman with a degree or two fell for this crap. FFS! as if I know the condition of your computer, while sitting in my garage :-)  I can confirm that ABSOLUTELY NEVER will Microsoft or Apple or Google, etc. cold-call you and tell you they can fix a virus on your computer. They make enough from corporates, why would they call some grumpy old VMX type?  or god forbid, his missus? :-)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 07:11:08 pm »
With a private number I miss out on all the fun. >:( Oh I have some news from afar for you to Luke. ;)
Jesus only loves two strokes

oldfart

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 08:00:49 pm »
Therefore I went you to use this funds for the Orphanages and Widows.  Once I hear from you then I shall forward to you the Contact details of the Security Company.

;D  ;D    WTF
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:03:23 pm by oldfart »

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 08:56:59 pm »
Just checked that address on "Google Maps".
The building is back off the main street but is connected to the one in front and they both look to be the same height.
Only 5 stories high I'me afraid. :o
Unless it's the one behind which is the UK headquarters for some syko karate type people who rent their talents out worldwide. :o
 ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2011, 09:45:20 am »
off topic a touch -telemarketers. i once reduced one to tears on the ph.1critised his english speaking skills,suggested he should get a refund from where ever he learnt english.ie how dare you speak the queens in such a way,you should be ashamed you ignorant savage etc -it got much worse but you get the picture.2 use the names of towns that that have an aboriginal name ie wagga wagga,capalaba works a treat confuses crap out of them.3 ask them what they are wearing works great on males or females.4skip words whilst talking to them.5 repeat back to them what they have said to you.6 when they ask for the manager or owner,tell them to ring back at 11.00pm the boss runs night shift this one is only good for work.6. abuse crap out of them for ringing a secure ph line how did you get this ph no,this is asio ph no sound official and ask them for id.you can hrs of fun use imagination say whatever you like cause they are only telemarketers

oldfart

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2011, 11:15:10 am »
Robin .... the pit fall there is they have your # and might pay the rudeness back  ???

TooFastTim

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2011, 11:53:16 am »

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2011, 12:26:30 pm »
Robin .... the pit fall there is they have your # and might pay the rudeness back  ???
  indian telemarketers dont count as humans  ;D did have one ring with a very witty reply of get f#@ked still asked him to repeat cause i couldnt understand his english speaking ablity upset him more :D