Author Topic: New scam  (Read 72094 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New scam
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 04:24:29 pm »
Any time you answer the phone & theres a few seconds delay before anyone replies you know it's either from china or india, our workshop foreman wised me up to that one & so far I'd say he'd be 100% correct

cheapracer

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 11:30:10 pm »
Speaking of China, there's an advertising scam daily here where you get a phone call, usually a single ring that you miss or don't even hear and of course your phone has a 'missed call'. Happens about 4 or 5 times every day (and I mean a 24 hour day).

Many people will ring the number back and it's a bloody recorded advertising message that's just cost you a call and them nothing.

I am less than amused when this happens in the middle of the night when I'm asleep, I don't ring the number back of course but I check the phone to make sure it wasn't family.

mx250

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 11:41:38 pm »
Any time you answer the phone & theres a few seconds delay before anyone replies you know it's either from china or india, our workshop foreman wised me up to that one & so far I'd say he'd be 100% correct
I've recognise that as well and I hang up without waiting for the spiel or any unpleasantness ;).

Even local computer generated dial ups have the delay before an operator speaks - you snooze, you lose ;D.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 07:51:22 am »
Interesting thing about the Indians.
They may actually be legit.   ::)
The story going around is that they have been HIRED to ring and are just doing the job according to the contract. :o

Why spend all day ringing when someone will do it for you for a few bucks and you are isolated from the mugs.

Some of the scamers probably
 use legit call centers to do their ringing around.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 08:35:55 am »

You can pick the time lapse all right, unfortunately I get the occasional legit call from overseas so I have to sit through the intro to be sure.

What about the ones that have a machine ring you and put you on hold until they are ready to talk to you?  I rip through those ones which puts their spiel off balance, and then I hang up.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Simo63

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 03:28:25 pm »
A few days ago I was at home and the house phone rang.  I answered it and there was a few seconds silence so I suspected it was a telemarketer.  Normally I would be polite however I was in a bad mood so I yelled down the phone something like "stop fuggin ringing me ya carnz" and hung up thinking that was the end of that.

A few seconds later the phone rings again and I think to myself "you've got to be kidding" but I answered it out of curiosity only to have my wife ask me if I was going to tell her to stop fuggin ringing again  .... oops  :-[ :)

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 03:42:56 pm »
Craig lucky you got the caravan to sleep in as a back up as I'm sure the backyard is nice an cold and wet at the moment. Curly

Simo63

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 03:49:14 pm »
Craig lucky you got the caravan to sleep in as a back up as I'm sure the backyard is nice an cold and wet at the moment. Curly

All good Curly .. she saw the funny side of it particularly as her mobile was playing up and is what caused the delay or lack of communication.

Caravan or not mate, it's too cold to be sleeping outside the house at the moment ..... god it's almost too cold to go into the man cave to work on the bikes  :)

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic a bit.

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 10:04:53 am »
I'm shocked ! what you are trying to say is that there are crooks out there trying rip me off. I can't believe that why just the other day i had a call from my bank manager saying i was overdrawn he thought it was someone ripping me off turns out i just spend to much on my bikes. and he also adds that my credit card is safe as it is maxed out also. ;D
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

mx250

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 10:36:50 pm »
How lucky am I 8). Just got this email - £500,000.00.

Yeah, yeah, I know - it's only a half mil and it's English clams shells, but still £500,000.00 ;D

"You have been approved by the United Nations Foundation
Payment Board to receive a cash grant/donation of £500,000.00 Pounds.
E-mail Mr. Michael C. Williams via E-mail on: [email protected]
Provide him With Full Name:
Address:
Personal Tel/Mobile and Payment number ( G-900-94) to claim."

Just think of it. A dream garage full of classic VMX'ers.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 03:15:26 pm »
My mum has early stage Dementia. In recent times I have had to take over paying her bills. I f I get hold of the slimey bastard that conned her into changing electricity retailers look out. It's bad enough to con Joe Average but when these "salesmen" con the frail and the elderly it makes my blood boil. The next "spin bowler" who rings while I'm having tea is going to cop it big time!!! Irrational I know but jeez it sticks in my throat. J

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 05:29:55 pm »
 What we do is when we think its about the right time for calls with a time delay followed by a friendly asian voice [who speaks to you by name] we let it go to answer. When the caller hangs up you know it was another one.
 One bloke I was talking to said when he gets a call from them when he is covered in grease under a car he tells them ' hang on a minute I'll get him for you', then leaves the 'phone of the hook.
 cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 09:50:53 am »
I was out of reach of the phone a few times yesterday and decided to call back some of the numbers I missed.
2 of them were bloody call centres >:(
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 10:03:46 am »
Aahhh, the old reverse scam trick! How many pipes did you sell Geoff? I'm sure you offered them a never to be repeated deal if the provided their card details immediately ;D
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

IT400C

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 10:15:36 am »
Phttt, I have no problems if I lose a little money from a few cards because I have millions coming to my bank account from some lost Nigerian deceased estate account next week - and it only cost me $600 to set up the new account to receive it! Win!!

I got a new version of the "Nigerian Scam" email this morning, only this time it's the "Edinburgh Scam"

"The Scottish Investment Trust PLC
6 Albyn Place
Edinburgh EH2 4NL,
United Kingdom .

I am Mr. John Kennedy, the Fund Executive Manager of Scottish Investment International UK. The World Largest Fund Management Company with over 1.2Trillion Capital Investment fund and most diversified private investment company in UK.

of course, they want you to ring their mobile number...  (44 country code -= UK)