Author Topic: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest? OPEN FORUM  (Read 19299 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest? OPEN FORUM
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 01:28:35 pm »
I may have to consider how to do the headstocks though for different steering stems.   

A fitter & turner mate with access to a lathe, bearing and seal catalogue will soon mount any front end to a politically correct pre65 frame. I would be protecting myself by not feeding the “knockers” and “detractors”, be they current or future scrutineering objectors and finger pointers. I wouldn’t give a thought to producing a head stock or a blank frame for vintage racing that is anything other than pre65 politically correct CR.

Like said, a great frame for many a class or dreamer. I will attach my own engine mounts.
I have allot of tools, but not everything.

I do have a great oxy set and Manganese Bronze rods though 8)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:52:03 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

cheapracer

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2011, 02:00:46 pm »
I wouldn’t give a thought to producing a head stock or a blank frame that is anything other than pre65 pollically correct.

100% agree, I was thinking more along the lines of internal adapters for the headstock as it is quite large and accommodating (60 x 163mm).

Hmmm lunch time, hope we have fried dog again or cat on a stick ...

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2011, 02:24:58 pm »
I wouldn’t give a thought to producing a head stock or a blank frame that is anything other than pre65 pollically correct.

100% agree, I was thinking more along the lines of internal adapters for the headstock as it is quite large and accommodating (60 x 163mm).

Hmmm lunch time, hope we have fried dog again or cat on a stick ...

there a luxury i hope i havent eaten today

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 02:31:04 pm »
[/quote]

Bearing cups ala Harley Davidson, then the builder can just have the spigot machined for the correct length of the head stock and you are done in 10 minutes.

The just take the Mitesse approach and with engine adaption, do one front and two rear mounts, with a bit of thought you could then create a universal drill it yourself mounting plate and spacer set.

I just picked up TM400 motor for $120 with CDI and carb, combine that with universal Mitesse frame and Japanese wheels and running gear, I think you could build killer pre 74 bike at reasonable price.

formerly Marc.com

cheapracer

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2011, 03:08:28 pm »
Awesome direction this thread has now taken, thanks guys.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 03:35:53 pm »
Yep well lets hope it lasts  ::)

Anyway so you have the universal engine plates trimmed and drilled, with nothing more sophisticated than a jig saw and drill press. Make a simple guage that bolts on the counter shaft and meets the frame so you can't shag up alignment.

Next I break out the alloy copy of the Rickman airbox that came with the kit.... leave it open at the top and closed at the sides, add a spigot adaptor that I can fit to the front with hole saw, that takes rubber hose on one side and K& N foam filter pod on the other.

So thats engine carb, airbox and triple trees, next the 10 extra weld on tabs that come with the kit, these allow me to mount the ancillary items, seat, tank and pipe, CDI in the airbox... coil on the frame..... disco.... last but not least the pre cut extra long rear wheel spacers so I can drop the wheel in and line that bad boy up.

There you go, week of evenings and trips to super Cheap auto and it is done.

formerly Marc.com

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2011, 04:39:11 pm »
Yep well lets hope it lasts  ::)

Anyway so you have the universal engine plates trimmed and drilled, with nothing more sophisticated than a jig saw and drill press. Make a simple guage that bolts on the counter shaft and meets the frame so you can't shag up alignment.

Next I break out the alloy copy of the Rickman airbox that came with the kit.... leave it open at the top and closed at the sides, add a spigot adaptor that I can fit to the front with hole saw, that takes rubber hose on one side and K& N foam filter pod on the other.

So thats engine carb, airbox and triple trees, next the 10 extra weld on tabs that come with the kit, these allow me to mount the ancillary items, seat, tank and pipe, CDI in the airbox... coil on the frame..... disco.... last but not least the pre cut extra long rear wheel spacers so I can drop the wheel in and line that bad boy up.

There you go, week of evenings and trips to super Cheap auto and it is done.

Hey Marc,
While your doing yours can you knock one up for me as well…  ;)
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2011, 04:52:31 pm »
Hey Marc,
While your doing yours can you knock one up for me as well…  ;)

Yeah I just dry built my Rickman so it is still fresh in my mind, I am pretty impressed with it, well thought out chassis, strong as a mofo and everything fits together without a drama. IMO far better built and stronger than any Japanese pre 74 bike I can think of.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »
Yeah I just dry built my Rickman so it is still fresh in my mind, I am pretty impressed with it, well thought out chassis, strong as a mofo and everything fits together without a drama. IMO far better built and stronger than any Japanese pre 74 bike I can think of.

As Big Kev used to say

I'm EXCITED. :D
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2011, 05:01:42 pm »
awfully sorry Mark, statement retracted, goodluck with your frames.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2011, 05:18:17 pm »
Standard Mitese has pretty much enough room for small black Chev so this means most engines are viable including the roadbikes, so as mentioned XS650, CB350, would just about anything else will fit. Though GT750 waterbus would be pushing it.

With bodywork, the Ricky is like a featherbed Norton frame where you have wide top frame rails, so tank choice is pretty limited unless you are good at welding.
formerly Marc.com

cheapracer

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2011, 05:35:07 pm »
awfully sorry Mark, statement retracted, goodluck with your frames.

Noted, awesome, thank you - will buy you a beer next trip to Oz.

Sorry for some of my misplaced posts too folks, I just went through this with the race car crowd and maybe I'm still wearing that a little on my shoulder.

I am just trying to make it a bit of fun and attractive to more people so there's more people to race with me, that was my goal before as is now, there is no catches.

Curly3

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2011, 06:41:56 pm »
Civility, where the F did this come from. ;D ;D
I'm still interested in the end product.

mx250

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2011, 10:21:46 am »

I was also just admiring our new DUFIEUX 5 axis gantry mill that just arrived from France, I'm kind of hoping next year that will come in handy for replicating (there's that word again) some chosen VMX parts that can't be gotten anymore depending on our program with it.

5 axis gantry mill? Every garage should have one ;D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY&feature=player_embedded

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2011, 08:23:55 pm »
Hi,
yes marcFX, you are half right , use an alloy air box , but closed at the top and open at the sides ,easy to mount a K&N or Unifilter,  Left or Right side access to clean it ,Its a lot easier to get the side covers off compared to removing the seat and seat base, 
and on top of airbox,  that is, under the seat, safe, clean, tidy, dry mounting for your PVL ignition, it works on mine,
cheers