Author Topic: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest? OPEN FORUM  (Read 19281 times)

cheapracer

Re: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest? OPEN FORUM
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2011, 10:19:22 pm »
But even putting my reservations about the diluting of a special era

I still dont believe you could build a bike from scratch for under 10k

I have no idea what you mean by diluting the era but having done a reasonable amount of study of the era and they ran literally anything in the day - you just see all the flash Metisse etc up front in National events, go check out the club scene of the day.

Because you lack imagination. Just before I decided to come to China I was well underway for my pre '65 bike and besides the engine which was a firing Triumph 500 twin (that fired as a single) that I started to build, the rest of the bike was pure budget stuff and wouldn't cost a bloke $500 (besides the engine as mentioned).

C15 (or B40) frame, Bantam tank, home made seat, cheap alloy guards from a swap meet - what else is there? Plenty of cheap period wheels around if you don't have to use CZ, Rickman, REH etc.

Forks were interesting, any old 60's Triumph steel lowers which are common as and I grabbed some non descipt old 36mm Japanese road bike forks from a wreckers for $20, cut the lower axle mounts off and turned the outside of the alloy lower legs down until they slid down inside the Triumph steel lowers (theres long and short steel British lowers btw). The Triumph forks have huge seal/spring holders and gaitors as standard so everything looks cosher. Nothing special about them and certainly no where near as good as Ceriani, CZ etc forks but safe at least and very cheap to make.

So welcome to our forum Cheapracer, a place full of those such raging egos. You certainly qualify.

Thanks! huh? hang on a minute ....  :D :D

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:25:44 pm by cheapracer »

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 01:06:35 am »
CR has shown what could be a cheap option for pre 65 Legal wheels
Good luck with Chang Jiang wheels - they're not worth a sqirt on a Chang Jiang

cheapracer

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 02:36:36 am »
Good luck with Chang Jiang wheels - they're not worth a sqirt on a Chang Jiang

The BMW/Ural/Chang Jiang weighs in at 370 kgs ready to go, the front brake may be undersized for that situation but is a rather nice size, some may consider oversized, for a 120 to 150kg pre '65. I note the same brake was used on the 500cc BMW racers such as the R5's at Nurburgring in the day so it couldn't have been terrible.

I wonder how much perception is involved - here is a BMW classic racer and a Chinese POS sidecar with exactly the same brake but which would you rather know that it came off? ...

Further it's just a round steel drum with expanding friction shoes, doesn't matter what it's off and no different to any other drum brake (of it's ilk), it's all in the leverage, cam width and ramp angle and of course lining material as well as other setup tricks.

I just found a supplier for the Indian Bullet brakes too being full width alloy, in India obviously but I have been told importing stuff from India to China is no problem - will investigate further.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 08:02:31 am »
great! Another shiny-arse waving his dick around at everyone going
You an' mark (with a 'c') should be able to hose each other off with all this wank.....

Just waking up in Tokyo and didn't realise the circus, or at least one of the major clowns arrived in town.

If you want my bio Ross, I was apprenticed in NZ as fitter/turner, came to Aus, became service engineer for marine turbochargers for a number of years, studied at Maritime College and gained degree and MBA and ended up one of the company directors.... I paid my own way and earn t every dollar

You too could have done something positive with your life Ross instead of being well known by reputation as being a total loser, but guess you are about sniffing the rug rather than owning it.

Back on subject Mark I think the Rickman Indian is awesome idea.
formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 08:16:32 am »

What about this one hey, my frames with some Indian bullet running gear - hmm must look into that...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pre-65-Royal-Enfield-500-Metisse-scrambles-twinshock-/230609159968

Hmmmm, interesting.

"With the added benefit of being fully road legal.

Starts easily, runs very well.  Rides well changing up and down the box as it should - Benefits from a 'neutral finder'.  Sounds fantastic through the stainless exhausts.  Cruises happily at 60mph.

Sold ready to go with a fresh MOT, and taxed until July.

Has travelled just over 2500 miles since being registered in 2002.  All road miles.

Features Renthal bars, Magura controls, Classic twinshocks, Morad rims, Aspes forks.

Be under no illusion this bike is as described and not a worn out racer like some.  It lives indoors and is well looked after.

Get an entry in quickly for Farleigh Castle!

Beautifully brazed Metisse frame with irridescent goldy chrome coloured nickel plating."

"Get an entry in quickly for Farleigh Castle!" would the Indian Enfield be eligable?

I wonder if Enfield India will sell you engines separately (or just rip off your idea ::)).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:32:07 am by mx250 »

mx250

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 08:29:10 am »

When you spend $4,000+ on a frame kit in all it's nickel plated glory you're not going to put a $200 swap meet Jawa 350/B33/Enfield/Yam YDS-2/NSU 250/etc, etc. engine into it but a $500 frame you might.

A kit suitable for DT/RT1 motor? $500? I'll take five please. How soon delivery? ;D

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 09:07:48 am »
While I was swimming , I was thinking .
Fair dinkum Wasp if you keep this up you,ll have nobody to race. :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 09:54:23 am »
I don't get it.  Here we have a bloke that has access to a manufacturing plant.  Who's passionate about VMX.  Can probably make just about any unobtanium part that may be needed.  Not interested at making a big profit out of the sport.  And he get's torched for it.  I guess that's what happens when big fish jump into small ponds. 
Could it be the ego of the negative non achiever  that tries to tear down the ego of the successful.

How about, great stuff mate, can't wait to see them, hope you sell a motza.  What else is in the pipeline?

God help Richard Branson if he should ever show an interest in VMX and decide to build replica anythings.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:52 am »
I don't get it.  Here we have a bloke that has access to a manufacturing plant.  Who's passionate about VMX.  Can probably make just about any unobtanium part that may be needed. 

God help Richard Branson if he should ever show an interest in VMX and decide to build replica anythings.

I fully agree replica parts and bikes totally revitalised Classic Road Racing and here we have the potential to do this with pre 65 VMX bikes. I think that they are being produced in China is just a reflection of the reality of the cost of manufacture these days. If you want a reasonable price frame then China it is.

formerly Marc.com

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 10:23:15 am »
I don't get it.  Here we have a bloke that has access to a manufacturing plant.  Who's passionate about VMX.  Can probably make just about any unobtanium part that may be needed.  Not interested at making a big profit out of the sport.  And he get's torched for it.  I guess that's what happens when big fish jump into small ponds. 
Could it be the ego of the negative non achiever  that tries to tear down the ego of the successful.

How about, great stuff mate, can't wait to see them, hope you sell a motza.  What else is in the pipeline?

I think Richard Branson has a proven track record  ;) not just words on a forum  :) as Graeme says Quote "A kit suitable for DT/RT1 motor? $500? I'll take five please. How soon delivery?"
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

cheapracer

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 11:44:33 am »

drop the tag and get on with your journey in VMX.

Cheers Trev, Worms, no other tags required!!!!!!

You need to get your facts right before you post incorrect information and this isn't the thread for it either. You could have PM'ed your concern to me - but I guess no one else would have seen it then.

You do know I live in another country don't you? It kind of makes it hard to attend meetings I assure you.

FWIW posting "no tags required!!!!!!" is a paradox compounded by the 6 exclamation marks and even further compounded by your need to double identify yourself.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:49:13 am by cheapracer »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 12:25:02 pm »
Obviously some will consider it also to be a great start for whatever engine they have laying under the bench. An XS650 pre70 or whatever pre75 concoction as well, be it VMX, Grass track or Dirt track.
Imagine how boring it would be if we all had the same idea of a hybrid creation.  

Hell yeah, I mean lets face it the Mitesse frame will walk rings about a lot of pre 70 and 74 frames, so there is no real reason to pigeon hole the engine selection into building pure pre 65 bikes, I feel a Rickman TM400 coming on .... put me down for one.
formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 12:43:07 pm »
Obviously some will consider it also to be a great start for whatever engine they have laying under the bench. An XS650 pre70 or whatever pre75 concoction as well, be it VMX, Grass track or Dirt track.
Imagine how boring it would be if we all had the same idea of a hybrid creation.  

Hell yeah, I mean lets face it the Mitesse frame will walk rings about a lot of pre 70 and 74 frames, so there is no real reason to pigeon hole the engine selection into building pure pre 65 bikes, I feel a Rickman TM400 coming on .... put me down for one.
Actually I think the Japanese motors have the most promise when it comes to volume. Although I was been facetious (I've got too many projects and not enough money or time at the mo ::)) but with the spare engines I've have I could build 5 Rickman DT/RT1 Yammy's - in race, enduro, trail or street bike form. And I wouldn't be the only one. There must be thousands of 'spare' jap engines under benchs all through Australia, America and Europe, just waiting for the opportunity and spark of inspiration.

And the Rickman frame ticks all the boxes - 'period correct' ;), lightweight, handles, looks and now affordable 8).

Whatcha reckon Cheapo  ;) :).   

cheapracer

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2011, 01:03:09 pm »

I often wonder why myself Marc why Metisse is pidgeon holed into pre' 65 and pre '70 and would be awesome for TM400, RT360, XL420 etc but best of all a home for the much unloved SC500 Yamaha donk.

MX250 - I can actually get CrMo tube no problem, one of the reasons for going with 1020 DOM is so people can easily adapt various engines into them, make up the mounts and successfully weld them in themselves. I may have to consider how to do the headstocks though for different steering stems.   

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:05:03 pm by cheapracer »

cheapracer

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2011, 01:05:44 pm »

I think Richard Branson has a proven track record  ;) not just words on a forum  :) as Graeme says Quote "A kit suitable for DT/RT1 motor? $500? I'll take five please. How soon delivery?"

Besides Worms ramblings, incorrect as they are, I was going to change my sig yesterday with ironically another quote from Graeme. The sig was put there in response to "WTF are you, WTF have you done" to get a little support for this project. I shouldn't have fallen into it because the answers never satisfy those type of people anyway.

But I digress, you are correct, the are "just words on a forum" at the moment but then again according to my experience in the racing vehicle field, so is the response of "paying money".