Author Topic: How much would you pay?  (Read 6979 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: How much would you pay?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 10:26:50 pm »
My dream would be to own Gaston Rahier, Joel Robert and Roger DeCosta's works Suzuki's. Impossible, I imagine to price and find.
Terry Good has one of Robert's and one of DeCosters so i wouldn't say it's impossible.

TooFastTim

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 10:32:00 pm »
I had a look earlier but couldn't find the web page but I have seen recent pics of Rogers RN75 or RN76. Looks like it's in the Netherlands or Belgium.

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 12:47:12 am »
mmmm interesting question.

I have been offered a works BSA Titanium frame with a sand cast motor that was used in anger by some one who was rather good back in the 60s. 

How do you value that? (I have two very good kidneys and appreciate that one may have to be sold to help the funding, but have been told that thay probably isnt enough!)

A slighly more sensible think to muse over is how can I justify spending every penny I own to get a bike I have always wanted (a 40's Indian Chief) when for that kind of money ($30kish) I could get.... we alot of just about anything.

I do know of some works KX's that are available.  Propper factory bikes from the late 80s and they are for sale.  So if anyone wants to play out that fantasy, I can point them in the right direction....  I dont think you'll need anything like $250,000 (!) but I also know that he doesnt give stuff away.

You could own a propper piece of history......

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 07:25:46 am »
I had a look earlier but couldn't find the web page but I have seen recent pics of Rogers RN75 or RN76. Looks like it's in the Netherlands or Belgium.
There is one of Rogers bikes from that era in the US, the pics are on Clay Setzers Flashback Racing website. I think Clive Bussey in the UK also had one in his collection.

TooFastTim

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 10:04:12 am »
There is one of Rogers bikes from that era in the US, the pics are on Clay Setzers Flashback Racing website. I think Clive Bussey in the UK also had one in his collection.

Thanks for that:

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:50 am »
Depending on what the bike is, and the condition its in ("as raced" being the ideal, IMHO), I'd say that anything over $50k would be worth a raised eyebrow, and anything over $100k would be "no way".
That's for a bike that was ridden by a world champ or serious contender and is in useable condition (not that you would be likely to use it, but you know what I mean).

Then again, the idea of me spending that much on one bike is pretty zany...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

TooFastTim

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 11:33:39 am »
So have we settled on 50K?

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 07:29:28 am »
Thorpes cr 500 was sold to a guy for 25 000 pounds
Old and slow - and happy

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 08:26:22 am »
Too rich a game for me, I'd be more inclined to go for something like Steve McQueens Husky or Charles Bronsons tidy XL250 that sold on ebay for around $1,200.  More in my budget.

TM BILL

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 08:30:51 am »
If money was no object then there would be no limit .

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 09:25:54 am »
but you really shouldn't ask the question based on money not being a limiting factor - if so I would spend whatever the amount required to get an ex works RC400-500 pumpkin seed bike - it's like playing with monopoly money.  However if it was what would I feel comfortable with - less than $50K - but trying to get it past the boss might be a bigger problem than getting the money.  I also would worry about the bike - I would want to ride it - but I would expect most things for the bike (pistons etc) would have to be custom made - probably wouldn't find then on ebay!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

TM BILL

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 02:53:12 pm »
You can spend 50k on a car or a ute (well i couldn't but people do ) and what real pleasure does that give you  ???
Life ain't a practice and nobody gets out alive  ;)
If you can afford it do it , why limit what you spend on your toys  :) an ex missus once told me "you can only ride one bike at a time " so i told her "you only got 2 feet so 1 pr of shoes will suffice"  ;)
Putting a limit on it is bullshit and another product of the fun police  ::) if you want it and you got the coin then get it otherwise your just another boring number  :-*

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 03:17:53 pm »
NICe one TMB
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 03:36:56 pm »

+1 TM Bill !  Although, i DID explain the "1 pair of feet so 1 pair of shoes" theory, DIRECTLY after the "you can only ride one bike at a time" statement.....it cost me $250,000.00 and now i have 5 bikes instead of one!

Ah the first missus, those were the days, NOT.

TM BILL

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 04:20:54 pm »

+1 TM Bill !  Although, i DID explain the "1 pair of feet so 1 pair of shoes" theory, DIRECTLY after the "you can only ride one bike at a time" statement.....it cost me $250,000.00 and now i have 5 bikes instead of one!

Ah the first missus, those were the days, NOT.

First ones only a practice  ;)

you gotta explain to them (in the nicest possible way  ;) ) that unlike vintage bikes and parts they are still making women , and while the desirability of old bikes and parts increase with age the same can not nesecerely be said for women  ;D

They will probably retort with somthing like "many a good tune played on an old fiddle " and you explain the whole forking orchestras going begging after they reach 40  ;) and most blokes prefer a flute over a double bass  :)

No need to be rude about it , but its a fact most blokes die before their wives BECAUSE THEY WANT TO  ;D

Whats the difference between a girlfriend and a wife ?

Generally about  30 kgs  ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:33:19 pm by TM BILL »