Author Topic: How much would you pay?  (Read 6982 times)

TooFastTim

How much would you pay?
« on: April 03, 2011, 05:47:19 pm »
Recently we've seen a thread about which ex-works bike would you buy assuming unlimited funds and now we've got the JBR up for USD60,000. But, assuming you had bottomless pockets how much would you be prepared to pay for that ex-Thorpe CR500? The catch is: if you have a great deal of money it usually comes as a result of having a fair degree of financial savvy so assuming unlimited funds what is a REASONABLE amount to pay for that treasured ex-works bike you covet?

As an example I would say that JBR might be worth USD20,000, being that it is the real thing and not a contemporary replica.

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
Re: How much would you pay?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:05:13 pm »
good question TFT.Does anyone know how much the EX-Thorpe bike cost Honda to build at the time?If the head was ruling the heart and I was "savvy",i probably wouldn't spend more than 30000-35000 for any ex works bike,Although I've yet to see one in the flesh and impulse would take over if I did.

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:09:02 pm »
My dream would be to own Gaston Rahier, Joel Robert and Roger DeCosta's works Suzuki's. Impossible, I imagine to price and find.
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

TooFastTim

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 06:16:07 pm »
My dream would be to own Gaston Rahier, Joel Robert and Roger DeCosta's works Suzuki's. Impossible, I imagine to price and find.

Find? No, I can point you an ex Roger D RN and an ex Joel RH. Price? Well, imagine you're well heeled. Where would you stop? When would you say to yourself "nuts, that's too much for that cobby POS"?

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 06:24:58 pm »

Find? No, I can point you an ex Roger D RN and an ex Joel RH. Price? Well, imagine you're well heeled. Where would you stop? When would you say to yourself "nuts, that's too much for that cobby POS"?

If money was no object in my life I would pay whatever was asked as this would be a personel goal. It's when you have limited funds, limited earning potential and committments to wife and kids, that would put a stop limit on your spending. I can't even get a day on the weekend to myself to go riding at the moment as the family demands are high and I am last on the list.

I am sure that certain Works Bikes could fetch the same price as a small suburban home if they came up and they had history to them.
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

TooFastTim

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 06:25:47 pm »
Does anyone know how much the EX-Thorpe bike cost Honda to build at the time?

It's irrelevant as anybody who buys a new car will tell you. Drive a new car out of the forecourt and it loses 20% (at least) of its value. Same with a works bike.

My feeling is I would stop at USD50,000 after that it's insane. And I would only pay that for a title winning (world please, none of this US stuff) Japanese ex-works bike.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:27:52 pm by TooFastTim »

TooFastTim

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 06:34:35 pm »
I am sure that certain Works Bikes could fetch the same price as a small suburban home if they came up and they had history to them.

So you would go USD500,000?

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:42:00 pm »
I have no idea whats worth, i would pay 30k for a ow40 winners bike if money was no option. I really think that in the next twenty years or so the little house in sydney etc will go up more than the works bike. I recall in the early eightys that cars from the 30's had a great value like a 1931 long wheelbase dodge but now that car is not that sort after. I reckon its because the fellows that can relate it to thier youth are no longer trying to patch up thier mid life crisis...
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 06:49:23 pm »
Dirt bikes are bloody cheap, Try buying an ex work road racer. One of my good friends has a Vincent works bike one of only 20 left. He also owns one of Gardner's bikes. Think of large number times it by 7 then double it and your getting close.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:12:22 pm »
Bikes are cheap , x works mikola audi quattro rally car, over $1mil US
 I would pay up to $150 k for a genuine works mid 70s suzuki and probably the same for one of those experimental twin hondas with the ribi frunt end.Howertons all conquering 250 twin shock say 80 k. But I dont have that kind of money  :'( rembember ts not just a bike you are buying it is History itself!
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

TooFastTim

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 07:33:46 pm »
Dirt bikes are bloody cheap, Try buying an ex work road racer. One of my good friends has a Vincent works bike one of only 20 left. He also owns one of Gardner's bikes. Think of large number times it by 7 then double it and your getting close.

Yes. A few years ago George Beale manufactured a couple of Curruthers Benelli 4 replicas I seem to remember that he sold them for GBP250,000. And thats a for a bike with no provenance.

Bikes are cheap , x works mikola audi quattro rally car, over $1mil US
 I would pay up to $150 k for a genuine works mid 70s suzuki and probably the same for one of those experimental twin hondas with the ribi frunt end.Howertons all conquering 250 twin shock say 80 k. But I dont have that kind of money  :'( rembember ts not just a bike you are buying it is History itself!

I agree they are relatively cheap. I also agree about the history.

Seems we're narrowing down to a maximum here.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 09:21:40 pm »
I wouldn't pay that much money for a bike...I'd rather spend it on organising a dam good VMX event  8)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

TooFastTim

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 09:47:37 pm »
Wouldn't go that far if you had to pay for beer too.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 09:57:51 pm »
Wouldn't go that far if you had to pay for beer too.

Well I was kind of hoping that you could donate your 30G  ;)  ;D
cheers a
Best is in the West !!

TooFastTim

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 10:03:09 pm »
Funny money...do you take cheques?