Author Topic: Japan Kamaishi  (Read 34669 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Japan Kamaishi
« Reply #180 on: March 23, 2011, 02:59:40 pm »
Could you imagine any of us walking for five hours to get home? It's inconceivable.

That is quite similar to my story, we had the earthquake, I took my staff out for a few drinks then walked roughly 18 kms home to my house. A lot of stores were open especially the ones selling sports shoes and bicycles and doing good business.

The bit that amazed me is some of people walked back to the office on Monday to start work again.
We are a little short on toilet paper, but we have Japanese water spray washing toilet seats so you can give your old date a quick swoosh and blow dry so TP is not essential.

When there is an earthquake they shut down all the phone systems so you can't contact anyone. But internet still works so Facebook / Skype, email was the way to go.

A lot is missing off the shelves at the moment, forget bottled water, rice and stuff that has been gone for days but you can still get bread, eggs, milk etc. I have my camp stove and lamp for the blackouts and things are cool. Business as usual.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 23, 2011, 05:19:08 pm »
well some forward movement today, they have limited instruments up on 1/2/3/5 /6 reactors including teemperature probes and pressure guages, with only decomissioned #4 obviously missing. Meanwhile 4 is maintaining under 90 degrees in the fuel pool. Cooling system on 1/2/5/6 is working, 3 is being tested in this afternoon.

1/2/3/ are sitting at just under 400 degrees C, bad part is they still have a way to cool and depressurise, happy story is they are well within containment temperatures. Spot of the old radiation about and i would avoid the coleslaw at Fukushima KFC, of course they have irradiated the ocean surrounding the plant, so avoid the Sushi as well I would say. 
formerly Marc.com

TooFastTim

« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2011, 06:21:24 pm »
Excellent news Marc.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2011, 11:28:23 am »
I go to work and implement standards,policies and procedures in a over safe environment  ::)  ::)
cheers A
A Japanese nuclear official who spent five days inside the Fukushima nuclear plant has described the tough working and living conditions inside the crippled nuclear facility.

Kazuma Yokota is being hailed as a modern samurai - one of the so-called Fukushima 50 who stayed at the crippled plant as its reactors threatened to melt down in the wake of Japan's devastating earthquake and huge tsunami.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency official says workers were given one blanket each and two meagre meals a day as they struggled to avert a nuclear disaster.

"The working conditions were harsh," he said.

"The workers inside the plant were toiling very hard. We'd have emergency biscuits for breakfast and a small bag of rice for dinner. There was the odd can of food too.

"The workers were all sleeping together in the plant's meeting room, in the hallway and in front of the toilet."

The Fukushima 50 were tasked with connecting electric cables and repairing smashed machinery and pumps in a bid to restart the plant's cooling systems.

But even a short period near the reactors meant exposing themselves to dangerous levels of radiation.

"We had lead sheets brought in and put on the floors to block the radiation," Mr Yokota said.

"But we were still exposed. I was exposed to 883 microsieverts during the five days I was there."

That is about the same as nine chest X-rays, but is low compared to what happened to 19 other workers who have been exposed to more than 100 times that amount.

Reinforcements have since been sent to Fukushima and the number of workers there has now risen to 400.

But dangerously high radiation levels mean the crews can only work one-hour shifts at a time.

The plant's operator TEPCO has admitted it did not properly warn workers about the high levels of radiation in the water in reactor No. 3.

Three workers were exposed while laying electric cables in the reactor's turbine building last week and two of them were standing up to their ankles in radioactive water for two hours.

Their protective gear was simply not up to the task but they have now been released from hospital after having their burns treated.

Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2011, 11:47:44 am »

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency official says workers were given one blanket each and two meagre meals a day as they struggled to avert a nuclear disaster.
Fooking unbelievable  :o.  Forty odd years ago the Australians at Long Tan managed to get blankets and ammo to D company in the middle of a fire fight during, in a monsoonal rain storm and in the dark by  dropping them from the smallest two man helicopter ever conceived. And the Japanese leadership couldn't identify, prioritize and improvise to give timely and needed support? And they had how long to get they act together? Fooking unbelievable  :o.

Again, the incredibly heroic individual Japanese making up for dismal national leadership, or indeed, leadership at every level from company directors to P.M.

Their protective gear was simply not up to the task but they have now been released from hospital after having their burns treated.

Fooking unbelievable  :o. Ditto the above.

I hope these heroic Japanese individuals get their rewards in this life and the next.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:46 am »
I hope these heroic Japanese individuals get their rewards in this life and the next.

This maybe a bit heavy for the early morning  ;D ,but do you think its due to them not having the western beliefs of religous leaders like we do etc..
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2011, 12:05:14 pm »

[/quote]

Good chance it will be the next, also what you would consider a reward like cash rewards or public recognition is not really comfortable for most Japanese. The TEPCO workers and their Labour Union Leadership showed their fighting spirit and willingness to accept sacrifice for the good of the group, they know and their co workers do, that pride is probably enough for them.

Regarding the Government agencies, everyone like in Aussie realises that they are a bunch of drunks and thieves, but its just how to get rid of them.

Anyone who goes anywhere near that power station is a hero to me big time.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2011, 12:15:40 pm »

This maybe a bit heavy for the early morning  ;D ,but do you think its due to them not having the western beliefs of religous leaders like we do etc..
cheers A
[/quote]

Hi Alison, actually they do all go to the temple on New Years etc so they have religious beliefs .... but the real over riding motivation is their belief in Japan and its society, this society based thinking over rides the personnel considerations. The Union leaders said it was "their duty to protect Japan".

We used to have that committment to our country .... but these days who in their right mind would die to protect NZ, throw my life away to protect Chris Carr, Patsy Wong and Darren King, bugger that, actually their has been a little too much buggery if you ask me.

formerly Marc.com

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2011, 12:57:58 pm »
They might have figured the one blanket and two meals a day was enough for 'Dead Men Walking'
I don't mean to sound hollow but that's the way it would seem from the outside, I mean you wouldn't get us in there to do repairs unless maybe to save our kids future.
Question from left field is what is the story on Thirium? At a dinner the other night I was told it does everything we need it to do but leaves no shit to make wepons out of when it's done-and that's why they wont use it. True or False?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2011, 01:06:35 pm »
We used to have that committment to our country ..

same same..more mx tracks speedway tracks,historical buildings(except the forsards) and aged care facilities all getting moved out,knocked down to make way for housing estates  ::)
And also some little kid get sick from the peanuts on the Scouts cake stall now days. :-\

save our kids future.

Excatly the kids know which side their bread is buttered, more fool mum and dad. :(  toughin up princess   ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2011, 01:20:22 pm »
They might have figured the one blanket and two meals a day was enough for 'Dead Men Walking'
I don't mean to sound hollow but that's the way it would seem from the outside, I mean you wouldn't get us in there to do repairs unless maybe to save our kids future.
Question from left field is what is the story on Thirium? At a dinner the other night I was told it does everything we need it to do but leaves no shit to make wepons out of when it's done-and that's why they wont use it. True or False?
I think you'll find the answer is Yes. Look through this or do a Google search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molten_salt_reactor

I'm not up on my nuclear physics  ::) but there appears to be better nuclear answers to our energy needs than what is currently used. What the truth is and the advantages and disadvantages are I'm not sure. 

The bad news is the rest of the world does not have a lot of uranium but Australia does but other countries have lots of thorium and won't need to buy from us. IIRC India in particular is looking closely at thorium and one reason is they have lots of it.

TooFastTim

« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2011, 03:01:33 pm »

More-or-less that's true. See my previous posting in this thread for details.

mx250

« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2011, 09:38:58 pm »
This is probably an even better idea that thorium.........

http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-first-practical-artificial-leaf/18247/

I would rather see $2bn go into this type of research rather than a feeding frenzy of roof insulation or dodgy inefficient solar panels.

mx250

« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2011, 09:00:51 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12930949

I can't believe that I read an editorial in the Telegraph praising Fukushima as a success for nuclear power stations. I heard yesterday that it might be 100 years before they will be able to fully contain the leakage from the stored used fuel rods.

If this is a nuclear success story I would hate to see a disaster ::).

"The evacuation of residents near Japan's quake-hit Fukushima nuclear plant will be long-term, officials say.

Many of the tens of thousands of people evacuated from the area around the plant are living in temporary shelters.

The announcement came as high levels of radiation were detected for the first time in groundwater near one of the facility's six reactors. "

"More than 70,000 people living within the exclusion zone have been moved to temporary shelters.

Another 136,000 people who live within 20-30km of the plant have been encouraged by the authorities to leave or to stay indoors. "

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2011, 11:36:50 am »
If this is a nuclear success story I would hate to see a disaster ::).
A have just finished readin the Chernobyl story on wilkiepedia..
The fire fighters had the same no fear as the Japanese people of saving there community/fellow countryman..What made me smile was the cover to go over the Chernobyl Disaster area and its still not completed,  ::) its got to make you think, are they really that concerned about the radiation threat. ??
People have moved back into the no go zone at Chenobyl and go about there every day lives.Floara and Fauna has also returned.Not that we want to have these kinds of disasters happening in evry country every year though.

quote;The New Safe Confinement (NSC or New Shelter) is the structure intended to contain the nuclear reactor at Chernobyl, Ukraine, part of which was destroyed by the Chernobyl disaster in 1986. The idea is to prevent the reactor wreck from leaking radioactive material into the environment. Originally planned to be in place by 2005, as of 2010 the confinement is expected to be completed in 2013.[1]

Best is in the West !!