Author Topic: Japan Kamaishi  (Read 34664 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Japan Kamaishi
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2011, 06:28:33 pm »
The moon affects the tides, thats accepted so how is it not accepted that it affects the Earths solids masses in the similar fashion?

Ah but remember that the earths crust is a thin layer floating on a liquid.

Exactly.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2011, 06:32:54 pm »

[/quote]
The moon affects the tides, thats accepted so how is it not accepted that it affects the Earths solids masses in the similar fashion?
[/quote]

Bit of sarcasim on my behalf-sorry..I'm all for the moon and her movements- half my pantry cupboard is full of presevatives from our vegie garden and orchard thanks to the Moon. Its all a balance  8)
cheers A
[/quote]

Alls cool Alison. I was questioning all these commentators who says its all B.S even though certain astro and geophysicists warned of the possiblity of what happened in Japan , very accurately.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »
Romantics, werewolves and other moon-gazers are in for a treat this weekend as they witness the biggest full moon seen in nearly 20 years.
Bloody werewolves.
Place will be crawling with them again.
So hard to kill to. :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2011, 09:13:18 pm »

Ah but remember that the earths crust is a thin layer floating on a liquid.

Exactly.

The moon theory seems feasible to me too.
That’s not to say that the moon causes this shit but if the moons pull causes our tides and this faze of the moon being closer is supposed to be creating higher tides, even if only 1 % higher then it could also have an effect on the earths crust.
While it won’t cause an earthquake in itself, but in an area where these inner plates have built up overdue stress it could be the final straw for the big Heave -Ho.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2011, 09:32:39 pm »
Romantics, werewolves and other moon-gazers are in for a treat this weekend as they witness the biggest full moon seen in nearly 20 years.

Ummmm... correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that mean there was a full moon this size or bigger about 20 years ago.  From memory the world didn't end that time either  ::) ::)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2011, 09:56:32 pm »
Ummmm... correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that mean there was a full moon this size or bigger about 20 years ago.  From memory the world didn't end that time either  ::) ::)

oh heck yes... it was someone else's theory on the earths moves..we've talked about everything else,but the moon  ;D
You coming down south for a vmx hit next weekend ??
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

TooFastTim

« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2011, 08:04:37 pm »
Rehashing this thread, see below. What gets me is the maximum dose for a US radiation worker (50 microSv). In Aus it's 18 microSv. For a better look see: http://xkcd.com/radiation/

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:06:13 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2011, 08:19:06 pm »
Yes well the Japanese have a little more than daily dose to deal with. They have raised their exposure limit accordingly , but seem to be working in +/- 300  MicroSv range, when it gets above that they are out of there.

As I mentioned earlier however, never under estimate the Japanese capacity for self sacrifice, they know they are getting damaging amounts of radiation but the courageous little bastards are still going in.... with their union leaders out front I might add. 

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/22_03.html
formerly Marc.com

TooFastTim

« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2011, 08:49:44 pm »
300 uSv/h is a helluva dose rate Marc. 24 hours and you have a (certain) lethal dose, 15 hours and you're going to be very ill indeed (skin sloughing, hair falling out, vomitting etc). I assume they're running a rota. Self sacrifice although noble is actually a pointless excercise as your hosts discovered during the war. I would think that 1-2 hours on then off for a few weeks. I'm not sure of the fractionation details but the health phycisists, med phycisists and rad-ocologists would have it dialled.

I think I mentioned I have worked on devices that were in that range but for 5 minutes and then no exposure for a month. If you're interested the device was a berylium target. We started with two but because of sanctions reverse-engineered another two to reduce our exposure.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2011, 08:50:57 pm »
One thing is certain - we never gave them credit for their unbelievable bravery in WWII. We called it anything and everything else. But it was awesome.

Offline Husky70

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2011, 10:50:45 pm »
Those of us whose uncles spent three years in their tender care in Changi some 60 years ago might see things differently. "Awesome"? Jeez... to be charitable, perhaps you are too young to have such a close connection. Or are we meant to hold hands and sing Kumbaya?

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2011, 11:15:49 pm »
Unbelievable bravery Luke?....or just another form of terrorisim......best do a Vwalter on that one sonny....make it go poof.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2011, 11:41:11 pm »
Those of us whose uncles spent three years in their tender care in Changi some 60 years ago might see things differently. "Awesome"? Jeez... to be charitable, perhaps you are too young to have such a close connection. Or are we meant to hold hands and sing Kumbaya?

So would the 150,000 civillians(mainly children, women and elderly) that were vaporised in Nagasaki and Hiroshima?
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2011, 11:42:00 pm »
I can see this thread going the way alot of others do.

Noting that the news has swung across to Libya for a few days now I am wondering why the Australians so generously sent a huge water cannon to Japan to help with the cooling ,isnt a bit late for that ? Last I heard two reactors had power restored , I had thought that the other two would have also by now. If not then at least there is only two reactors to pump water onto instaed of four , so haven't they got enough water cannons? Don't get it .