Author Topic: 1974 Suzuki TM250 Works Replica  (Read 26085 times)

TM BILL

Re: 1974 Suzuki TM250 Works Replica
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2011, 12:17:09 pm »
From the Collins oxford dictionary
Safe to say their are fork all replicas in VMX

Cmon Bill replicas are like 'limited editions' , 'anniversary models', from memory Joel Smets even had one.
Not to mention '6 Days replicas', 'Paris Dakar' replicas, 'Lucky Strike' replicas.

Sorry mate not according to the dictonary  ;)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2011, 12:20:39 pm »

I see he did this to save weight, it would be interesting to start weighing tanks to see what is really saved.
I have a YZ C tank and it comes in at 1.6 Kg

Any one got a TM tank to weigh?

3kg on the b'room scales, GMC.

Not a lot of wt saving there, but at the risk of opening a can of worms, the 190lbs may not be as far fetched as it seems.

Larry Watkins built 197 lb stock frame 360 RT2M back in the day & the TM engine is considerably lighter than an RT2 engine. Also, it maybe a TS250 frame which are somewhat lighter than TM frames.  

Having a TS250 frame & engine (w the rack-&-pinion clutch cover) in the shed, I've often tho't one should be able to make a lightweight weapon w a min of fuss/cost. 75TM gear ratios & 74 barrell would be a nice addition too.

200lbs should be realstic.

Its a very nice looking bike (apart from the gold rims) even w the YZ tank, which isn't too-far out of place IMHO.

Its not hard to see Mark's point w the works replica tag (& the original price!), but I don't have a problem w it, since it is used so broadly these days.

He does actually call it a "TM250 works replica", which is an oxymoron if ever there was one!!
So I don't really think he's trying to misrepresent it.

TM BILL

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2011, 12:21:27 pm »
From the Collins oxford dictionary

REPLICA exact copy,esp. duplicate made by original artist of his picture etc model esp on smaller scale

I believe this clears up the misuse of the word replica  ;)

Safe to say their are fork all replicas in VMX

Even the coveted 74 rh 250s and RN 400s are not REPLICAS of the original works bikes , very cool bikes in their own right but not replicas  :)

Come on Bill, that’s a bit like twisting statistics to suit your objective.

noun
1.    a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision.

2.   any close or exact copy or reproduction.

You missed line 2
My HL replicas are a close reproduction

Geoff you must have the Aussie version of the Oxford  ;)

As i interpret the word your pipes would be replicas of your original , ie built to the same spec as the original by the original craftsman  ;D and thats a good thing  ;D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2011, 12:44:29 pm »
Yeah but Bill Geoffs pipes are replicas of the replica pipes he produced from the HL replicas.

So does that mean I have an..... HL replica replica replica ?
formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2011, 01:14:58 pm »
Yeah but Bill Geoffs pipes are replicas of the replica pipes he produced from the HL replicas.

So does that mean I have an..... HL replica replica replica ?

You would have to check with big K on that one Marc  :D

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2011, 03:06:31 pm »
Geoff you must have the Aussie version of the Oxford  ;)

I guess we can use what ever version suits our needs ;D

As i interpret the word your pipes would be replicas of your original , ie built to the same spec as the original by the original craftsman  ;D and thats a good thing  ;D

Now I'm pissed off, I bought a Holden Commodore recently and now you tell me its just a replica ??? :o ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

TM BILL

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2011, 03:17:53 pm »
In saying all that if its your bike you can call it Susan if you want  :) its nobodys buisness but yours what you call it (until its up for sale  ;) )

I think calling somthing a replica if you have built it yourself is doing yourself an injustice . Its your creation your personal  interpretation of what ever it might be  ;D and going by my Oxford definition again only you can build a replica of that creation  ???

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2011, 03:37:34 pm »
Ahh Bill, being an ex-pom it would seem your all hung up on the wording from Pommy dictionaries ;D

And from the Websters dictionary...
Noun 1. Copy that is not the original; something that has been copied.[Wordnet].
Verb 1. A copy of a work of art, as of a picture or statue, made by the maker of the original.[Websters]
2. Repetition.[Websters]
3. Base verb from the following inflections: replicaing, replicaed, replicas, replicaer, replicaers, replicaingly and replicaedly

Doesnt' say anything about it has to be built by the original builder.

And from Microsoft word thesaurus...(we all know that Microsoft could never be wrong)
Replca, to...
copy
imitation
duplication
reproduction
carbon copy

So if a carbon copy of a HL or CMS frame is not to be called a replica, what would it be called?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2011, 04:41:41 pm »

So if a carbon copy of a HL or CMS frame is not to be called a replica, what would it be called?

I would say if it is a carbon copy then facsimilie would be the appropriate term.  ;)

formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2011, 04:55:55 pm »
Ahh Bill, being an ex-pom 

Geoff thats the nicest thing anyones ever said to me  :'( cheques in the mail  :)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2011, 10:30:43 pm »

I see he did this to save weight, it would be interesting to start weighing tanks to see what is really saved.
I have a YZ C tank and it comes in at 1.6 Kg

Any one got a TM tank to weigh?

3kg on the b'room scales, GMC.

Not a lot of wt saving there,

Actually 1.4 Kg saving doesn’t sound too bad, I would have thought it would be way less than that.

firko

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2011, 10:23:57 am »
While we're on the subject of trick TM Suzukis, here's a couple of shots of Roger Grangers trick TM400 that he claims weighs 170lbs! I have no other details of the bike other than the caption to the photos stating the weight. It's a trick one for sure, it appears to have an aftermarket frame but who can spot the other parts on the bike?
I'm glad I found this bike and the claim of it weighing 170lbs. That might help silence the doubting Thomas who questioned my own TM400s 180lbs weight. ;)

TM BILL

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2011, 12:31:47 pm »

Very cool bike  8) i want one  ;D

RM B tank
RM 125B,C front wheel
Sw arm
Pipe
mag cover
chain guide
Gear lever
shocks
air fork caps
RM seat
Brake stay arm
Rear wheel ?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:50:56 pm by TM BILL »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2011, 01:35:28 pm »
It's a trick one for sure, it appears to have an aftermarket frame but who can spot the other parts on the bike?

Any thoughts on which after market frame ??, engine mounts look a lot like the stockers.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2011, 03:07:52 pm »
Your slipping Black Bill.....84 RM alloy gearlever, RMT footpegs?, trick alloy kickstart (whats it off Bill), alloy clutch arm (wherent std steel?).....but he's  lost the plot.....he's got 2 sparkplugs in it....whats he thinking? ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.