Author Topic: 1974 Suzuki TM250 Works Replica  (Read 26068 times)

firko

Re: 1974 Suzuki TM250 Works Replica
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2011, 03:40:02 pm »
Are they Yamaha YZA/B forks? The frame may be a Champion or C&J...The steering head bracing and swingarm look Champion. Not sure though ???

TM BILL

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2011, 05:06:23 pm »
Forks look like std TM 250/400 L or M may be turned down a bit  ???

Joan you got me on the footpegs  ::) been using those on TMs that long forgot there not std  ;D you sure the kickstarts alloy ? looks Like  RM A B C std equip ::)  ???

oldfart

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2011, 05:53:12 pm »
Swing arm looks very Dr 400 ish. ( 1980 model )

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2011, 06:05:33 pm »
In saying all that if its your bike you can call it Susan if you want  :) its nobodys buisness but yours what you call it (until its up for sale  ;) )

I think calling somthing a replica if you have built it yourself is doing yourself an injustice . Its your creation your personal  interpretation of what ever it might be  ;D and going by my Oxford definition again only you can build a replica of that creation  ???

dont know i just dont think susan is an ideal name for a tm 250 ;D

firko

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2011, 06:06:48 pm »
A mate emailed me this arvo and reckoned that he saw the bike on Mark Holloways chat room a couple of years ago and apparently it's got a titanium frame.
''I was at the race at Glen Helen where he showed up with that trick TM and saw it both racing and up close. I think his last name is actually Byrd if I recall right. The bike had aftermarket frame (can't remember if it was a C&J?) and swingarm, custom triple clamps, and everything lightned, milled, drilled, or made of unobtanium. The bike was patterned after those factory Suzuki works bikes from the early 1970's that DID weigh 170lbs and it would not surprise me if it actually was that light or close to it. Dan himself on the otherhand looked to be an easy 200+ pounder 

I had never heard of him or seen him race before, but we have a couple former factory riders racing with our VMX club and he was right with them all day on that TM. It carved and turned like no TM I ever remembered and had plenty of power and straightline stability and he was just flicking it around on what was a very tight track that day with 1 large uphill that he would scoot right up chasing the top 2 guys. He may have even won a moto or class 1st overall for the day too, but my memory isn't that great as I wasn't really focused on him or the bike that much unless it was between my motos''

AND
Dan Berg was a 5X CMC champ....I parked next to him at the Calvmx race after Glen Helen which was at Perris Raceway last month. Yes it was a Titanium framed works replica TM400 and the owner(didnt catch his name) did tell me it was 170 lbs....Dan was leading his race with Scott Burnworth and Jim Gibson in hot pursuit before the pipe broke...

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:42:00 pm by firko »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2011, 06:55:22 pm »
Forks look like std TM 250/400 L or M may be turned down a bit  ???

Joan you got me on the footpegs  ::) been using those on TMs that long forgot there not std  ;D you sure the kickstarts alloy ? looks Like  RM A B C std equip ::)  ???
Yeah i'd say it's a alloy kick starter, it's also got Ohlins shocks.

DR

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:57 pm »
Kickstarter looks almost '83 Kawasaki..'Tis what I've been using for years on my 400C ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:30 pm »
Are they Yamaha YZA/B forks? The frame may be a Champion or C&J...The steering head bracing and swingarm look Champion. Not sure though ???

Dick Mann, square swingarm has that look, however the fact that it is made out of Titanium makes the origin even more interesting. I have often wondered how TM400 donk would go with CZ or Maico frame from the era.

But very tasty sled, be nice in my garage.
formerly Marc.com