Author Topic: Trip to the USA.  (Read 160853 times)

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to the USA.
« Reply #465 on: February 06, 2015, 01:35:03 pm »

Pic of the banded version, thanks to 333 racing for the new FT basket. Have all my engine parts packed up, totals nearly 30kg. Will assemble in Texas at our mate Bill Davis's place, hopefully the motorhome will start up, and will head for Georgia for the All-Star Nationals round 1 on March 6, have competed in this series before in Ashland (placed 2nd to a pretty fast bloke riding a Hanson Race Tech prepared Honda 500/fast).

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 06, 2015, 01:41:35 pm »
What breaks the clutch basket Pete? Load from extra horsepower, centrifugal force from extra revs or a combination of the two maybe??

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 06, 2015, 02:52:17 pm »
Is there any other events in March , I am heading over there on March 9 to March 31
Driving from La to New York , would be good to see one event while I am over there.
Thanks mick

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 06, 2015, 04:01:19 pm »
The fixers and flushers festival is on in bumfu.k Tennessee. Don't miss it ;D
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 06, 2015, 04:26:05 pm »
Mick, I think you will miss the racing at Daytona Speed Week, the Vintage Nationals are in Barberville, Fl. 9th and 10th of March. One half -mile and a short-track. The GNC races are close to them, just after me thinks, on the AMA site. Shame mate I could have used a hand, the rest of the calender kicks off in May, when it all thaws out, if I can get some results I plan to return later in June for a couple of mths.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 06, 2015, 05:58:11 pm »
The fixers and flushers festival is on in bumfu.k Tennessee. Don't miss it ;D
will there be any butt joins there teddy  :P

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 06, 2015, 06:02:03 pm »
Mick, I think you will miss the racing at Daytona Speed Week, the Vintage Nationals are in Barberville, Fl. 9th and 10th of March. One half -mile and a short-track. The GNC races are close to them, just after me thinks, on the AMA site. Shame mate I could have used a hand, the rest of the calender kicks off in May, when it all thaws out, if I can get some results I plan to return later in June for a couple of mths.
thats a real bummer , I am going to go to Utah to see the salt lake flats if they aren't snowed under  :o just to see where the fastest Indian was from nz .
But I will try and get to a flattrack museum  ;)

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 08, 2015, 04:43:56 pm »
The AMA Museum in Ohio is worth a visit, plenty of XR's to look at. Our last visit there was the same day Garry Nixon died. They have some of his stuff. If you get up around the Finger Lakes area (NY State, its beautiful) go to the Curtiss Museum. Watkins Glen is not far away, although we didn't visit the track the area is nice, although be cold there now.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 08, 2015, 05:59:30 pm »
The AMA Museum in Ohio is worth a visit, plenty of XR's to look at. Our last visit there was the same day Garry Nixon died. They have some of his stuff. If you get up around the Finger Lakes area (NY State, its beautiful) go to the Curtiss Museum. Watkins Glen is not far away, although we didn't visit the track the area is nice, although be cold there now.
thanks for the info 52 , I really wanted to go in May when it was a bit warmer but it was two against one  ???

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 08, 2015, 08:25:08 pm »
you must go here its great
 Dan Rouit Flat Track Museum
309 West Rialto Ave
 Clovis, California 93612-4331

Please call between 11 AM and 7 PM for hours open information.

559 291-2242    [email protected]

Dan and Kathy Rouit
its near fresno
start you trip from there
jim

Offline johnmcc

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 12, 2015, 10:25:13 pm »
The Dan Rouit museum is a must see if you are up near Clovis . Dan and Kathy are a great couple , the museum has a really good selection of trackers  from very early through to late 80's

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 13, 2015, 10:22:51 am »
I agree with Jim, try and get to Dan and Kathy's flat track museum in Fresno Ca. It's only small when compared to big mega millionaire set ups like the Barber museum but it's got a lot of tasty flat trackers and well worth the trip out to Fresno. Dan's wheelchair bound and lately in poor health but is a great bloke and Kathy or one of the volunteers may give you a guided tour.
http://www.vft.org/rouit.html    . Tom White's motocross and flat track museum is worth a visit as well, it's in Villa Park in Orange Co, Ca. It's not open to the public except for special days or events but it's worth a call.    http://www.earlyyearsofmx.com/

There are usually a lot of Aussies and Kiwis racing at Bonneville, especially in the bike classes. Let's hope it's not rained or washed out. I was hoping to get to Bonneville this year myself but "stuff" has now put my trip back to later in the year.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 22, 2015, 11:42:04 am »
We are back in the USA, good to see Bill and Nancy again. We went out to dinner at a café, anyone who says American food is not good has not eat with the locals, fantastic. Our good ol'Ford fired right up, 18 mths sitting and 2 hits on the starter and she's off, brilliant. Grasy has added some upgrades, TV, DVD, Vacuum, etc, will feel guilty using his brand new Maxxis.

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 22, 2015, 11:46:55 am »
Out with the old, our old engine parts form the 629cc engine from 2013. The thing done a great job, 6.8 hrs on it including the mile at Sac. It all looked Ok, minor scuffing is all.

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 22, 2015, 12:00:14 pm »

My new motor assembled, lot of people have helped with this, Len Norris with the ports and machining, Grasy, Wattsy, Humey, Pag and Jeff Hawbaker along with some others I can't recall. Basically I/we have lost 110cc, added mass, less overlap on the cam and increased compression. The thing is fast, although the other one is as well. Very different in their delivery, the 629 was brutal out of slow corners suited to Aussie dirt track, the new one is good everywhere, even worked well at Taree. Proof will be at Savannah Georgia, Half-Mile straight up, it will be cool.