Author Topic: Hello From Melbourne (Kawasaki F11B)  (Read 55754 times)

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Hello From Melbourne (Kawasaki F11B)
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2011, 08:33:47 pm »
Quick update, i have won everything on ebay as above other than the mesh headlight covers...they are fair sought after as fit all the holdens and fords of the late 60's early 70's and i like things cheap :)

ontop of the above i have been hunting different rear shocks on ebay all the time as my rear springs are rubbed back as all the chrome was rusted and pitted etc and the bump stops are shagged....from looking at them im pretty sure mine arent rebuildable, unless someone knows otherwise ? all i really want to do is pull apart to add bump stops.

Anyway they are 13.5" eye to eye and on ebay last night popped up some 1979 KL250 rear shocks 12$ buy now so i snapped them up, $25 or so once added postage.

they measure 15.5" eye to eye i think which should bring the back up a little as it has always looked like it sits fair low plus i weigh around 85kg so some extra height would be great.  Cant find any stats on travel distance but id guess it would be more like 5" compared to the current 4"

So this weeks mail should have around 5 different items within which is great.

i picked up the CRF handle bar guards, quickly rubbed back (with a too low grade sandpaper so scratchy lol) and rattle canned black, they fit perfect but only look "ok" bit too new look and batman like.....i think i will just get others or whack them on when going riding, will see how they look with everything else once back together.

Cheers

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2011, 07:24:13 pm »
Nice amount of post arrived home today.

The petcock filter arrived along with the speedo/tacho NOS shieilds and the KL250 shocks.

Also i found some of the headlight mesh guards i have been looking for incl postage for a good price so they are on their way via express post.

Shocks are slightly longer which is great, best aspect though is that on the softest setting they are stiffer than the stock shocks on their hardest setting.
Springs are 60mm diameter as opposed to stock of 50mm.  I like the way they look tougher and more enduro whilst stock looked a bit cruiser like.  Also the springs themselves still have the chrome with no rust, the stock ones i had to actually sand the chrome away to get rid of rust and pitting, very happy with these new ones.

Does anyone know how to take apart the old tacho / speedo ? the silver back comes off no prob and then there appeared to be a fair bit of green like sealant stuff that sealed the screws that hold in the actual mechanism internal and then seals the internal case onto the plastic casing, it appears the plastic casing is then fused around the casing ? do you have to chip away the plastic to pull it apart then reseal it yourself afterwards ? they must be made to come apart. mine doesnt look exactly like this one below, mine seems trickier

http://users.telenet.be/tups/speedo.htm

My dad was chatting with my uncle last night (his younger brother), he owns dad old 1972 suzuki TS185, he wants me to restore it once i have done mine and he will fund everything, so looking forward to that once mine is complete.

some  pics below

Cheers

oldfart

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2011, 07:43:42 pm »
Jaderd , you are doing a find job I must say. Be careful with milk those crates as they tend to colaspe under weight.

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2011, 07:54:16 pm »
ha, funny you should say that, it has already collapsed / spread open a little, this weekend i will look for something better to use, its still front heavy at moment so need something i can fill with weights or just hang some weights off back to balance it etc.

Cheers

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2011, 07:56:34 pm »
Quick update, 7" oversize headlight gaurds arrived today, mocked one up on front, fits fairly well, also sat guard on and tested gauges, all looked goo and new ears keep headlight in closer not sticking out from of gauges by much more than 2cm.  Also tested throttle and brake lever, all fits perfect behind the CRF handle bar guards and they are looking better the more I add parts, once chunky front tread on should all tie in nicely, like the contrast of chrome n black

Cheers

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:15:00 am by JADERD »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 08:13:32 pm »
Nice amount of post arrived home today.
Love it --so like Christmas  :P  8)  ;D
Does anyone know how to take apart the old tacho / speedo ? the silver back comes off no prob and then there appeared to be a fair bit of green like sealant stuff that sealed the screws that hold in the actual mechanism internal and then seals the internal case onto the plastic casing, it appears the plastic casing is then fused around the casing ? do you have to chip away the plastic to pull it apart then reseal it yourself afterwards ? they must be made to come apart. mine doesnt look exactly like this one below, mine seems trickier
mmm,I think they are vacuumed packed at the factory,not something easy for anyone to do  :-X

She's lookin real a beauty Jaderd-Well Done  8)
cheers West Oz
Best is in the West !!

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2011, 08:14:42 am »
Cheers mate,

as for the gauges thats a little annoying.

the tacho worked fine, would still like to have painted face panel, though the speedo was just randomly jumping around from memory.  Will see maybe once i reinstall it will work or the cable may be shagged and not gauge.

Either way i think in time i will get one of the trailtech computers and mount that, from the comparison chart best value for money is the Vector model, ultimate would be the voyager but bit to expensive i think.

That way the vector could count as speedo.....not sure if that would then enable road worthy ok ?
also has good features like lubrication, maintenance reminder and lap counters incase start any vinduros for some fun.

http://www.trailtech.net/computer_comparison.html

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2011, 09:15:22 pm »
Ok so the indicators arrived and are sweet, but globes from my indicators fit perfect just that they are too tall by around 6-8 mm and i cant put the lense back on.

My globes say 6V17w on them so figured thats what they should be and thats what my wiring diagram states.

Now the wiring diagram for the road going F11 250 TR only has 6V8W globes which are nice and small and would fit in the indicators great, now the only difference in the two wiring diagrams that i could see other than horn diff of .5amp and different look of voltage regulator, seems to have an extra switch within it in the 250 TR (need someone to tell me if that is significant) is that the turn signal relay is then a 6V8W X2 + 1.5w

So do you think if i swapped relays to that 6V8w version which i guess is below and changed my globes to 6V8W in indicators they would fit and all would be sweet?

From looking at parts manual online for the 1974 F11 (same as mine) the relay is part no 27002-013   RELAY-TURN SIGNAL

no the part below on ebay states the same number: 6V/8W MATCHES KAW PART NO. 27002-010/013 though is in 6V8W which makes me think it is interchangeable ?

and this little chart makes me think if i change the turn signal relay and globes it will work, seems most kawasaki were the lower watt option

ure and Emgo #   OEM Ref   Application    Volt/Watt
 A. 66-86706    38310-428-671    Honda - most 6v models                     6v/17w
 B. 66-86716    27002-010/013    Kawasaki - Most 6v models 73-84              6v/8w

Any info would be great

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KAWASAKI-FLASHER-UNIT-6V-8W-/190554312339?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5dec0e93#ht_500wt_1156

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:25:39 pm by JADERD »

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2011, 09:30:47 pm »
i bought the relay...only 10 $ might work

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2011, 08:35:44 am »
Scored this Joe Rocket replica super sport jacket on ebay last night, very cheap compared to orig retail price.

picking it up this evening. 

Also i got my learners permit yesterday  so very happy about that.

For those OS or interstate Victoria's process is quite good i think.

My learners permit i must hold for a min 3 months or a max 15 months before i go for my licence, once i get my licence i dont have to display any P  plates as already have full car licence, just have the usual restrictions for 12 months like everyone else, 0.0 BAC, LAMS approved bike, no pillion etc, once the 12 months of actual licence are up the restrictions lift.

Ill keep my learners for a while as i prob wont be on the road for three months when in theory i could progress to full licence if wanted to, will see.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:04:30 am by JADERD »

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2011, 02:49:41 pm »
also just won this baby on ebay dirt cheap.....under half the retail mentioned below and in as new condition!!

http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.au/p/563472/dririder-climate-2-jacket-textile-black.html

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2011, 11:28:00 am »
Was thinking about my tacho / speedo and i know the speed doesnt work for some reason or another and is a vac sealed unit from factory.

Pretty sure i should be replacing tacho cable and speedo cable (might fix problem) etc but adds more cost

Sooooo

i bit the bullet and order a Trailtech Vapor (stealth black) Unit

does speed / Revs/ motor temp / ambient temp/ clock and heaps more, shift lights

internal 3v battery, to use the full backlight ad warning/ shift lights needs 12V
straight from trailtech they reccomend as the cheapest easiest is to use a standard 9V battery with connection from radioshack, hit it away and it will run the unit perfect with backlight etc for around 1 year....very cheap fix for 6V bike guys like me and you dont have to splice anything.

Complete kit including postage and Top mount dashboard only $170 fro ebay shop in the UK, pretty cheap and cheaper than the trailtech site without even including postage.

I measured my stock guage mount and the top mount i bought fits perfect using the left tacho mount hole and right speedo mount hole and clears the ignition perfect.  I will wait until i get a replacement mount before i cut off the other tabs or i have another idea lined up for there use, will see what pans out....

all going well....wallet getting thin ;)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2011, 12:04:53 pm »
 For blue slip rego in NSW odometer has to work. cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2011, 12:24:26 pm »
yeah im not sure in VIC, i will need to look through the ADR rules etc.

the vapor does have an ODO with no memory loss, permanent memory so may get around it, worst case i get some basic dials to use for RWC then rip off and go to vapor.

funny isnt it as the new technology digital would be far more accurate and safer than relying on an oldschool setup tha  works temporarily or could stop at any time.

Cheers

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2011, 12:32:36 pm »
Just found this

Speedometer

Vehicles manufactured from 1 July 1988 and licensed buses and taxis of any age must be fitted with a functioning odometer and a speedometer calibrated in km/h.

from this doc

This Information has been provided by VIC Roads November 2009
Official Vehicle Standard Information - Roadworthiness Requirements

might be ok...especially re a bike....prob looks better on my part that i have fitted a new speedo / odo etc