Author Topic: Hello From Melbourne (Kawasaki F11B)  (Read 55755 times)

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Hello From Melbourne (Kawasaki F11B)
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 01:31:53 pm »
nice update for ya.

exhaust arrived from Sidney Montana USA.

i swear its been sitting on a shelf for 35 yrs....swear its lucky to have had a years use!!, has a tag on it stating 75 F11B so must have been in storage

$22 for it......$90 postage so still cheap around $110 AU

came within 7 days :) no dings, rust or anything at all really, basically pristine, a lot better than what i expected, im now a very happy man.

Look a new Edge Trimmer

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 05:38:41 pm »
You little RIPPER...good old vintage -still cheap as chips !!  8)  :P
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

mxfool

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 07:05:34 pm »
hello jaderd
welcome to the FORUM a fantastic brains trust where you can get answers to anything bike related,
i have been following your resto and cannot wait to see the finished product.
mxfool  ;D

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2011, 06:53:03 pm »
Cheers guys,

Tex, thanks for the email you sent me, it was me who emailed re. Tallarook and attending as spectator, pretty sure i will make it to Tallarook on sunday prior to the start so can checkout some bikes and watch the cold start.

Bike will end up being club / vintage reg and used once a week maybe.

Is a moderator able to relocate this thread into the Kawasaki forum area ? save me re doing it all.

Cheers

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2011, 09:01:54 pm »
Evening all, sitting watching footy and thought i would see if a moderator was able to move this to the kawasaki section for me, would be much appreciated if possible,

thank you

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 12:11:46 pm »
quick update, havent done alot lately, cleaned up my rear baffle etc...will prob paint it black to match exhaust or leave it bare metal for a bit of contrast...dunno yet.

have saved up my meager allowance i give myself and the missus to buy some parts.

Have grabbed things that i know i will need for the rebuilding of the bike, my orig stuff was missing or broken etc.

pics below

Kick Start Boss, my old one had snapped at the pin

Rear Chain Tensioner, mine had some homemade jobs on there

Front and rear wheel bearings

Vintage Cross Bar pad....similar colors to bike with the blue in their

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 11:08:14 pm »
This arvo i spent hour or two and did the second fork so that i could do a mock piece up of some of the front end, need to see how it will look to keep me inspired and moving on.

Happy with how it looks, some pics below, the tacho n speedo i am going to drop the bracket lower by around 5-8cm so that it sits flush with the top triple as opposed to stock, this will fit better as i have/will drop the headlight down so that is more inline with the tank/seat/rear tail...didnt like how it sat up high.

Will also let the forks pop through the top triple by maybe an inch to lower the front end slightly.

Just doing this mock up has made me heaps enthused to keep doing more of the cleaning/sanding/polishing/painting that is needed before any actual putting back together.

Cheers

*note headlight brackets were upside down in garage pics, rectified in pics inside house.

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2011, 12:31:57 pm »

Arvo all,

just had a closer look at rear sprocket, i am aware the front is dead and needs replacing.

Please have a look at pics below and let me know your thoughts on the rear, to me there looks to be slight wear

to take sprocket off im guessing i have to bend back down the "safety" tabs or whatever they may be called to allow socket on ?

is it minimal wear & ok to continue to use?

Is it ok to reverse the sprocket then put back on so the wear then isnt a factor ?

or is it best to replace ?

budget build in mind also :)

If replacing is best im guessing my chain may also be beyond normal stretch limits (still to check) thus needing all 3 items.  Is there kits you can get containing all three that may have different tooth counts and pitch ? i dont know alot about sprocket / chain setups but from reading a little; pitch is another thing i should look at (what are pitch benefits etc..holding chain on better?)....understand the addition and reduction of teeth aspect fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Pics below

mxfool

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2011, 01:03:19 pm »
Hi my though is the rear teeth are in good shape and only needs a new chain i have had worse and it worked fine for a long time get a good quality chain looking forward to see how the resto unfolds.

mxfool

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2011, 11:31:28 am »
Cheers mate, i thought the rear sprocket looked fine too.

got some feedback from other ppl on other forums which were similar, some said if chaging one sprocket best change both although may not have to all the time, but everyone has said definitely change the chain as its a stretched chain that eats sprockets etc.

So i will compromise to save costs, i will change front sprocket and chain and leave rear sprocket as is for now.

Thanks for feedback mate.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2011, 04:23:40 pm »
Keep at it Jaderd,  :P
Doc an old forum member is also watching the progress. :)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2011, 08:11:08 pm »
cheers, i think Doc was pointed out to me at the tallarook vinduro ?, i was chatting to a guy who was talking about someone (pretty sure it was doc) and saying he has an F11 or had in afew in the past etc. He was riding some other bike on the day

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2011, 08:43:30 pm »
cheers, i think Doc was pointed out to me at the tallarook vinduro ?, i was chatting to a guy who was talking about someone (pretty sure it was doc) and saying he has an F11 or had in afew in the past etc. He was riding some other bike on the day

The Doc I write of is up near Brisbane,He has many posts on the forum in the Suzuki Topics  ...Keep truck'n ..its going to be great..
cheers west oz
Best is in the West !!

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2011, 05:06:10 pm »
Hi all quick update, have ordered some more Parts n hopefully win others on eBay, some required and others for both aesthetics and practicality.  Quick question I know jack all about electric systems, I found a little 6v Ni-cd battery pack in an old remote control car. Could that work to test out my wiring system rather then setting up n charging the new lead acid one I have ?, could it work overall aswell instead of lead acid ? I'm guessing there must be something with amps etc that means this can't work as it seems too simple lol

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2011, 08:20:08 am »
not sure ill bother testing wires just yet, was getting ahead of myself in little details like indicators i would like when i have so much cleaning and polishing / painting that really needs to be done.

info from ppl and net has lead me to believe that 12 V indicators can be used not a problem as long as they are of an average size that you can swap bulbs over to a 6 V bulb.  after hunting ebay etc i found some i like that are classified as mini indicators and from the pics on ebay it appears a standard 6 volt bulb should fit in, the case is 60mm X 47mm, so i snapped them up $25 inlc postage so pretty cheap. Its the tiny 12v indicators that you generally cannot interchange as the bulb is so small and no 6v bulbs are generally small enough....so fingers crossed.

also the 1wire, 2 wire and 3 wire aspects got me a bit stuck until i read that

1 wire = 1 wire signal, ground via bolt
2 wire = 1 wire signal, 1 wire ground and generally bolt grounds also
3 wire = 1 wire signal, 1 wire ground and 1 wire marker (i dunno what marker is)

these are two wire so should be ok.....current ones on bike are 1 wire rear, although the fronts do have two wire and seem to go back to a major ground from looking at the wiring diagram.

list of whats i have bought / on way soon

Steering Stem dust shield on way then i can properly put front end together...need some grease too

Petcock filter, current one crappy

7" mesh headlight guards, one for front to slip over headlight and mount on front hole of headlight bracket (headlight on middle hole)
spare one im going to experiment cutting it up and bending for a rear tail light cover

NOS speedo / tacho covers, slip on top has a slight lip on then stops glare i guess and other debris...more just for looks / wank factor

Indicators - basic style, i didnt want complete round....bit more current era look, will sit on 3rd hole of headlight brackets, closest to bike -$25

Honda CRF 450 handle bar guards - ebay $26.....shoulf fit fine, to paint black

How it sits currently, back in garage so can fiddle with it easier, made some space, fitted a few parts just mocked up to keep me inspired, liking how it looks, headlight needs to come up a little.  Bought some digital vernier calipers the other day to make measuring things easier come putting things back together and testing chain slack etc.....just need a 1/2" drive torque wrench and i have most tools i need then.

Thanks again for input from ppl all the time, makes life easier and keeps me inspired