Author Topic: Hello From Melbourne (Kawasaki F11B)  (Read 55744 times)

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Hello From Melbourne (Kawasaki F11B)
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:34:50 am »
Hi All

joined the forum to gain knowledge and information about how to go about a basic restoration and clean up of dads old bike and my old learn to ride / buzz around the family vineyard as a kid bike.

cheers

Basic Rundown

Dad purchased bike brand new in Aus in 1975, apparently a bike shop went bust in adelaide and they had 8-10 bikes (all F11B) shop in mildura sourced them and dad got it cheap in crate to mildura then was put together in mildura by bike shop.....think he payed around 750 $ Aud back in the day......

Prior to that dad had a suzuki TS 185 i think it is ?...or TC 185 73 model

Dad rode the bike occasionally mainly as low km commuter to night job (10km return) as ran vineyard during day and used it to get around vineyard and check the irrigation etc.....rigged up a shovel holder at one point lol :)....got parked in shed in 1985-7 and then i first nagged him to get it out in 1996.  Had been parked for 8-9 years, put some fuel in and 2 kicks on choke then one with it off and there she goes....basically from then on i drove it around our fruit block for fun till i was around 18-19 and moved to melbourne.....since then i get it out every 2-3 years to make sure its still running etc..new oil around 2000 maybe etc

Most recently i got it out last week checked oil...clean as :)...added some fuel and started it .....took heaps of photos and 2 videos which are on you tube (below) took the photos so i have reference if searching for parts etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVRs9bQf7eE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDhJINruvo

Stats on Bike.

75 F11B - in manual it shows UK and US model but from what i can see the AU is in between .....ie us style tacho etc but speedo in km for aus not MPh and afew other things i think......

9300 genuine KM's
[color="Red"]
Surprises[/color]
*still have bike manual in plastic in great condition
*tools for tool kit, just missing 2 of the spanner sizes which are somewhere ..will find most prob....and also need to source the orig plastic pocket sleeve that contained them.....tool box cap is still on bike although a little grazed as the aftermarket kick start touched it when kicked so has gouged a small chanel out :( have purchased another from US

[color="Red"]All original except for:[/color]
* new knobby rear tire (orig rear in shed), will replace with semi road tyre
* new kick start welded onto mount of old one as orig snapped, im sourcing an orig currently to replace this.
* Seat recovered by Uncle who is a car upholster back in 80's....done is a dark blue leather....maybe vinyl

[color="red"]Need to repair (known things)[/color]
*new trip computer knob as is snapped
*rub back and repaint exhaust orig color as dad repainted a heat paint red color back in 70's
* rub back and paint fuel tank / new stickers .....or just buff up orig paint and get new stickers....paint is fine just has afew little scratches etc.....no dints :)
*front brake locks every now and then when you apply it....service it
*new side reflector at fron left needed...- have purchased from US
*rub back and resticker the oil reservoir cover...i got happy with whiteout back in the day :)....will  put on orig sticker etc
* need new airfilter

basically the bike is all fine and runs, everything works (except speedo) my aim is to fix it up to clean orig condition.
im thinking as its done min kms i shouldnt pull engine apart ?

any advice would be great

PS - i do have the baffle for exhaust in the shed..........it seems to be two pieces......one log one around 12" long and a smaller one which i believe slide into this one then the lot slides into exhaust?

I need to get the bike from Mildura to Melbourne so have got quotes from the main 5-6 companies that came up in google search and they correlate to whats recommended on the forum.  Some dont do that route and of those that do there are 2.

Ferguson Motorcycle transport - door to door and full insurance $385
Bikenut - fairly sure door to door incl full insurance is $375
Bike Logistics door to door and basic insurance excess applies, no helmet transport $385

ill get it down to melbourne most prob just after my wedding so around mid march.

Simon
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:51:12 am by JADERD »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Hello From Melbourne (Kawasaki F11B)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:44:29 pm »
Welcome ,,your in the right state of Oz to get plenty of old bike info.Victoria has a far bit of VMX,Vinduro and at easter there more old bike gear up at HBBB...trials,road racing,speedway,vinduro,vmx......

http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=hbbb

cheers west Oz
Best is in the West !!

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:48:01 pm »
Thanks for the information mate

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 04:26:23 pm »
Welcome!

The links to your youtube clips weren't working for me, so I've re-done them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDhJINruvo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVRs9bQf7eE

That's a cool bike mate, once you get it finished you should bring it to a vinduro!

Tex

DR

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:34:37 pm »
Yup cool bike Jaderd, I have an F11 myself 8) it was loosely set up for vintage mx but I'm in 2 minds what to do with it. Probably take it back to standard eventually as I have all the lights and gauges packed away ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 06:57:06 pm »
Best is in the West !!

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:02:40 am »
heres some pics of how the bike currently sits (around 18months ago...covered off ground in shed at moment till i get it)

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/sberton/Kawasaki%20F11B%201975/

you can see the incorrect color painted exhaust by dad back in the 70's, broken speedo knob, dodgy kick start, missing reflectors on side of headlight (have purchased new ones) scratches on tool box lid from dodgy kick start (have purchased new one) Recovered seat happened in late 80's uncle is a motor trimmer so quickly covered it for dad, aftermarket knobby rear, put on by a mates older brother when i was a teen, left over from one of his KTM's from late 90's he used to race.

cheers

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:52:29 am »
Sounds like it's gonna look a treat when you're done. It's actually in quite reasonable condition already.

Hey Doc, don't suppose you have a manual for a KL250 you can post up?

Tex

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 11:12:45 am »
awesome, thanks for the feedback and uploading owners manual, although i actually have one at home still in its original plastic sleeve, i think though that i will have to travel home to find it as i cannot exactly remember where i placed it to tell dad etc....def at home though and safe, keys are safe and hanging in cupboard at home.

yeah its only done 9000km i think, engine runs true just has a little rattle noise if say in 4 gear at low revs and under load then you wind on throttle....i guess its at the time when you would expect a car to ping, the motor rattles a little...sounds like a chain rattling...im a complete noob to motorbike engines so not sure exactly, prob nothing.

just worried re fuel tank as its got fuel sitting in it from 18+ months ago...praying its not rusted out, there has never been leaks in the past so hopefully its fine.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:16:01 am by JADERD »

DR

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 04:47:29 pm »
The tank should be okay if there is fuel still in it. Normally the damage is done when they dry out completely. I always park my steel tanked bikes with a little premix in the tank. Regardless of oil injection and the extra oil in the premix the bikes will fire up and run quite okay if needed ;) That manual was the 1 that came with my mine under the seat also ;)

Tex, I'll try and hunt up a KL manual ;)

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 11:54:56 pm »
Tex, I'll try and hunt up a KL manual

Thanks Doc! Don't go to too much trouble though, it's not urgent.  ;) (Sorry 'bout the thread hijack everyone...)

Tex

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 03:58:18 pm »
Found the key today in with the stuff i had purchased from US about 18 months ago.  I could have sworn the key was in mildura with bike and parents but after they searched heaps to no avail i was stumped....glad i found it today.

will get it sent transported down in the next week. :)

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 08:15:17 am »
Bikes being picked up from parents house in Mildura today and will be in Melb very soon, went with Bike Nut transport in the end...seemed to have best pricing, insurance and allowed two helmets and small shoe box site box of parts included free of charge.

Cheers

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 11:28:59 am »
it arrives today....quick snap my mum took before the transport company picked it up.

looking forward to getting home from work today :)