Author Topic: YZ 80 J. Time to make a start........  (Read 18812 times)

Captain Bilko

Re: YZ 80 J. Time to make a start........
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 09:31:29 pm »
Notice the W/P shocks reservoir line is a little shorter than the stocker? :-[

This is why....... :D

Just gotta take the bottom reservoir support from the frame and put it on swingarm for a little more support.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:43:21 pm by 66M »

montynut

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 10:39:56 pm »
Ross Ross Ross Ross ::) Think of the unsprung weight for God's sake ;D ;D ;D ;D

What are you thinking  ;D

No good can come of this flirtation with another Yamaha ;D

The shock does look good though along with the engine  ;)

Have I used enough little faces ??? ??? ???

Captain Bilko

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 08:46:35 am »
Always the way. After spending a zillion dollars on mine, this one turns up. If you're interested in an 80 this'd be the way to go. Very original (the pipe and muffler's probably worth the asking price!).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200567690885&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

BEARVMX

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 10:39:57 pm »
Bear here ive got a mint front number plate for your yz80j with the mesh on on it, pm me Gaz

Captain Bilko

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 04:14:35 pm »
It's the waiting that I hate.
Waiting on stuff to get here from Speed & Sport  :(
Waiting for the seat base to get back from the plastic welder :(
Waiting for the frame to come back from the metal welder because some knob thought it'd be cool to by-pass the water through the steering head (because they were too dumb to go down to a Yamaha dealer or get on the internet >:(). They cut the piping from the frame off because they're so much cleverer than the Yamaha engineers.... :'(

But the seat foam came back! :). For the last few years I've been tossin' out seat foams because the side of them have been all cracked, falling out and generally looking like shit under the nice new cover.
But for the life of me I couldn't get a replacement seat foam for the 80 J :o
So in a last ditch attempt I took mine to the upholsterer and begged him to cut me a newwie. He said it would cost a packet.......but he could repair the one I have. What!?
Yes they cut the crook stuff out, replace it with good bits and then put a natty little cover over it. It looks very strong and I reckon' it'll hold up under regular use.
Total cost. $27.50 ;D.
I give 'em $30

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:49:45 pm by 66M »

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 06:25:55 pm »

I give 'em $30

Your generosity is only exceeded by your good looks Rossco  ;D
That's bloody good tip though - especially for those hard to get (or odd shaped) foams  8)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Captain Bilko

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 06:55:52 pm »
Your generosity is only exceeded by your good looks Rossco  ;D

Yes I'm known around town as a bit of a philanthropist. Except with kids. I belt them with a big stick that I carry....

jake yz80

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 10:06:12 am »
Always the way. After spending a zillion dollars on mine, this one turns up. If you're interested in an 80 this'd be the way to go. Very original (the pipe and muffler's probably worth the asking price!).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200567690885&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

just bought it and finishe restoring it want to no how that shock is i is it good mine blown the bikes a trapolin thanks

Captain Bilko

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2011, 10:34:28 am »
just bought it and finishe restoring it want to no how that shock is i is it good mine blown the bikes a trapolin thanks

Good on you. That would've been a great buy.
I hope your patient as I'm probably a months off riding this thing. Just bouncing on the shock when I had it all roughly set up felt like it was gunna be in the ball-park. ;)

jake yz80

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2011, 11:06:37 am »

Good on you. That would've been a great buy.
I hope your patient as I'm probably a months off riding this thing. Just bouncing on the shock when I had it all roughly set up felt like it was gunna be in the ball-park. ;)

hows the shock that you bought thinking of buying it

monaro308

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 03:40:50 pm »
Yes I'm known around town as a bit of a philanthropist. Except with kids. I belt them with a big stick that I carry....
[/quote]

You'll be needing that stick again once the 80 is up and running,most kids won't know what an YZ80J is.

Captain Bilko

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 08:14:17 am »
Found out you can still get OEM seat covers (black) through Speed & Sport.

OEM muffler

jake yz80

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2011, 06:31:53 pm »
where u get them from thanks
also what do u think of that shock u got for it thanks

Captain Bilko

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 08:10:15 am »
Almost wore my frosties when I happened upon this on Marks Swap Meet this morning.....

http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=Smrvf7RRjRJWmhcj

Turns out it's for a 60. Damn! There's gotta be 80 J hop-up parts out there somewhere..... :(

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 09:06:46 am »
Doesnt look like a yz60 arm to me, the yz60 arm only has one of them vertical strengthening bars, also the yz60 arm mounts on the outside of the frame, that one looks like it mounts on the inside of the frame like the yz80h and yz80j, get him to give you the measurements ;) i can measure my standard yz60 arm and see if i is anything like it, that would look very trick on your 80j  ;D
60s where also only made from 1981-1983