Author Topic: YZ 80 J. Time to make a start........  (Read 18809 times)

Captain Bilko

YZ 80 J. Time to make a start........
« on: December 19, 2010, 06:04:10 pm »
I've been trippin' over the bloody thing for long enough now so I thought I'd better do something with it.

I couldn't be bothered rooting around with the stock shock when you can get a custom built one from Works Performance shipped to you for about 400 bucks.
Built for 80 kgs with gear on it has duel rate springs (the stock is one single rate one which seems a little weird) and just looks the ducks nuts.

I got these crap plastics for it. Probably the only bits I'll use will be the side-covers and the rear guard. I've cleaned up one of three radiator cowls which hasn't been beaten' up too sevearly and the fuel tank as well.

Baking up an engine in the oven. Nicely nicely..... ;)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: YZ 80 J. Time to make a start........
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 06:10:03 pm »
im glad you have decided to go with the little brother of the infamous widow maker 465 ,hopefully you will b able to keep this bad boy under control and stay outa the ambulance :D :D :D :D :D :D :P
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:13:51 pm by paul »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 06:11:56 pm »
does walter know you have bought that shock ;D  benadickt arnould

Captain Bilko

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 06:43:34 pm »
does walter know you have bought that shock ;D  benadickt arnould

Pot, this kettle. Over.......
Walt doesn't make little mono-shocks like this and I doubt few could do it for this price. Anyway. It's a rider, not a racer. ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:51:20 pm by 66M »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 06:52:29 pm »
im sure he could machine up a   piece of water pipe with a couple off lacker bands to get you going  ;)

Captain Bilko

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 07:04:25 pm »
 :D :D :D

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 07:16:21 pm »
Plastics no good Rossco.  I will have to use them for my 80H as well  :-\ - those rear guards NOS are like fricken hens teeth.  Side cover - forget it  :'(
Can't wait to see it finished.  Shock looks excellent and pretty good value too.  Keep up the photos - rebuilds are always the most interesting posts IMHO.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 07:27:59 pm »
As much as I love mini bikes, especially xr 75's, twin shock cr80's and kx 80's, even all the yz80's up till a K anyway. I always stop short of buying one as the reality of getting limited use out of it and when the money can go towards a resto that is waiting inline. Long ago back in the eighties I collected xr75 stuff but let it go long ago. I take it you had one back in the day? I had to step up to a 12nothing that year. the 'H' was the bike with the most memories for me. Yammies were the bike to have.

Captain Bilko

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 07:57:01 pm »
No I didn't have an 80 J. I had a brand new KX 80 D2 that year. As I said in another post I was so happy with my green single shocked bike untill my first race on it that year. Out of about 25 bikes on the start line, 23 of them would have been Yamaha's. As much as the KX was fairly 'new', the J's were a different thing again. I don't know if it was mainly pschyc but with the water-cooling, safety seat and that trick looking front plate, they just blew me away and my year was shot from the start. They just seemed to handle really well and the KX didn't wanna do anything right. The only thing green in my camp was the envy.....
In retrospect the KX would probably be the bike to have hung onto as far as being 'collectable' but like my attachment to the 414 22 years after owning one, I had the same thing with these little rockets.

It's great that people have done up all those XR 75's but it'd be good to see some eighties from the era about as well. They're all part of Aussie motocross history and many careers were started on these types of machines. Technology had been going ahead in leaps and bounds in the little bikes as well by then.

How about instead of the endless procession of Maico 490's, (wanna be) HL yama's and KX 500's we see around here we get a few more 'tiddlers' out there..... :-\

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 08:20:56 pm by 66M »

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »
Have you tried Yamaha for some plastics...I know their still avaliable for bigger 'j" models.

Captain Bilko

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 09:24:15 pm »
The only thing I could get off them was a couple of 80 J front guards (with the recess for the cooling at the bottom of the head-stem).
One of the biggest problems is trying to get the seals that go in the steering for the watercooling. Can't seem to get them anywhere and no one seems to make an aftermarket one... :-\

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 09:54:27 am »

How about instead of the endless procession of Maico 490's, (wanna be) HL yama's and KX 500's we see around here we get a few more 'tiddlers' out there..... :-\

I've got a couple of tiddlers on the go that should keep you happy Rossco.  I'll post some piccies when I get a chance.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 08:28:41 pm »
The top seal still can be had from Yamaha in the US but the bottom ones NLA if its anything like the one on my 125 it's a weird inside out looking thing.

Captain Bilko

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 11:38:57 am »
Can anyone give me an idea of the frame/swingarm colours? Just roughly. I don't want codes or anything like that. The frame seems to be a sort of gloss black and the swingarm silver. Am I about right? :-\

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 04:38:46 pm »
Frame is gloss black and swing arm is wheel sliver yz250h had a good match I think it was gm wheel sliver?

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=10788.0