Author Topic: ts400  (Read 13556 times)

DR

Re: ts400
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 01:50:53 am »
but i have the twin down tube frame
Bingo!

Shane if that's the case then you have a '76 A model.  Only the '76/'77 A and B models had the twin downtube frame ;) Should also have alloy rims stock which is a bonus.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:53:14 am by Doc »

Offline noisy toy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 06:03:48 pm »
Ah yes, thanks Doc. That looks like an orange version of mine.(silver) It has the funny looking spark arrestor thingy at the end. I will check out Dean at bits for bikes here in Cairns, he has some old down pipes hanging in the loft that might do the trick.
Thanks Lozza, I spoke to Steve Rothwell today, very interesting bloke. Didnt speak very highly of you though, said something about w anker...... ;D        I will be calling by his place later in the week to say hi, and to talk about you some more.
I will see if the TM tank fits, and try to find a good piston. My bore is good but the piston has some funny marks on the top,maybe it got lean at some point. Yep i think i will go TM. Did they make a 76 TM with twin down tube, or were they RM by then? It may be similar to the RM 370 frame i have.
If my TS  IS a 76 A model should it have a compliance plate?

DR

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 08:10:25 pm »
they never made a '76 TM400 and the TS/TM400 engine won't fit into an RM370 frame as the cases are way way longer, too big for the RM cradle. Even though it is '76 it is still pre'75 eligible as it's classed as a flow on model , though it sports a different frame it's pretty much unchanged from previous years so it's all go as it sits..just refine it is all ;)  alloy rims?

TM BILL

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 08:36:03 pm »
they never made a '76 TM400 and the TS/TM400 engine won't fit into an RM370 frame as the cases are way way longer, too big for the RM cradle. Even though it is '76 it is still pre'75 eligible as it's classed as a flow on model , though it sports a different frame it's pretty much unchanged from previous years so it's all go as it sits..just refine it is all ;)  alloy rims?

Doc are you sure 76 model ts is pre 75 legal  ??? I thought the book says TS models cut off at L model ? or is that just the smaller models through to 250cc  ???

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 08:53:23 pm »
18.7.5.1   acceptable for pre -75 class are machines built up to and including the 74 model . The only exception to GCR
is where the model remains unaltered after this date.

suzuki    TM 125 , 250 ,400  k,L,R
            TS 185 , TS 250 , TS 125  TS 100   J,K,L and R models 

firko

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 10:05:59 pm »
'75 Suzuki TM or 75/76 TS isn't legal for pre '75 although I think most scrutineers might turn a blind eye as long as the TM rear suspension is restricted. I doubt the twin downtube frame would pass muster at a title meet though.

Offline noisy toy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:03 pm »
Hey OLDFART, sorry but i have my dumb head on tonight. Does that mean it IS eligible for pre-75 or no?
It does have a double downtube frame, but i still cant find any written info that confirms the month/year of my bike. I will go to Wayne Leonards tomorrow and see if they can print something going by the frame number. When did they come with the vin plate ?

DR

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 10:14:04 pm »
When I checked 6-ish years ago (when I built mine) I asked the same question cause I never realized there was a centre port TS400. The answer that came back then from the powers that be was..yes it is legal. When the '07 nats were on and Stew (for some insane unknown possibly ungodly reason :P) chose to ride the TS400 again I pondered and asked and again it was deemed legal. I don't wish to cause any more of this legality shit but eh, an email is all it takes. I'm over it ;)  

Offline noisy toy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 10:23:37 pm »
Thanks Doc. Who would i email to ask the question? I may not get to many big meets with it anyway, Cairns is a long way from most races but the Townsville club is gaining momentum so you never know. The Whitsunday classic might be the go if it is ready, does anyone know dates for that?

firko

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 10:27:51 pm »
If that's the case Doc, so be it but if you go by the bible it's not kosher......personally, I don't give a shit. The more the merrier.
noisy toy....PM ' Kawasaki211' via this forum. He's the MA head rule honcho and a Suzuki expert so he should give you the good oil.

Offline noisy toy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 10:38:25 pm »
Thanks firko, i will get on to him tomorrow. But i would rather go by the proper rules anyway, i would rather not cause any waves and rules is rules for a reason! Still be fun but, I am not serious about titles or anything, just wanna go for a blast. I might finish the PE250C for vinduro first, its a bit closer. Its a 78 so would that be eligible for pre 80 or something?  ???

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 11:23:31 pm »
Townsville club is gaining momentum so you never know. The Whitsunday classic might be the go if it is ready, does anyone know dates for that?

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=10196.30
Keep us informed with the Townsville Club (vmx) !
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

DR

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 07:29:31 am »
Mark, as I stated I really am over all this illegality/legality bullshit surrounding old bikes, I build my bikes to suit my ideals and really don't care for the racing side of things ;) I'm not being smart and no offence but when I asked back in '06  both you and Dave Tanner said it was fine and dandy ::) Double checked again for the Nats for Stew, noooo problems we were told so we entered it :-\ I keep every email of importance and I have all from this era but these were Pm's from the old ozvmx site which are now gone except for the message notifications. I emailed and asked because at the time I thought I'd wasted my money on a heap of shit that I couldn't ride and couldn't afford to waste money on. Never had 1 person mention the legality issue before but regardless if it's not legal then it's not..it doesn't really matter to me ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:25:49 pm by Doc »

Offline noisy toy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 08:19:13 am »
Can you still run the bike in a race if it is not technically legal for the class? I too am not worried about points or trophies n stuff, just go for a fang! :)

DR

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 01:21:15 pm »
So long as the powers that be say it is okay on the day then yes you can it flog it around Shane. I'm not going to argue the point at a titles level but it would look pretty out of place lined up against RM370's and Pursangs and such thrown in with the pre'78 but eh, that's just my veiw.

Not wanting to give wrong info but I was definately told it was a 'flow on' otherwise I'd never have built it how I did. Infact, I probably wouldn't have built it at all because pre'75 was the objective and I'd unwittingly bought a '76 ;) as a matter of interest the frames whilst a twin downtube design do still have the same geometry and suspension travel/setup as the early models. This frame and the matching centre port cylinder and pipe are the only difference.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:27:22 pm by Doc »