Author Topic: ts400  (Read 13546 times)

firko

Re: ts400
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 01:50:06 pm »
Doc...I recall that exchange and still have no problem with your bike....never did really ;). The situation here is a bit different I believe, the twin downtube centre port thing makes it a very different bike to a '74 model, even if the changes make SFA difference to the performance and handling . Like I said,  we need as many pre '75's out there as possible so it's probably time to open up the pre '75 flow on eligibility requirements  a little but...as it stands right now it's pre '75 racing and the bottom line for the flow on legality of a bike is that it be as close as buggery to the legitimate pre 75 version. Like you, I wasn't aware of the twin downtube/centre port TS400 (essentially because it's outside my main area of interest) so I'd be interested in DT's opinion as well. There are always those who believe it should be pre 75 only with no flow ons and there are others who believe the flow on list should be enlarged to absorb bikes that are pre '75 in concept but suffer from being born too late.
There are a lot of anomolies and dubious listings in the rulebook that really need to be addressed . Perhaps it's time for MA to form a committee to oversee upgrades in the eligibility requirements and to rewrite badly worded sections that are confusing and can be taken a number of ways. This Suzuki situation is only one of a growing number of examples.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2010, 02:18:18 pm »
Not like he cant ride it is it ?
Doc just has to ride it pre 78, simple really.  and easy as if he just wants a ride.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

oldfart

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2010, 05:01:23 pm »
Shane.... it's not real clear ole mate .
There is no mention of a TS 400       Just    Tm 125 - 250 -400    k =  1973   L = 1974    R =  ????
                                                            TS 185 - 125  100 -250   J= 1972 - K - L - R

As with Doc's post , he was given the green light back 2007 and I  rode his 76 TS 400  model in pre 75 races as it was classed as a flow on model.
We must remember this discussion is about Ts 400 and not Tm 250 . As the Tm 250 1975  is not classified as a flow on model  ::)

TM BILL

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2010, 06:43:11 pm »
Semi thread hijack  ::)

So is my 76 TS 185 a flow on  ;D you know the factory bike  ;)

Doc im still running your TS tank on it  ;D i borrowed it for CD 7  :-[ PM if you want to sell it or if you need it Bill  :)

DR

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2010, 07:46:14 pm »
Freaky I don't even want to ride it! :D I wanted one because Roger was my hero and I felt I needed something that looked like his bike, albeit from a distance of about 15 miles! It was more a budget project for the purpose of showing it could be done well under a grand ;) I built it but after the maiden voyage I decided it was definately not my sort of thing ::) (the fact that it weighs 3 times more than me makes it a bit of a handful..and that's just wheeling it around in the garage!) I have no probs at all if it isn't legal it's just I was always under the impression it was otherwise hence I commented.

Bill :D the '76 185, kind of like a '71 TS125 with a '76 engine..I know nothing! ;D actually wouldn't mind getting that tank back sometime as it was one of my better ones :P I have a 125 tank you could have but a ding on 1 side doesn't make it the most attractive :-\

TM BILL

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2010, 08:05:51 pm »
Doc no worries , its on the bike at Tateys ill get him to drop it off  :) Doc your 400 is super cool , it is much more a pre 75 bike than a pre 78  ::) What you acheived with that bike on a budget is a testament to the spirit of what were about  :)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2010, 10:30:11 pm »
Thanks Lozza, I spoke to Steve Rothwell today, very interesting bloke. Didnt speak very highly of you though, said something about w anker...... ;D        I will be calling by his place later in the week to say hi, and to talk about you some more.

You obviously didn't kick him in the shins like I asked. Geez be a short conversation though..................................
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 01:26:15 am »
Ahh  yes, who could forget the dance of the mighty TS with stew on board.. well mostly  ;D

The Nats and Doc was doing rather bloody well. Some towtruck driver from UNZUD was also circulating in the pack and not too bad. That young bloke from coffs has a way with bikes and he made his beautiful TM metisse owning mentor proud. The institute, also on a mighty TS, made a good show before a minor hiccup with a few head studs and kindly donated his lethal brew of eleven secret herbs and spices , special sauce and a sesame seed bun  to the mighty TS. the rest was the best laugh of the weekend, cept for stew. Was only a few ribs mate and good to see it made you stronger.

As to legality of a TS400 in pre 75 well.. its big, its fookin heavy. Handles like a fat walrus going through a sex change and has just got the steroids.

Competative you ask? Naa not really but it can hold its own if your game enough to crank it open and hold it (waves to stew) .
 I dont think the puritans of the sport have anything to be at all concerned with as to a TS400 being a podium contender and causing havoc with the purpose built MX bikes.
 Id let it through scrutineering even if it was a monoshock . Too fat, too flexy and too heavy... but dont they have shite loads of power when open (waves to stew again)

Its not like anything we do in VMX is going to effect sales of current brand name products
Ride your bike mate and race it if you want, thats what its all about.

And Bill i still wouldnt mind the 185.. Good home gauranteed to get flogged the shyte out of ;D

211kawasaki

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2010, 08:41:47 am »
your all thinking too much ;)

DR

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2010, 09:48:38 am »
I tried to tell them to stop 211! but nooooo..it's bloody terrible!! been though it all before..the medication helps but I still have the mental scaring ::) then again, I probably had that already :) 9 o'clock..I gotta go! Therapy time ;)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 01:37:48 pm »
 TS400 Real weirdos would love to have one as a road registered bike ;) Cheers Tim754                                    yes I would! :D
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline noisy toy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2010, 03:42:18 pm »
OK I just got a frame listing number sheet from the suzuki dealer. It lists frame no TS4003-10260 as a 1974 ts 400L. TS4003-10001 up to TS4003-15955 is 74 L  model,                                                    then from TS4003-15956 up to TS4003-25253 is a 75 ts400M model. Unfortunately the parts fische is missing so he couldnt have a look at the frame downtubes for the different models, or when the twin-downtube one started. Maybe mine is a bodgy one!  :o Crap i hope not. I am not worried about classes and such, just thought everyone might find it interesting. Does anyone have a parts book to see? I looked at Alpha sport but it shows all of them as single tube, even thought part #  were different. May be generic pic. I will try to scan and attach the sheet i got otherwise i can e-mail it to someone who can?
Either way I will ride the old dung barge, as soon as i can find a reasonable std size piston. ???
ps  I have just scanned but dont know how to attach. Can i email it to someone?

DR

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2010, 06:05:54 pm »
On double checking here the numbers do appear to be for the '74 400L but the twin downtube came into place in 1975 with the M :-\ ..I'm at a loss sorry ??? for mine twin downtube denotes '75 and later..single downtube stopped with the '74 L.

But wait, upon looking at these pics the '74 also has the twin downtube. No contest chaps..it appears the '75, '76 and the '77 TS400's are indeed genuine flow-on models and 100% legal ;D I learnt something too!!

1974 TS400L

1975 TS400M
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:19:10 pm by Doc »

firko

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2010, 06:25:21 pm »
I wonder what the reasoning was behind what must have been a major re tool for a bike that by 1974 was past its sales golden years and earmarked for replacement within a few years anyway. The TM version was almost history so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You can bet that the PE and DR were already on the drawing board.  It just goes to show that there's always something new around the corner.  ???

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2010, 08:13:30 pm »
And to confirm, I have a copy of Cycle Mag Oct 74 test of TS400L - clearly double downtube frame model