Author Topic: 4 stroke class, weapon of choice?  (Read 37038 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 4 stroke class, weapon of choice?
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2010, 12:04:48 pm »
yes you could or you could build something as clean as the KLX XR we mentioned already. I mean the great thing about 4 stroke specials is the path to greatness is really only limited by your ability to fabricate engine mounts.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2010, 12:07:07 pm »
Or Firko go the other way and kick out the BSA engine and whack in a Honda, makes far more sense
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2010, 12:08:51 pm »
OR get the Husky roller I have and pop a Honda in it.....

formerly Marc.com

Offline brebel

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2010, 01:04:07 pm »
Even though I earlier showed preference for the trusty TT600, I reckon the ATK 560/605 would have to be a good thing. The Rotax engine is an all time classic race engine that's still winning dirt track races over newer Japanese time bombs in the USA.

Yes I agree, the Rotax is a classic ,why? because I am impressed with its power delivery- it revs like an engine half its size, is well engineered and easy to work on, has roller bearings throughout and the belt driven cam is a gem. 
If there is an enduro or vmx meeting in NSW coming up please let me know, I am keen to test her out.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2010, 03:36:11 pm »
I was quite impressed by the 300cc+ KLX powered RM125C that was as CD7. I didn't see it in action, but the owner reckons it hammers.

Apparently a fair bit lighter and better handling than a stock KLX - certainly a lot nicer to look at.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Bioflex

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2010, 04:59:27 pm »
MarcFX, how much do you want for the Husky roller?
Feel free to Pm me if you would prefer, also why do you suggest a Honda motor, are the mounts modified to fit a Honda?

I didn't realise all of these Frankenstiens were legal, I assume it all has to be pre 85?

The ATK looks like an awesome tool, the later models seem to pop up on U.S ebay but haven't seen an 83/84 model come up yet.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2010, 05:50:31 pm »
MarcFX, how much do you want for the Husky roller?
Feel free to Pm me if you would prefer, also why do you suggest a Honda motor, are the mounts modified to fit a Honda?

thanks for the offer but I will keep the Husky mate, I have plans for it but it may not include an XR500 engine.

formerly Marc.com

DP

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2010, 01:26:44 pm »
Firko
The ATK560 is a cool bike ,I had a 1985 560 & still have a 84 560 that has been taken out to 614cc.
They handle good although a little top heavy. The rear end works real well although the disc brake on the sprocket use to heat up quickly so the rear drum is the way to go,(it saves a few questions about being legal for VMX as well )

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2010, 01:58:05 pm »
Old school build HL rep may even get you pre 78 class dominance, lot of people like the early HL look with shorter suspension travel. I likem tall like block of flats myself.

formerly Marc.com

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2010, 06:46:04 pm »
There's always the good old xt550

This is a good website for old thumpers

http://www.thumperpilot.com/thumpers.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:48:51 pm by evo550 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2010, 06:59:06 pm »

This is a good website for old thumpers

http://www.thumperpilot.com/thumpers.html

:P    ...speaker on while brousing the above photos..Its a Honda or CCM running ???????????
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Captain Bilko

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2010, 07:39:28 pm »
Old school build HL rep may even get you pre 78 class dominance
Why?
I can't see how a four stroke trail bike with a bit longer suspension is gunna flog purpose built motocross machinery of the day ???

* Unless of course you throw about twenty grand at the thing to get it going a bit better and maybe not handle like a Hippo on a roller-skate but even then it's gunna struggle against a two-banger with a dust choked air-cleaner and seized suspension...... :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:49:18 pm by 66M »

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2010, 10:08:29 pm »
I think for VMX at less than Aussie Championship level it's all about the rider. If you like the HL and you can ride, you'll beat any number of guys on pure MX bikes. I can say that having watched a fast 18 year old flog an entire HEAVEN field riding a shitbox XL500 around Mt Kembla. So if an HL floats your boat, build it and race it. Who the Hell cares if it's really not as good as a Maico 490?

DR

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2010, 09:33:36 am »
Speaking of fast younger blokes on vintage trail bikes, I and many others witnessed an XL500 '81ish silver tank job, that outwardly' didn't appear overly modified from standard, whip a KX500 and a host of 2 stroke race bikes on the dirt track :o Believe me the guy on the KX wasn't slow either it's just the bloke (Beau) on the XL was faster ;)

http://au.video.yahoo.com/watch/8660572/23459062
Beau and the Burmonster Coffs Classic 08

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:51:31 am by Doc »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2010, 10:13:18 pm »
I think for VMX at less than Aussie Championship level it's all about the rider. If you like the HL and you can ride, you'll beat any number of guys on pure MX bikes. I can say that having watched a fast 18 year old flog an entire HEAVEN field riding a shitbox XL500 around Mt Kembla. So if an HL floats your boat, build it and race it. Who the Hell cares if it's really not as good as a Maico 490?

What are you doing? Bringing sense to the internets!? This is not how it is supposed to work!

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.