Author Topic: 4 stroke class, weapon of choice?  (Read 37036 times)

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 4 stroke class, weapon of choice?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 02:18:53 pm »
How stupid does that HL look?  They all look like they've been squashed from either end and they've popped upwards a few inches to compensate.

I saw that CCM on ebay uk.. that thing is definitely mint.  Wish I had the bucks.

firko

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 03:12:24 pm »
Even though I earlier showed preference for the trusty TT600, I reckon the ATK 560/605 would have to be a good thing. The Rotax engine is an all time classic race engine that's still winning dirt track races over newer Japanese time bombs in the USA.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:14:00 pm by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 03:35:50 pm »
too true Firko and you can swap gas tank with your TT if you need to. I really like the ATK
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 04:43:45 pm »
too true Firko and you can swap gas tank with your TT if you need to. I really like the ATK
And best of all you get all of the cool hot rod acessories in the one package. C&J frame, Whitepower suspension, Brembo brakes and all sorts of great nic nacs you'd spend months searching eBay for if you were building a special*.

* As we are for a fellow Klub Kevlar member. We're currently assembling the components to build a Honda XL500S powered KLX Kawasaki. It's to be an extremely lowbuck affair using a Nathan procured KLX frame, another mates cast off IT490 Yamaha forks and front wheel, the engine and rear wheel from the XL500s basket case donor bike, shortened 83 Husky Ohlins ITC shocks and all sorts of other project leftovers. I reckon it'll come in under 2k. By coincidence another KK good 'ol boy, Yamaico is building a similar project, also with a 2k budget in mind. You'll all remember his step by step 465 Yamaha flat tracker build from last year on this forum so you know the quality he achieves in his el cheapo builds.

As I've said numerous times in the past, building specials need not be an expensive operation as you aren't limited by a particular game plan. You can make it up as you go, the only limits being the rulebook,your imagination and ability to find bargain components 8).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 04:46:56 pm by firko »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2010, 05:13:03 pm »
I allways was interested in these

Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

dave

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2010, 05:19:23 pm »
Honda XL500S powered KLX Kawasaki
sounds like a fun bike! Very interested to see what it come out like, always thought the XL500 donk went well

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 06:09:14 pm »
rm370 with XL350 big bore was popular back in the day
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 06:21:13 pm »
sounds like a fun bike! Very interested to see what it come out like, always thought the XL500 donk went well

Mark Meadows went in this direction bike went like hell and looked great/
formerly Marc.com

Captain Bilko

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »
I just luv waving to those guys on those HL thingy things when I pass them....... Wizard!
How stupid does that HL look?  They all look like they've been squashed from either end and they've popped upwards a few inches to compensate.

(and yes they do look strange Neile! :D)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:27:20 pm by 66M »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 06:54:39 pm »

Mark Meadows went in this direction bike went like hell and looked great/
That bike of Meadows was awesome and very fast.. Roy Gay had it for a while til it put a rod through the cases at Conondale a couple of years back. Don't know where it ended up after that.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2010, 09:58:31 pm »

That bike of Meadows was awesome and very fast.. Roy Gay had it for a while til it put a rod through the cases at Conondale a couple of years back. Don't know where it ended up after that.
[/quote]

Hopefully it is still alive or someone wants to sell it to me as part of my Meadows collection.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2010, 10:00:27 pm »
Heres Erics take on the battery box and air cleaner.... its nice and tidy

formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010, 11:36:13 pm »
Roy still owns Cocky Meadows old KLX Honda. He had it at the Nepean Magoo Dirt Track in August but was still having problems getting the tuneup right. He rode it on the Saturday but he and the bike were no shows on Sunday.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2010, 02:26:47 am »
I havn't got a picture handy, of course XR motor will also go into twin shock CR frame.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2010, 10:44:56 am »
the B50 motor is not a bad thing, it is compact and not heavy, then after you replace the gearbox, barrel, rod, piston, cam and clutch they can make 50 hp and really hold together. Bit like modifying a Harley really. There is a conversion to fit a Ducati desmo head to B50 bottom end for the best of both worlds
After you've spent a squillion on your Beeza you can then fit it into the '82 Maico that had previously donated its reed 490 engine for your Frankenstein project and Voila.........you've got the perfect pre 85 4 stroke motocrosser ::)