Author Topic: 4 stroke class, weapon of choice?  (Read 37033 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: 4 stroke class, weapon of choice?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 06:56:02 pm »
The big Rotax KTM's are not that common , the first disk brakes were not better than good twin leading shoe drum brakes at the time. Haveing not ridden a CJ XR 500 I would still think the Husky being lighter then KTM would be best. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 07:49:57 pm »
well for pre 78 building a RM370 with a TT500 motor in it something different to HL/HUSKY/MAICO frames dont know if it will work or not

Been done a few times but good thought, TT500 motor fits N/T frame like a cock in a sock, looks better than HL almost.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 07:52:06 pm »
if money was no object and you still believe the sun hasn't set on the empire ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 07:53:52 pm »
well for pre 78 building a RM370 with a TT500 motor in it something different to HL/HUSKY/MAICO frames dont know if it will work or not

I'm told by an old time rider that a bike like this was built in Alice Springs in the late 70's.
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 08:19:40 pm »
did it look anything like this ..... sweet, frames are cheap and piece of cake to build/

plus it avoids the plague of 4 stroke specials.... f&%k ugly side covers

formerly Marc.com

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 08:50:58 pm »
From what he said it still had the alloy RM370 tank.

He had no idea what they did about an oil tank tho
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 09:53:04 pm »

I'm told by an old time rider that a bike like this was built in Alice Springs in the late 70's.

is it the one that ran in the Finke--its on here somewhere ??
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 11:27:51 pm »
If you've got a spare $30K, you can get a new one built for yourself.  This is why you don't see them anywhere!

There is one for sale in the UK at the moment.  It's a chuffing bargain.  There is no way you could build a bike of that quality for the money.  No question the starting bid isnt a give away, but if you have ever put together a high spec bike then you'll understand the time, effort and of course money that is required to 'do it right'.

It's original owner is the most meticulous I know.  Everything correct and in it's place.  When running, the noise was like a modern bike.  Magnificent.

Riding one of that quality some how gives you an unfair advantage......

Wouldnt mind having it in my garage!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 08:18:41 am »

maybe against another old Pommy clanker, but lets face it CCM didn't have a pile of world titles in its day and sort of just had a novelty factor that it was the last gasp of B50. I would also question the modern CCM reps as they are in the same league as Manx Norton reps where modern production and materials makes them run harder than  they never did in the day.
formerly Marc.com

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 09:15:45 am »
From what he said it still had the alloy RM370 tank.

He had no idea what they did about an oil tank tho
i have fitted the oil tank under the seat,running a pod filter,using all rm370 tank,plastics.rebuilding the motor at the moment mild one -wossener hi comp piston 076 waggot cam 38mm mikuni.custom tranzac pipe

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 09:57:00 am »

maybe against another old Pommy clanker, but lets face it CCM didn't have a pile of world titles in its day and sort of just had a novelty factor that it was the last gasp of B50. I would also question the modern CCM reps as they are in the same league as Manx Norton reps where modern production and materials makes them run harder than  they never did in the day.

You guessed right.  Should the desire take you, you can really get a unit BSA motor going very very fast....

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 10:09:01 am »
Pretty much any 4 stroke engine can be made to haul arse.....all is required is a black Amex card ;)....the technology available today is quite amazing and nothing beats the sound of a well tuned engine.......tell me, who doesnt get a horn on when they hear a Ducati V-twin go by....arh-la 916/996/998......I'm sure Ducati start with an exhaust system note and build an engine around it.......where as some companies start with an oil leak and build an engine around it.....eg...anything British, any Ford engine...... ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 10:41:21 am »
Pretty much any 4 stroke engine can be made to haul arse.....all is required is a black Amex card ;)....

the B50 motor is not a bad thing, it is compact and not heavy, then after you replace the gearbox, barrel, rod, piston, cam and clutch they can make 50 hp and really hold together. Bit like modifying a Harley really.

there is a conversion to fit a Ducati desmo head to B50 bottom end for the best of both worlds
formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 11:26:32 am »
Now Marc I let the Bezza with the fugly upside down forks slide  ::) But please dont ever mention BSA and those shit Yank tractors in the same sentence again  ;) Im off for a lie down now  :)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 02:14:57 pm »
Well back to the story, I think TT500 motor in RM frame needs to be explored more. We dropped one in old PE frame we had about and it fitted sweet, build an oil tank and bolt the suspension of your choice on and you are there.

Looks a lot better than some of the appalling XL350 powered KLXs and stuff. Or why not YZ XL

formerly Marc.com