Author Topic: EVO class  (Read 19626 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: EVO class
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2010, 11:29:18 pm »
GMC
I think the main difference between the "H" and "J" forks is the external compression damping adjustment fitted to the '82 forks.......and the fact they came from a bike with linkage suspension. ;)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2010, 07:41:53 am »
An observation about some of the things said re HL500s and 480s in RZ frames etc. The significant difference is that back in the day, you could have bought an HL frame kit and built it in largely Pre 78 form, but at a later date upgraded the suspension as things moved forward. If you were sufficiently attached to the bike, it could evolve along with the rest of the world. To me, that fits the spirit of 'Evolution'. On the other hand, in 1980, no-one was fitting an 82 engine in a 79 frame, and by 82/83 I doubt anyone would have been retro fitting a current engine into a twin shock chassis. Rather, they'd have tried to make the single shock chassis work. So to do that engine swap is not 'Evolution'.

All Things 414

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2010, 08:46:13 am »
On the other hand, in 1980, no-one was fitting an 82 engine in a 79 frame, and by 82/83 I doubt anyone would have been retro fitting a current engine into a twin shock chassis. Rather, they'd have tried to make the single shock chassis work. So to do that engine swap is not 'Evolution'.

Well put I reckon'... ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2010, 09:15:31 am »
On the other hand, in 1980, no-one was fitting an 82 engine in a 79 frame, and by 82/83 I doubt anyone would have been retro fitting a current engine into a twin shock chassis. Rather, they'd have tried to make the single shock chassis work. So to do that engine swap is not 'Evolution'.

Well put I reckon'... ;)

Graeme has hit the nail on the head. If you were sitting in your garage in 1977 or 79 could you have built it?, if not then it doesn't fit the class and you move up one.

Otherwise we end up like the Euro twin shocks with a bunch of Pre 85 open bikes being cut up to build twin shockers. .

formerly Marc.com

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2010, 09:35:49 am »
but a long way removed from the god awfull gangly creations people pass off as replicas these days  ::) replicas of what  ??? a school kids mechano project  :D

Not only do they look awfull but I think the riders are due some credit as I'm buggered if I know how anyone could get one around a corner without killing themselves! :P

Yep, they don't go round corners fast at all, but the bloody things usually have huge horsepower so you get hosed off down the straights & up hills.

HL replicas are the giraffes of motorbikes.   ;D

Still reckon you can't go past a Maico 490 for looks.   8)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2010, 09:47:08 am »
An observation about some of the things said re HL500s and 480s in RZ frames etc. The significant difference is that back in the day, you could have bought an HL frame kit and built it in largely Pre 78 form, but at a later date upgraded the suspension as things moved forward. If you were sufficiently attached to the bike, it could evolve along with the rest of the world. To me, that fits the spirit of 'Evolution'. On the other hand, in 1980, no-one was fitting an 82 engine in a 79 frame, and by 82/83 I doubt anyone would have been retro fitting a current engine into a twin shock chassis. Rather, they'd have tried to make the single shock chassis work. So to do that engine swap is not 'Evolution'.

Yes well said Graeme. There shouln't be a issue with any HL's built today using later than pre 78 running gear. The original HL as featured in MXA march 77 had Marzoochis and Bilstiens for around 9" travel fr &rr and a modded Husky frame .I don't know alot about HL's but going by the pics by the time it was a complete fabricated frame and raced By Aberg in 77 it had Ohlins and Cerianis of works Yamaha forks with alot more ravel than the original.Also there were different frame kits made in different countries  with different running gear .The Profab framed bikes that Johnson and Liechen raced in the 4 stroke Nats had a full 12" and 43 mm forks. So a guy building a HL today just needs to choose which class he s building it for .Like Goeff is .No Problem

firko

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2010, 10:12:23 am »
Below is a shot of the original HL 1977 prototype and the Swedish team responsible for it, Bengt Aberg in helmet. Note much lower 9" travel and more sensible stance. The photo's not clear but this bike may be the modified Husky framed original bike. GMC may have more insight into the bike in the photo.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2010, 10:18:56 am »
yes that is the original Husky framed HL  bilstiens an marzoochis . picture would be in northerm hem. winter 76/77 . this picture is on the first page (59) of the motoxaction mag feature.

Offline Hotelmoto

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2010, 10:20:33 am »
I race EVO in Viper and I love it, and this is what I think.

Just say back in 79 there were no RM or YZ400's, would we be putting RM465-500 air cooled's in 79 RM250 frames or a YZ490 air cooled in a 79 YZ250 frame be a nice EVO weapon, or would we be happy racing 250's ? Why is service honda putting a 2T CR500 engine in a aluminum frame "CR500AF",
because Honda didn't. My point CR450RZ the production bike Honda should have built. They look the good's, and LOOK's isn't that the reason we spend 10G on a reno. I don't mind HL's either.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2010, 10:22:24 am »
I agree with your point Firko that an actual 'Aberg Rep' would be a Pre 78 bike with the shorter travel. But the fact is that the ProFab frames in particular were used till much later with all sorts of mods to keep them competitive. I think some guys do go berserk and make the things look pretty gangly, and maybe even silly. But this bike looks the goods to me:

Still, this is starting to go off-topic, so I'll leave you guys to get back to arguing about what is Evo...
 ;D ;D

firko

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2010, 10:27:12 am »
Below: The Profab framed HL showing 9" travel and lower stance.

Not differences to Gary Benns ex UK Yamaha works bike (below)that's been fitted with OW forks and works Ohlins suspension. This seems to be the bike that the "stepladder" HL fans and builders mistakenly hold as an example of how they all were.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2010, 10:37:27 am »
I think Gary Benn's bike is much too tall in the rear.. I like the #17 Rick Johnson bike, it's about on the limit for height.
The ridiculously tall ones getting around here would be bottoming the shocks with the tyre 3" from the rear guard.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2010, 10:46:56 am »
   That first aberg is the the bike i modeled my xt 500 off back in 77',and raced in open moto a few times ,pipe, guard extension etc bog standard shocks,it was a hoot for the holeshot and about half a lap,a far cry from what their running today,the pro-fab bike looks right to me :)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2010, 11:04:12 am »
Here is another with Fox Airs and aftermarket works type KYB's. I agree with the others about the modern replicas. I would like to see someone build one that looks like some of the few above with period suspension and not so high.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:53:51 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2010, 11:23:20 am »
I think Gary Benn's bike is much too tall in the rear.. I like the #17 Rick Johnson bike, it's about on the limit for height.
The ridiculously tall ones getting around here would be bottoming the shocks with the tyre 3" from the rear guard.

Agree for sure but that could be said about alot of bikes,not just HL's, that have mix and matched forks,shocks and swingarms.