Author Topic: EVO class  (Read 19618 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
EVO class
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:04:24 pm »
Gents - just after some info - not trying to shit stir (this time!).  Am I correct in thinking EVO class is basically post 78 pre 85 but as stated no linkage, no water cooled, no disc brakes.  Which for Honda would mean up to and including the 80 model CR250R but for some of the European brands goes later?

ta
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

suzuki43

Re: EVO class
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:17:41 pm »
Talk about dumb,even I know this answer!!

yes mate Evo is non linkage non watercooled DUH!!

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:32:13 pm »
EVO is not defined by date nor age of the machine. If a Chinese factory was to copy (maico 490, for example) and sell it as a 2010 model, it is EVO legal. In my personal opinion, herein lies the problem with EVO
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 03:04:18 pm »
So Bahnsy you are saying that a dutch twin shock ( cr480 for example) would be legal then?
Which is certainly not the case. And that is because common sense and fair play are to be factored in which seem to be left out of most discussions on the internet. Pushing a 2010 model up to scruitineering at an actual vmx meeting would see it being put back on the trailer. A cr480 modified to twin shock would be able to run where it belongs in pre 85.
Not knowing all the models, but there is a Husky(as late as 84) and a Monty that are later models allowed in.
I think the real reason its called evo instead of pre 80 or pre 81 or pre 82 is because the cut off of this era obviously wants to encompass all bikes with two shocks, be air cooled and have drum brakes. Discs, water cooling and single shocks were not at a single year, they were all over the place. For me the perfect name for the class.  Pre 85 takes bikes with one or all of the later upgrades.
The way I see it, evo is only a problem in cyber space or if you don't want to follow the rules as they were written. Not saying that you are either Bahnsy.

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 03:09:39 pm »
Brad, you have hit the nail on the  head, with your description.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 03:12:25 pm »
Craig - wanker again - the answer doesn't look like it is that simple eh!  Mind you - I wasn't after an interpretation just what it is supposed to be  ???

So please gents - no hybrids, 2010 models etc.  As it was intended to be - in the Honda range Brad it would finish at the 250RA - yes?

thanks

Rossco

Geez - Craig...............some days!  Why don't you come over for our Anniversary meet this year?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 03:19:46 pm »
Yes mate, RA.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 03:33:21 pm »
Dutch twinshock cr480, does not come into the equation as the bike started out life as a linkage bike. As stupid as it sounds, there is nothing (other than officials) stopping you from fronting a start line with a 2010 Honda CT110 postie bike as it is air cooled, drum braked & non-linkage. Taking the maico scenario a step further, there is a lot of web traffic around the 490 being re-introduced as a replica model. Given the vin system, it would be homologated as a 2010 model. As noted before the gcr's don't put EVO into a date or age category.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:29:06 pm by Bahnsy »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 03:37:03 pm »
evolution has no cut off date.so you can get a current model and race it.one hot ag 200.yes it maybe a ag but you can get parts. keep looking as there are more.Bahnsy you forget the other problem OEM.the late great Magoo hated with a passion

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 03:47:13 pm »
You had to raise OEM!
If i had a $ for every discussion on OEM I'd be a rich man
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

suzuki43

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 05:27:14 pm »
Geez - Craig...............some days!  Why don't you come over for our Anniversary meet this year?

Sorry Rossco I didnt realise you were so thin skinned re your mental handicap!

Jokes mate jokes, love you long time in a non threatening hetro sexual way,not in a Honda riding dancing boys way like Lady Bradalota and his evil apprentice Shane.... :-* :-*

Any way screw Evo and twinshocks its all linkages and kettles for me here on in!

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 05:32:11 pm »
Craig - you haven't had one of those rare caring/sharing moments have you where you feel I take note of your comments??? ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 06:00:21 pm »
rossco, you are not on your own mate, l talk in date , this evo talk, sure had me scratch-in my head too.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 06:17:39 pm »
just out there in the left.what is to stop someone building a new copy evo bike(any type)as long as it is a copy on the outside it must be able to race.the example in australian racing is brand new manx norton road racers and g50s,they line up next to gen pre62 bikes and sometimes win.if it can be done in 1 form of ma leagle racing why not in an other.but it has to be a copy as they were in the day.
some people just have to much money.when i was classic road racing in the early 80 a guy in sa was aready making manx stuff and even made a v twin jap.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 06:38:07 pm »
Bahnsy is 100% right: The ONLY requirements of the Evo class are drum brakes, air cooling and no-rear linkage.
The rest is smoke and mirrors.

Jim's hypothetical reproduction bike is definitely acceptable. Even a modern design bike that meets the criteria is Evo-legal. It would be outside the intention of the regs, but within the rules.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.