Author Topic: 2010 NATS (Side Topic)  (Read 21842 times)

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 NATS (Side Topic)
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 04:59:10 pm »
pre 78 class is a class on there own,apre 75 cannot compete in that class.as for the twin shock bikes being pushed out of pre 80 class you should do as most do pick a class you wish to ride and buy the bike to suit.
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Evil Rudy

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 05:04:18 pm »
Why can’t you ride the same bike in two classes if you ride up. What’s wrong with an early 80s Husky in both EVO and Pre 85, since technically it fits in both.

Is it a "grassy knoll” conspiracy against people being able to have fun, get extra riding time, filling out starting grids, and only have to maintain one bike?

Or is there a valid reason other than a jack arse MA thing?

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 05:10:56 pm »
The point being that the next group/era is pre 85 which is prominently single shock, front disc, water cooled bikes. I think the exceptions (e.g Husky) can still run evo.
Evo is the same as twin shock in the U.K .and Ultima in the U.S.
Is there a pre 80 in another country that you know of?
Why can’t you ride the same bike in two classes if you ride up. What’s wrong with an early 80s Husky in both EVO and Pre 85, since technically it fits in both.

Is it a "grassy knoll” conspiracy against people being able to have fun, get extra riding time, filling out starting grids, and only have to maintain one bike?

Or is there a valid reason other than a jack arse MA thing?

In my opinion there is . This is era racing and each era show cases what we were riding then. Other wise we would have all ins .

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 05:17:03 pm »
brad can you tell me the reason that a pre 75 cannot go into pre 78 but a pre78 can go into evo
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 05:17:33 pm »
Fair question Rudy and one I have asked? If I owned a 1984 CR500 Husky, it's both a legit pre'85 and EVO being air cooled, drum brake and twin shock. However at a National event I can only ride it in one of those classes, not both. As a rider I wouldn't care if I was beaten by an earlier class bike, hats off to the rider, and as a spectator I also wouldn't care, just glad to see full grids of old bikes. The dwindling numbers at the nationals is an indication of the need for some changes. The grids should be full but the current rules play a fair part in them not being so IMO. I have a heap of bikes, but would prefer to only have 1 bike to race (that being '77 CR390 Husky) and the classes I would want to race are pre'78 & EVO, maybe pre'85 if I'm feeling fit. The current rules do not allow it, it has to be contributing to low entries.
K

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 05:21:45 pm »
easy fixed bring back pre80 class and no evo

Excellent idea GDR
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 05:24:03 pm »
My opinion is that they should be separate but there would have been bugger all in the race if it wasn't for the evo's being in there. It was a small enough field as it was.

If the Pre85 class needs Evolution to prop it up (at any level) then there is some soul searching that needs to be done. Pre85 has been with the VMX movement for some time and it appears to be rather stagnant as far as rider numbers. (from what i have seen)
Additionally where does it leave Pre90 for the people that are pushing the point on this class as there are parallels that can then be drawn with the Pre85/Evo situation. When last i re-searched this at a Victorian State level, 50% - 70% of the Pre90 class where Pre85 bikes.

My personal opinion only.
If i was at a National or State title event and the announcer came across saying that the Open Class Pre85 bikes were lined up ready to race, I would expect to go to the fence to watch a field of CR450/480, KX500, RM465/500, YZ490's racing, not a grid that included non-linkage Evolution machines.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 05:32:07 pm »
brad can you tell me the reason that a pre 75 cannot go into pre 78 but a pre78 can go into evo
I think its because specific rules were written for pre 75 but not for other classes.
Fair question Rudy and one I have asked? If I owned a 1984 CR500 Husky, it's both a legit pre'85 and EVO being air cooled, drum brake and twin shock. However at a National event I can only ride it in one of those classes, not both. As a rider I wouldn't care if I was beaten by an earlier class bike, hats off to the rider, and as a spectator I also wouldn't care, just glad to see full grids of old bikes. The dwindling numbers at the nationals is an indication of the need for some changes. The grids should be full but the current rules play a fair part in them not being so IMO. I have a heap of bikes, but would prefer to only have 1 bike to race (that being '77 CR390 Husky) and the classes I would want to race are pre'78 & EVO, maybe pre'85 if I'm feeling fit. The current rules do not allow it, it has to be contributing to low entries.
K
I think having a Husky you can pick either but agree not both. Again imo. I would have to say that low entries were not due to the rules though K. Evo and pre 85 numbers are usually the biggest fields. As this topic is relating to the nats just gone, the vic's simply didn't turn up. There would have to be as many if not more bikes in Vic than QLD (not facts, just assumptions)?

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 05:33:40 pm »
brad can you tell me the reason that a pre 75 cannot go into pre 78 but a pre78 can go into evo.
Sorry to jump over Brad, but it is simply that way that the GCR's are written. It can be the same for the Pre78, Evolution & Pre85 if it was ammended within the GCR's.

The current rules do not allow it, it has to be contributing to low entries.
Mick not exactly. It is only the Supp Regs to the GCR's at a National Title level that push it.
At a state level, VIPER, Heaven etc its not the case.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 05:35:59 pm by Bahnsy »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 05:44:40 pm »
I am pretty 'into' this type of discussion as you can see  ::)
To Conondale bash a bit, the fields were huge for both there Bahnsy and it was the spectacle you would imagine.
Not knowing where the other states are at, but evo upwards are going great in QVMX.

My personal opinion only.
If i was at a National or State title event and the announcer came across saying that the Open Class Pre85 bikes were lined up ready to race, I would expect to go to the fence to watch a field of CR450/480, KX500, RM465/500, YZ490's racing, not a grid that included non-linkage Evolution machines.
That is really what the rule makers set out to do. Era racing. A time capsule of an era when you were racing.

I think if you are only prepared to prep, pay, afford, be bothered to ride/take one bike...then that is all you should ride. One bike, one class. I had six bikes entered and one failed. The prep and logistics was huge ( trying to make a point, not toot my own horn as it looks),but that is what I was prepared to do. I never complain about how much track time I get :D. I also got a bit of value for money re entry fee.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 06:40:47 pm »
We've been through all this shit before, you guys need to move on and get over it.. Pre 80 is gone.
Victoria is the only place in the world that had pre '80 racing.
The Evo class is big in the US and was adopted in Australia in '97.
In England it's called Twinshock and is the same rules as Evo.
The Evo format is perfect and all the bikes are of very similar performance..
Sounds like it was the pre 85 class that struggled at the Nats but you're bashing the Evo class. WTF??

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 07:02:30 pm »
i think the only problem is that the Vic 's didnt support the titles as other states have done in the past, whear you have to qualify for your grid spot, and the arguement is bullshit about entering 1 bike in multipule class's, under the gcr's as they stand you can enter a Pre 70 in Pre 85, no worries, so is this what was intented by the GCR's, NO. as john said whats the point of having class's at all if we dont showcase era's.

how many times do we have to go over this, ride the gcr's as they are intended, not how you interperit them.

why cant you just ride your era, that's what i thought the sport was all about

Cheers Trev, yes the local idiot Worms!

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 07:07:37 pm »
I have been corrected that it is pre 78 that you can't ride up in. Mmm, my pre 65 in evo.....sounds like fun....

All Things 414

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2010, 07:12:49 pm »
Please show me in the GCR's where it states that I can only enter one bike in one class.

Pretty please? :-\

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2010, 07:19:59 pm »
I think you know the answer. That is why this discussion comes up all of the time. Hence the word 'intended'.