Author Topic: $3500 top end overhaul  (Read 41648 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: $3500 top end overhaul
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2010, 08:06:22 pm »
It has got to be 2 stroke a simple designed motor no valves normally dont blow to bits to often you want something that when you give the throttle a twist it points you skywards which no doubt 4 strokes can do but for how long. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2010, 01:12:17 am »
No tin foil hats Ross, just read Marc comments.

??? ::) ???
Sorry. Don't see what that has to do with the reliability of 4T motocrossers?
That was referring to the conspiracy theory you referred to.

Oh! The picture of the blown motor. Oh well. We've all got one of them......

[/color]
I didn't think the discussion was about 2T being more or less reliable than 4T - I thought it was about the undue expense of fixing a modern 4T. Your case in point; that's a $1000 fix and the engine will be as good as 'factory fresh'. Do that to a modern 4T and it will be a $4-5000 repair and it still won't be 'factory fresh' (reusing cam chains, not replacing cam sprocket etc or not doing the bottom end).

Thats what i thought as well MX250...debating about the cost of repairing a blown modern 4 stroke.

All Things 414

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2010, 07:04:58 am »
What I'm getting at mate is it's always someone else's bike that we hear these stories about. I doubt half the people making these extravigant claims have even owned one.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2010, 07:36:02 am »
What I'm getting at mate is it's always someone else's bike that we hear these stories about. I doubt half the people making these extravigant claims have even owned one.

You may be surprised.

formerly Marc.com

All Things 414

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2010, 08:00:45 am »
So those are your bikes and you've blown one up and it cost you 4-5G? (I know you love any excuse to show us how much moola you have fella ;))
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:02:42 am by All Things 414 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2010, 08:18:20 am »
So those are your bikes and you've blown one up and it cost you 4-5G? (I know you love any excuse to show us how much moola you have fella ;))

I think I will disregard this one
formerly Marc.com

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2010, 09:07:06 am »
2T, 4T, blondes or brunettes? Who really cares? They all cost you money. At least a blown up 4T doesn't talk back. I sell the things new and yes have had the odd one lunch itself for no good reason, but by and large they are easier to ride than 2T's, and are reliable as anything with the proper maintenance. The horror stories are few & far between and just that, not the norm. Someone should start a thread on how good their new generation high tech 4t is, regardless of how much it MAY cost to fix IF it breaks big time. I had a good go on a new 300EXC on the weekend and it was fantastic, until I got onto a new 450 4T. No contest!
Cheers,
K

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2010, 09:29:26 am »
one of my customers young bloke races super retards,yzf250,rides it very well and hard,at 30 hrs  itold you really should be looking at replacing the piston,yes we  will do that but hang on there is a race meeting this weekend-piston let go and it lunched the motor  imean head,valves,piton.crank,gearbox,also needed to replace the clutch basket was chewed out 5000.00 later was up and running again we did fit different cams and a boysen hot shot

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2010, 09:29:48 am »
OK. How many people here can put their right hand in the air and swear on all things sacred that they've had to shell out 4G + for a 4T engine rebuild

Probably not that many, this being a VMX forum and all!  ;)

Tex

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2010, 10:09:08 am »
We will know by this time next year how reliable these new 450 really are. All the bike in the 2011 DAKAR rally have to be 450s. I can't recall any reports of major engine problems with the 450 in this year's DAKAR and with the likes of Coma, Deprese et al, all being on the 450 next year we will surely see how long an engine lasts. Even if the factory big boys are having a new engine fitted for each stage, the flogging that they get in one stage if probably far worst than the average ride would inflict on a bike in a year.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

mx250

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2010, 10:26:15 am »
2T, 4T, blondes or brunettes? Who really cares? They all cost you money. At least a blown up 4T doesn't talk back. I sell the things new and yes have had the odd one lunch itself for no good reason, but by and large they are easier to ride than 2T's, and are reliable as anything with the proper maintenance. The horror stories are few & far between and just that, not the norm. Someone should start a thread on how good their new generation high tech 4t is, regardless of how much it MAY cost to fix IF it breaks big time. I had a good go on a new 300EXC on the weekend and it was fantastic, until I got onto a new 450 4T. No contest!
Cheers,
K
That's from your POV. For the young family man (as described earlier) who has his pride and joy lunch itself for no apparent reason and after good upkeep, it can be a lifestyle/life choices changing/destroying moment.

I note you conceded "The horror stories are few & far between and just that, not the norm."  From my experience and what's been said here I would agree. But it is the old 'probability versus severity equation'. When the modern 4T lunch themselves about the only thing of value you are left with is a rolling chassis.

That's the message, that's the lesson. How many punters are aware of that? How many punters are made aware of that? How often are punters misled by advertising and articles that say 'Honda CRF wins two day enduro against the world's best' but doesn't say the engine was changed each day?

A case of buyer be informed, buyer be sceptically, rather than buyer beware (of financial consideration only) - which would be my contribution here ;).

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2010, 11:27:22 am »
Here's what happens when you never change the oil in a WR250F the big end comes out to say hello!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2010, 12:09:09 pm »
NO problems for a JB Weld meister like yourself ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2010, 12:32:18 pm »
A case of buyer be informed, buyer be sceptically, rather than buyer beware (of financial consideration only) - which would be my contribution here ;).

Well summed up, the issue is not reliability just awareness of what the latest 4 stroke race bike might cost you if it goes pop, and also how cheap VMX is by comparison. $3500 gets you a lot of VMX bling by comparison.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »
I have decided this year to go back to the 2 smoker modern,  the 4 banger was doing my head in with the engine braking on the jumps and the way you have to come in full power in corners to get an exit.     BAck that up with rediculous maintience schedules and parts its just a Factory gold mine for consumables.  Like and oil filter every 5 hours ?? wtf.

MEh its on Ebay if anyone wants my 4 banger.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180467408436&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff