Author Topic: Project RM175F  (Read 40126 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Project RM175F
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2010, 07:13:22 pm »
Mario are you coming to three bridges vinduro?
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2010, 08:07:44 pm »
The PE250 motor goes into a 82-84 PE175 frame. not too much cutting/welding is required and its fairly straight forward. In Theory a 400 motor could fit in the same frame as the bottom ends the same dimensionally at the mounts as the 250, but the overal extra bulk of the barrel/head would be too much i reckon as the 250 in the 175 already makes the carby a very tight squeeze plus i reckon there would be too much power for what is essentially a 1981 RM125 chassis. There was a dealer back in 83/84 that was actuallly putting PE250 motors into 83/84 175 frames and then selling them as 'their version' of what the 83/84 full floater PE250 could have been, so it can definitely be done.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2010, 08:25:51 pm »
I have a PE250X motor just rebuilt...   ;)

monaro308

« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2010, 02:13:28 am »
Lol...Marc i never felt comfortable on the WR plus i'm an average rider and the tall top heaviness feel of the WR irritated me.Even a simple U turn on a tight single track caused problems because i'm about 5'7 with boots on,just leaning the bike over at the right point with no momentum the whole weight of the bike would feel like it just wants to fall over,and trying to pick up a 120kg+ bike on the side of a steep hill
was no fun anymore.
Weighing 80kgs with riding gear trying to pull 120kg + out of deep ruts and power that was only used/useful on firetrails made my mind up to sell it,plus i hardly used it this year because of shift work.
I'll miss the grunt of the 450 but no way will i miss the weight,i also think it made me a lazy rider.
I think last years KTM's sales of 2 strokes was 48% from memory.I've been tempted to try out the 300 but i think i'm over the holed radiators,water pump seal leaks wizbang stuff....first time out on the WR nearly cost me a radiator.The 9 years that i owned my old PE175X not a single thing broke out in the bush.
All my work mates swear by their 4 strokes because thats all they've owned,i grew up on 2 strokes and bought a 4 stroke because thats the "thing" to have these days.....well i'm not convinced anymore.

Leith thanks for that info...good to know.
Now how much bigger is the barrel and head finning of the 250 against the 175?
It already is a tight fit with the 175 head/barrel at the front downtube,so anything bigger
is going to need fin surgery,anyway i'm happy with the 175.

Luke...what are you upto ;) converting your 175 to a 250???

Michael no go for 3 bridges,damn work gets in the way all the time....who invented bloody money?

cheers...mario

monaro308

« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2010, 11:13:00 pm »
I took the bike out for another test today at my mates farm.
I swapped the magura throttle off the 125T and it was much better on the wrist.
I left the same pilot jet in but raised the needle 1 notch and took it for a spin and it sounded and ran too fat in the midrange.
Off with the airbox again and i lowered the needle 2 notches (1 above the middle) and took it out.
WOW....much much better and loving the power now with a greater hit from just above  1/4 all the way to nearly full throttle.
The off idle stumble is still there but i'll work on that again next time.I have an access hole in the airbox to get to the mixture screw but i forgot my allen key to get the airbox cover off.
Today was damp and slippery with alot of sheep crap flinging everywhere including in my eyes (goggles off)
I am finding it hard to fault this chassis so far,just waiting for it to step out and surprise me or spit me off.
This bike is making me look good even though i can't ride for shit and attacking some man made berms (excess dirt next to a dam) with more confidence than i thought i had  :D

The PE engine fitted with the modified RM100X? or 125T? pipe (in my stash of pipes)and the whatever it is muffler is working a treat with the 175 engine and the TM34 flatslide(once the off idle is sorted)
Almost an MXish powerband hit,not as violent but a great spread of power all the way to the top.
3 more lts of fuel today and I am loving this bike the more and more i ride it  ;D

Enquired about getting it rec rego'd for it this morning and i have everything they asked for.
Only need to connect the brake pedal switch(wiring already there) and fit a rh mirror...don't even need a stand :)
I'll have to book it in with Vic Roads and get the OK...then pay the dollars(as usual)
Thats it for today....love the bike more than i thought i would with more to get out of it.
cheers...mario
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:13:38 am by monaro308 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2010, 06:54:19 pm »
Lol...Marc i never felt comfortable on the WR plus i'm an average rider and the tall top heaviness feel of the WR irritated me.Even a simple U turn on a tight single track caused problems because i'm about 5'7 with boots on,

cheers...mario

You just need to put on a few kilos and a few inches mate and you can sling the 450 round. My own limited experience of both bikes is the WR feels a lot heavier to ride than the Suzook.

formerly Marc.com

monaro308

« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2010, 01:20:56 pm »
Update....
Haven't been doing much on the bike lately....picked up another monaro coupe from a work mate and thats kept me busy in the last couple or weeks but i have been doing dribs and drabs on the bike.
I took Doc's tip on chasing an RGV muffler for the bike as i hate loud bikes.
I scored 2 x RGV mufflers for $30.00 delivered so i was happy about that  ;D
These are off the early RGV's (muffler each side)so i had the choice of running either and put the RH one on,it just needed a mild tweek of the mount and i welded a bracket to the bottom for the side cover to mount to. For some reason i always thought they were aluminium...not so,just good ol' metal!
A little bit of weight in them(could also be clogged packing).
I haven't fired it up yet but i should hope it will quieter going by my old RGV's sound.

Sorted out the kick start fitment using the bottom knuckle off another k/start i had and modifying it to suit my lever,fits in nice under the pipe now and locks in too.

Another thing i have been doing is getting all the little bits ready for Rec rego...ie brake light switch,mirror and my CT90 horn...all good now.
Not sure if i have to run a rear chain guard. Anyone know????

Thats it for now ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:30:23 pm by monaro308 »

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2010, 01:59:36 pm »
Not sure if i have to run a rear chain guard.

Yes, I believe that you do.

Tex

monaro308

« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2010, 02:12:22 pm »
Thanks Tex...i had a sneaky suspicion that i had to even though its the first thing with the mirror that goes straight in the bin when its passed  ;D
Thanks...Mario

oldfart

« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2010, 07:22:52 pm »
   TIP - Cut mirror just after first bend and mount on cross bar with 2 hose clamps, turn it so it hides behind front # plate .  When you get pull over by the law just roll it back up  ;)

monaro308

« Reply #160 on: July 04, 2010, 09:12:06 pm »
Me again  ;D
Back and forth on the bike and Monaro..don't know if i'm coming or going these days.
After Doc kindly sending the TS fuel tap with the right angle and reserve to try out....it was no go as the tap was too long and hit the head fins.  :-\
After just about giving up and staying with the original tap being very close to the head,i took a punt
on buying a pit bike tap off ebay @ $7.00 ahh what the heck $13.00 all up.

Surprise surprise..same bolt pattern as the RM! :)
With the extra tube for reserve i just had to elongate the original single hole,the RM tank has a nice flat surface to modify it.

The pit bike tap outlet ID is even a tiny smidgen larger than the RM pea shooter taps.
Mounted to the tank...

Mounted on the bike and problem solved!
Clear of the head and heat and now have reserve for peace of mind in the bush :D

DR

« Reply #161 on: July 04, 2010, 10:06:43 pm »
Strange how all the major component interchanges happen so fast but all the fiddly stuff seems to take forever :P..or in some extreme cases (me)..never! ::) not referring to you Mario, your bike is looking great. So long as the part doesn't have 'MADE IN CHINA' in a blatantly obvious position then it's all good if it does the job. And those RGV mufflers, beaut aren't they! Whilst a little heavy they are stupendously thrifty shopping at around $15 a serve 8) matter of fact I've just fitted one to project 118..it fits so well whether or not it functions correctly doesn't really matter a zac ::) even pre-scuffed in the right spot to give the illusion it's been fitted for ages so obviously it must work :D

monaro308

« Reply #162 on: July 04, 2010, 10:52:42 pm »
Hey that looks great Doc! Sweet  ;)I still don't know how you manage to churn out those bikes of yours.
Your tip for the RGV mufflers is a winner although i still HAVEN'T fired it up....always getting derailed onto something else.
Correct about the little things taking the longest!
Tap looks to be well built,so it "should" be ok...no CHINA markings on it lol ;D
cheers mario

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 05, 2010, 01:09:06 pm »

Not sure if i have to run a rear chain guard. Anyone know????

Rear chainguard NOT required for Rec reg purposes. ;)
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

monaro308

« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2010, 01:55:42 pm »
Thanks TeeBone! One less job to worry about and the bike is pretty much ready for Rec reg...time to book it in and let Vic Roads rape my wallet  ::)
Better than $360.00 i had to pay on the WR450 when it NEVER saw the road.
Thanks again....mario