Author Topic: Classic Dirt Track Images.  (Read 720697 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Dirt Track Images.
« Reply #720 on: July 28, 2011, 01:50:48 pm »
Haydos i was a kid, everynight to me was like a saturday night.  being up after 8'clock was like Xmas !
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 29, 2011, 06:49:22 pm »
SA's old tracks

Wayville showgrounds, originally the 'Speedway royale started inthe 1920, still here today as our showgrounds and every now and then a promoter gets permit for an event. we had the sidecar gold cup a few years back.  But being in the city centre the noise police put too many conditions on it for it to be run and the cost is prohibitive ( i heard $10K hire fee)

You probably won't believe me but our local speedway track is a 5 minute work to the middle of town, normally runs from October to April most saturday nights with 1 huge 2 day teams meeting for superstock cars in February
Solos don't run there much but sidecars probably do every third or fourth meeting

A taste of the superstocks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRd9E-58lPE

Curly3

« Reply #722 on: July 29, 2011, 07:53:58 pm »
Tony, without being rude, you've actually raised one of my pet hates.
To me Speedway is, solo's, I have never actually watched the car racing on speedway, I love the V8's but it's the stoppages involved with car racing that generally leaves me cold.
Motorcycles of all types are pretty much supported by " Enthusiasts " , every Tom Dick & Harry drives a car.
We are the home of Speedway and the lack of local competition is a shame.

Curly3

« Reply #723 on: July 29, 2011, 08:34:03 pm »
Just a bit of trivia.
The Donkin bro's on the speedway sidecar on page 48 are the uncles of one of our best ever female racers.
Jan Hart, nee Stewart, wife of Geoff Hart.
Jan was bloody quick on DT during the 80's and teamed with Geoff and his brother Daniel very nearly won the 6 hour race at Nepean more than once riding for the Betric Racing team.
Another point to note is that Jan's father, Keith Stewart won the Redex Trial, for bikes, way back when.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 29, 2011, 11:15:57 pm »
ToWe are the home of Speedway and the lack of local competition is a shame.

how good would it be if we had proper league riding in Au.  twice a week races would be awesome, the sport would be the king or this generation of short attenion span kids and quick result and short free time adults.   It can be revivied...............  belive   :P
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 30, 2011, 08:27:56 am »
It's been something that has disappointed me as well, there are a few bike only tracks around over here though none anywhere near us & bikes really have almost disappeared from the scene especially with the total commitment needed when you have concrete walls & no cage surrounding you
Both the bikes & sidecars need the track smoother & some nights the sidecars meet in the middle after a sighting lap to decide if it's safe to race or not.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 30, 2011, 09:42:01 am »
John Walker, a Coventry lad , has been trying to resurrect Solo Teams racing in Canberra, he has faced beaurocracy, apathy and downright antagonism, from certain quarters, to give John his due , he's still in there battling for the solo scene.
In the Eighties , John was instrumental in organising the Canberra Bulls speedway club and team as well as  Solo teams racing at Tralee, I rode, a few times, for North Canberra V South Canberra there under John's aegis.
Negotiations are still going on and I hope John and the Club can bring his and the Canberra Bull's plans to fruition.

Check out the Bull's website for more info, www.canberrabullsspeedway.org.au
Foss
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:43:39 am by JAP 454 »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 30, 2011, 12:29:46 pm »
 Kieth Stewart is a name I remember, saw him ride at Mt Druitt on I think a compy AJay or Matcho.
 I believe he also had a record  for the longest 'broad jump' on a motorcycle late '50s.
 [They did those sort of things at ACU sanctioned 'sports days']
 cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

platts 149

« Reply #728 on: July 30, 2011, 08:58:56 pm »
hi everybody my names michael platts im the son of doug platts he use to race dirt track in the 70s im just wondering if anybody on here has any other photos or info on his career or achievments
any info would be very grateful cheers

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 30, 2011, 09:03:49 pm »
There ya go Foss! I reckon you're the man for the job on this one!!!    cheers,   mark

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 30, 2011, 09:09:49 pm »
Michael,  welcome to the gang. I'm sure Foss and the others will be able to help with info on Doug.     Mark

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 30, 2011, 09:26:42 pm »
G'day , Michael
Great to see you on here, I remember Doug very well , he was a very exciting rider to watch and to chase !!!, there is a pic, not a real good one,  from Revs of Doug, Kevin Patton and myself at Yass with Gough Whitlam on Doug's bike on page 3 post 39 on this thread.

Slides will probably have more info than me , however he's at the Nepean 2 day Charity Dirt Track right now.

Foss
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:28:14 pm by JAP 454 »

platts 149

« Reply #732 on: August 01, 2011, 10:45:20 am »
I have heard from quite a few people that he use to race with that he was a hard rider and of course he told me the same thing. i have that photo of gough whitlam on his bike at home in my collection i have just ordered a scanner and i have over 200 photo's from the 60's and 70's of dad racing along with kevin fraser, brian martin and the other wollongong club guys.I regret it now that i didnt continue racing dirt track instead i moved onto powerboats me and dad are still in regular contact with a few of the guys. Kevin fraser pops up every now and than and im good friends with peter rowlands daughter and son who both raced dirt track when they were younger. Dads 60th is coming up soon and im trying to put together a big scrap book of stuff that we dont already have so anything would be helpfull

Curly3

« Reply #733 on: August 01, 2011, 03:55:12 pm »
Hi Michael and welcome aboard.
I don't know if you've read most of this thread but I'll apologise to you now, I'm the bonehead who posted that Doug was no longer with us, thankfully I was wrong.
Hoprfully he'll get a chuckle out of it.
Doug and my brother Carl were both coming up through the grades at the same time and had quite a few ding dongs with each other, they are around the same age and were both pretty hard chargers.
I don't have any more shots of your dad but I know every one on here would enjoy anything you might have.
Tell him the Askew's say g'day.
Steve

platts 149

« Reply #734 on: August 01, 2011, 05:17:22 pm »
haha yes mate he did get a chuckle out of but no his still around and still in wollongong.He was telling me the otherday when he was looking at these pictures trying to figure out who some of the guys were he mentioned your brother carl as soon as he seen the race number he yelled in my ear thats carl bloody askew i remember him and i would love to share all these pictures just waiting on my new scanner i have alot from when he was 13 right through to when he raced in england with julian wigg and there is tonnes of news clippings from the 70's of the australia v england tests and alot from amaroo park. i found a program yesterday in dads box of stuff from the 1973 dirt track race of the year at amaroo and alot of the names in it i have seen on here but as soon as i can il be quick to scan these photos there slot there of alot of different people