Author Topic: Classic Dirt Track Images.  (Read 724230 times)

Curly3

Re: Classic Dirt Track Images.
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2010, 10:08:05 pm »
What a great shot, Herb was definitely the early pacesetter on Sliders. He was always the one that Billy & Dad always talked about having to beat, just as Billy was to Carl. Post the photo Al. Which edition of Old Bike was that article in?

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2010, 10:23:49 pm »
Yeah, Steve,  a bloody great shot and I can remember all of us C graders calling each other " Herb " , Me dog at the time was even called , you guessed it " Herb "

September / October 2008 Old Bike Australia

Fossil

Curly3

« Reply #242 on: May 31, 2010, 10:38:49 pm »
Always love a good shot of a Legtrailer in action, I'm pretty sure it was pronounced Erb, well that's how I heard it.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 31, 2010, 10:50:43 pm »
You're right about the pronunciation , Erb.
Anyhoo here's the other shot, Old Bar 1969, Billy chasing Herb , Alan Hill and I hitch-hiked up an back to Taree to watch this meeting.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2010, 07:01:24 am »
  There great old shots  jap! especially the top one  of  "erb", he was a little before my time ,do you guys know any of his history ,where he was from etc? :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 07:03:19 am by Huskibul »

Curly3

« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2010, 07:52:17 am »
Erb's from around Newcastle somwhere I think. Interesting to see all 3 styles of helmets from the era in the same shot.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 01, 2010, 10:18:49 pm »
For Wally and those interested, the above photos came from Old Bike Australia issue #9, if you go to www.chevron.com.au and follow the links Motorbikes - magazines - back issues you will find back issue # 9 still available.

The yarn about Herb is well worth reading and it has some great old photos, and ,of course the Editor , Jim Scaysbrook, was no mean Short Circuit rider himself,there is nearly always some mention or article about Short Circuit in the mag.
Fossil

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #247 on: June 04, 2010, 03:26:41 pm »
My Brother and l always went to the melbourne show grounds long track, l you ride there hollywood, do you ride agains gary o`brian on his JAP. and now you ride trials.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 04, 2010, 03:58:45 pm »
Calling every-one 'erb brings back memories! i used to wonder where that came from now i know. I was at Amaroo road races standing on the enbankment at the very top corner with Fred Boyd and a Bankstown Wiley park bloke who had a beer in his face when Geof Curtis was first into the corner by a long shot but scattered the manx that he was riding across the track. When he picked himself up the one with the beer said [after a pause] "want a can 'erb?" Geoff looked at him in disbelief and said "what a @#$% of a time to ask me!" cheers wally
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2010, 10:13:40 am »
 Hey fossil I got your email and i think i replied  not sure! any how looking forward to a chat cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Hollywood

« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2010, 04:56:27 pm »
My Brother and l always went to the melbourne show grounds long track, l you ride there hollywood, do you ride agains gary o`brian on his JAP. and now you ride trials.
I cannot remember Gary O'Brian and I gave up riding trials in 2000 due to health reasons. I surf longboards now, although I am suffering knee problems at the moment from a work injury.

Hollywood

« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2010, 04:59:34 pm »

Peter Fields on the deck, myself in the middle pushing Brian Shields to the outside.

Curly3

« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2010, 06:12:04 pm »
With nearly every photo a name that I forgot comes up, that is what this thread is all about. Peter Field, I know Brian Shields has been mentioned before and the Shields family name has been dominant in & around the Hunter for decades. My memory of Gary O'brien was at the OZ Short Circuit titles, St Kilda Sth Aus in 74 when he won the 250 & 500 titles riding Montesa's. The track was pretty much a Goat track after weeks of bad weather. KD won his first unlimited title.

mx250

« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2010, 05:28:28 pm »
Alan Hill and I hitch-hiked up an back to Taree to watch this meeting.
;D back in the good old days eh.

Hollywood

« Reply #254 on: June 07, 2010, 05:12:51 pm »