Author Topic: Classic Dirt Track Images.  (Read 724239 times)

colmoody

Re: Classic Dirt Track Images.
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2010, 08:05:58 pm »
Ian,  seems like your the man on what Gary Thomas rode. Did he ever road race Kawaskai 500's. Or did I get that completly wrong.

Curly3

« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2010, 08:21:34 pm »
Looks like a Leightweight race start to me. 250's for those who may not know. I remember Ole riding at that meeting. Good comment for the sidecar fraternity at the bottom of that program cover Allan, I'm sure the argumentitive Chair boys on this forum will enjoy that.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2010, 08:38:11 pm »
Yes , Steve , I agree that it is a Lightweight race start, numbers I can make out are, # 306 on the Bully with the holeshot, #52  Bully next to him , then KP, Fraze, #1, & #15 and the slider closest looks to have 11 or 11? on it, any idea who they might be ??
Fossil

Curly3

« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2010, 09:28:51 pm »
The 11 that I remember was Reg Anderson from BWP but I can't remember him riding anything other than a 500. I thought one looked like Matt Daley and he used 15 from memory. Carl rode a Bully at the very start using number 22, but I can't help with the others.

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2010, 09:42:59 pm »
fantastic thread Curly ! and all those who've posted pix and comments have really enjoyed all the old pix. Been telling my son (24) how it was back in the day speedway Saturday night at Sydney showground we could catch the bus or get a ride from the brother in law he just can't beleive !!
aahhhh the good old days

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2010, 08:35:05 am »
Y'know since Curly started this thread, I have been trawling through me old photo albums and old programs and have realised how important all this memorabilia is, Short Circuit in the 60s and 70s was a breeding ground for lifelong friendships an also a little argy- bargy and what a time it was.
I know some would say we are living in the past, but what a past !! Tours , both Short Circuit and Speedway , by the Auld Enemy the Poms, legend OS riders , like Wigg, Pusey, Olsen, Mauger, Fundin, I could go on. The best part about all that was our boys gave it to the Poms in spades !! Think about OUR legends  whose names have been on this thread , The Captain, Edwards , Askew, Poole, Fraser, Howison , Hunter , Norris , Crump , Street , Langfield, the list goes on and on !!.

Australia had four World Champions in Speedway last year , and did many people outside the sport know ??

Ahh well, I guess I better get to the point of this post.

No prizes for identifying the rider on the left, in these pit shots taken at the Royale but who is the young bloke on the right ?? I think I know who it is , but I'm not sure , any ideas anyone ??

Offline kipo

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2010, 08:42:33 am »
Hey Kipo
Did you see the write up, in Old Bike Australia 2009 March / April issue, on Neil Munro and Brian Kuerschner on his Vincent at the Pug Hole ??
and you are right about the mixed programs bringing in the fans to the Skids.
Fossil

HI Fossil, No I didnt see that. You're right, it's good looking at all this nostalga. Australians have been so succesfull in speedway but like you say they are unknown outside the sport. Yet an AFL player and breaks a finger nail its national news  >:(
Keep the photos coming, love it!

Curly3

« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2010, 09:38:53 am »
I know Carl would be a bit embarassed to see his name mentioned amongst those guys even if he did leave his mark, in more ways than one.
Jim actually swung for my uncle on scrambles before he made his name in Speedway.
That matinee idol wouldn't be you would it Al?

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2010, 10:25:05 am »
Nah, not me , Steve, like I said , Ithink I know who it is but I dont want to say yet, in case I colour others thoughts on the matter.

Hollywood

« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2010, 04:54:40 pm »
Hey! Let's not forget the world champs that hailed from the Hunter Valley. Casey Stoner, Chad Reed and Jason Crump.

Hollywood

« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2010, 05:09:52 pm »

Curly3

« Reply #221 on: May 26, 2010, 05:10:06 pm »
Sorry Don, I don't think the Hunter can claim Jason, he's actually born & educated in England and Phil is from Mildura.
Who's the guy with the Spotted leathers in a few shots from Jerilderie Park by the way, they look familiar but I can't put a name to them?
Could the young bloke in the pits at the Showground be a very young Bob Sharpe?

Hollywood

« Reply #222 on: May 26, 2010, 05:27:54 pm »
Jason Crump owns a house at Swansea Heads. Probably doesn't spend much time here but is here during the off season sometimes.

The rider with the spots is Terry Sutherland from Newcastle. Dabbled on both short circuit and speedway.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 26, 2010, 05:30:02 pm »
Yeah, I thought that the Crumps were from Mildura  and Jason was born a Pom like me, anyhoo didn't want to leave anyone out an all that, but that's lists for you , more power to the riders you mentioned , Don ,and thats where It ALL started , the Hunter Valley , c1928, Johnnie Hoskins, Maitland Showground .

OK , the young rider in the second photo I have always understood to be Cec Platt pre fringe era.
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2010, 05:56:01 pm »
I thought it was probably too recent to be Sharpie but there was something very familiar about him that I couldn't put my finger on. Bob was a very prominent figure at Nepean, sharing his vast experience to anyone who asked at the time I was starting out.
If Crumpy owns a house at Swansea, I'll accept that one.