Author Topic: modified vinduro bikes  (Read 18855 times)

Offline misfit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
modified vinduro bikes
« on: November 30, 2009, 01:09:48 pm »
i wondering if there are any reasons as to why a modified bike cant be entered in some vinduros.

for example:
honda xl250, with 305cc bore kit, cr250m tank, guards and sidecovers, xl175 front brake laced into an alloy rim, removable headlight (replaced with number plate), yss (or simular) shocks, cr250 forks, xl250 guages on custom alloy bracket, with an o-ring chain

This is my dream bike and im wondering if it would be eligable.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: modified vinduro bikes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 02:30:27 pm »
See no reason at all for it not to be eligible - go for it! Be a good thing.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 02:54:06 pm »
This is my dream bike and im wondering if it would be eligable.

Enduro dreams used to be full of modified bikes, KX 125s with 200 engines, PE175s with RM suspension, all manor of converted MX bikes. Hell remember when there was a ISDT 750 class, I think they should bring that back in Vinduro it would be a hoot running a Cagiva Elefant or Morini Camel.

So go for it. Don't worry about eligibility, everything has a class.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 03:00:21 pm »
Be a demon on the fire roads ;D ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 03:12:14 pm »
For a start you are eligable it is a xl250 pre85 no matter what it has done to it it is a enduro bike it came out with a headlight etc etc there is nothing wrong with what you are suggesting maybe the headlight though but they wanted every bike to have a front and rear taillight but they dont have to work so that gives you a million options thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 03:32:42 pm »
Check with whoever is running the vinduros in your state (Queensland, right?).

Here in Victoria, they are non competitive, so as long as the bikes are Pre 85 and have lights and a decent muffler it doesn't really matter. Mixing and matching parts like you describe wouldn't be an issue here as far as I can see.

However, if you are planning on riding in a competitive event it would be wise to check the rules pertaining to classes etc, particulary if you have a preferred class to ride in.

Sounds like an interesting bike, by the way.

Tex

Mick

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:22:54 pm »
At the moment Vinduro in any state has NO set rules in place for non competitive, so until or if they do then I would say anything is a go.

Cheers Mick.

Offline misfit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 11:44:45 am »
righto thanks everyone. so far i have got the cr tank for this project, and may be able to get cr forks and sidecovers from the guy who had the tank. anyway whats the go with vinduros in qld? are their any permanent annual events being organised?

EVO450

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 05:01:19 pm »
Does this include modified mx bikes too.  :o
A contentous point at the moment. ???
Evo

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:55:07 pm »
I dont have a real problem with mx bikes as long as they use period lights and fenders to try and capture the spirit of the period and have enduro type mufflers fitted if they make the lights work with a battery thats ok. You can get most of the period plastics from DC plastics and I think if someone has gone to that expense and effort the deserve a start.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 10:14:55 pm »
I think people are over complicating it because especially here in Vic these were the rules .

pre85
no mx bikes
and I think other small ones like must have head and taillight.

Not that I entirely agree with everything I do agree with pre85 I think that is a good cut off but I can not really see the harm when it is a non competitive event that a couple of bikes be allowed to ride if they are a bit newer if it were competitive it is a completly different story I did notice the modified mx bikes but what does that matter when it is not competitive and it has been done before when the bikes were new. while it is not competitive you should be fine and I think every one involved would think the same and want it to stay that way other wise you have to scrutineer everything there were parts installed that were not pre85 what do you do about that if it is competitive you dont let them run however it is not so they run and no one has trouble with what is eligable and what is not thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 12:03:56 am »
A contentious point at the moment.

Really? How so?

People rode converted MX bikes in enduros prior to 1985. Like odd1 & Frosty, my understanding is that modified motocrossers are welcome.

I'm pretty sure prizes have been awarded to 'best converted motocross bike'* at Vinduros before too.

Tex

*Or something like that...

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 12:21:47 am »
Does this include modified mx bikes too.  :o
A contentous point at the moment. ???
Evo
A contentious point at the moment.
Really? How so?
People rode converted MX bikes in enduros prior to 1985. Like odd1 & Frosty, my understanding is that modified motocrossers are welcome.
I'm pretty sure prizes have been awarded to 'best converted motocross bike'* at Vinduros before too.
Tex
*Or something like that...

Doesn't Vinduro stand for vintage enduro   8) not modified mx  :o does that sound old school  ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:23:44 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 01:39:50 am »
Doesn't Vinduro stand for vintage enduro  not modified mx

It doesn't stand for vintage trailbike either if you want to go down that road (trail)!

Surely the term refers to the type of event, rather than a very specific eligibility criteria! I mean, by that logic, no trail or enduro bikes can compete in vintage motocross either.

Tex

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 06:45:14 am »
MX bikes have always been modified for enduro competition, as have nearly all bikes used in some form of competition. Its not the type of bike thats modified, but how its modified that is the point here. The original IT 400 ( I WANT ONE ) only had 61 parts that were not YZ400 and it was used at the ISDT!
  If a bike in question has been properly converted for enduro use,ie, lights;effective muffler;side or centre stands;etc, and meets other age criteria (Pre '85 ), I cant see why it can't be ridden in the appropriate event.
  Internal modifications for horsepower, suspension or general performance would be allowed as long as these also meet period criteria.
  For examples look at Rolf Witthoeft's Z751 ( a road bike ),all Bultaco enduro bikes were basically the previous years 'crosser,KTM enduros were the MC model with 6th gear unlocked and lights, etc. added

It's not the bike but the conversion that matters    ;D ;D ;D

Roger