Author Topic: modified vinduro bikes  (Read 18847 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: modified vinduro bikes
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 08:11:46 am »
Ideally it would be great that they are all enduro but that is not ever going to happen I wish not so many maico gs490 had been converted to mx as you dont see any at the events. The whole point of vintage enduro I think is getting the old bike and having fun since it is non competitive my mate rides a yz250 in the bush today so I am sure that it has never stopped happening and for a model code why should it YZ/IT PE/RM thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 06:27:20 pm »
My thoughts are, lets get some events happening and then work out the details. Give some awards to the best presented period bike or something to encourage the old ''Enduro Bikes'' out of the sheds.
Just get an event here in Qld before I die of old age, PLEASE!!.

EVO450

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 08:07:42 pm »
Does this include modified mx bikes too.  :o
A contentous point at the moment. ???
Evo

I mean a contentous point in the way mx bikes are modified a headlight and tail just bolted and not connected and NOISY mx muffler still fitted does not make a vinduro bike to my way of thinking.
Evo

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 08:11:46 pm »
I dont know about the noisy muffler deal either as a heap of guys run dg pipes and there is no way known that the yz250 etc etc were louder than my 400 on stock exhaust thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 12:36:16 am »
a headlight and tail just bolted and not connected and NOISY mx muffler still fitted does not make a vinduro bike

My PE175 has a headlight & tail light just bolted on, and not connected. It's got a KX250 muffler too (not too noisy though). So far, so good...

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 09:53:36 pm »
Doesn't Vinduro stand for vintage enduro  not modified mx

It doesn't stand for vintage trailbike either if you want to go down that road (trail)!

Surely the term refers to the type of event, rather than a very specific eligibility criteria! I mean, by that logic, no trail or enduro bikes can compete in vintage motocross either.

Tex

I love your thinking.  ;D
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 09:56:54 pm »
Does this include modified mx bikes too.  :o
A contentous point at the moment. ???
Evo

Yeah how so? Check the thread about future directions part 4.
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 10:04:29 pm »
I dont know about the noisy muffler deal either as a heap of guys run dg pipes and there is no way known that the yz250 etc etc were louder than my 400 on stock exhaust thanks Michael. :)

Totally agree. How many Vintage bikes still have their original exhausts fitted? I used to have a 81 IT250 with a aftermarket muffler fitted and it was the loudest bike i have ever owned. I agree with the 85 cutoff date and period light fittings. Also everyone should always try to keep noise levels down.

I have an interest in this issue because i have a converted MX bike. Mine has period headlight/ tailight, Repacked DG muffler, working lights and its Rec registered. I can ride mine anywhere ;D

The other thing is, even if Vinduros where competitive, riding a MX bike has no real advantages. They are harder to ride.
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 10:16:38 pm »
Drakie made some comments about no MX bikes when the Vinduro scene was being set up in Vic. . I don't think he intended to ban all MX bikes, as even many early European stuff is based on MX bikes.
I think he was worried about a lot of MX bikes just turning up for the ride & overshadowing the Enduro bikes, but it seems their are a few that are hanging onto his every word as if it was gospel.
MX bikes were converted in the day & should be allowed to now.
"Spirit of the Era" is an old line that springs to mind, even though their are many different interprtations of it.

As for mufflers, EVERY BIKE NEEDS TO BE MUFFLED PROPERLY
Just because it's a Enduro or Trail bike muffler doesn't mean it's effective.
Some of the Venues we have are near houses, we need to fly under the radar if we are to keep these venues.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 10:53:00 pm »
I definetly agree they should be all muffled properly but I was just stating that my 400 on stock pipe was one of the louder bikes there and it would pass a road worthy no dramas at all dont go running straight out exhaust or anything silly.

I dont think it is the place for a stock mx bike either but I do agree that alot of enduro are the same as there motorcrosser of the same time and I think that no reason should a modified bike not be allowed to run I could see the harm if all motorcrossers turned up.

I don't think people want it to be like that anyway and most the guys are just happy to ride and it is a casual event there isn't a rulebook as such it is all common sense stuff really thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 11:07:47 pm »
Just get an event here in Qld before I die of old age, PLEASE!!.

We're working on it (Sunshine coastMCC)
I wanted to do it before CD7, but there is a good chance of us getting another big event about the time I was thinking.
BTW There's a good chance it won't be at Conondale.
As for MX bike's, I agree with GMC and would add, I want old enduro bike's and riders for that matter held in the same regard as the MX stuff is.  I'm not sure that can happen if you allow it to be open to any bike.  

The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 11:54:17 pm »
Yes well without rules do what you want but I think they will come in as pre85 has been exceeded a couple of times and no mx has been as well. Although I am sure they didn't want things to get over technical and you don't need to panic it will sort itself out some one has to decide no post pre85 and no mx but modified it will start to get real confusing. So yes and no need to be clear as when I entered you had to list the make model and year of bike.  I didnt even notice the mx or later bikes personally. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 09:22:35 am »
it is all common sense stuff really

Exactly.

I didnt even notice the mx or later bikes personally

Me neither. I was always too busy getting into it and HAVING FUN.

Tex

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 09:48:03 am »
Shit TEX, don't let too many know that you're having fun or they might want to join you-or worse-call the fun police!!
Like I've said-let's just go riding-see who turns up-then work on the rules. If we make it too hard to start with, no bugger will bother and some great bikes will stay in sheds for another 10 yrs.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 11:16:08 am »
Oh, I'm happy with the rules that we have here in Vic, I'm also happy to see that thus far they have been tempered with common sense and the "spirit" of the event.

Here's to more of the same in 2010!

Tex