Author Topic: memories  (Read 20729 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: memories
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 12:38:05 pm »
Hah I just remembered - how was the Rex and Brent duell of 89!! Haha

Your duells with Rex in late 80's are legendary, you 2 were very close as riders and always end up racing each other as i recall. How's that CR250RG coming along?
The RG is the line behind a few other bikes. I did start it and noticed that the bars were outta whack with the wheel but the bars weren't bent ??? It was the bar clamps -- Twist and shout musta had some get off- so I changed them but thats about all. One Day :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 02:29:04 pm by motomaniac »

firko

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 01:03:25 pm »
Jeez there are some good memories in some of the names on those three pages, especially the last two. I see my old mate Gordon Bell who rode for Huskys for Hans Apengren and went on to become an elite level triathlete, Brooke Flanagan who later became a top enduro rider (where is he now?), Greg Cady who did a bit of VMX in the early days with his ex Aussie Dirt Track Champ brother Mick and a lot more including Andy Caldecott. Look at the number fast guys on the third page...You don't get star studded fields like that any more.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 02:30:34 pm »
Jeez there are some good memories in some of the names on those three pages, especially the last two. I see my old mate Gordon Bell who rode for Huskys for Hans Apengren and went on to become an elite level triathlete, Brooke Flanagan who later became a top enduro rider (where is he now?), Greg Cady who did a bit of VMX in the early days with his ex Aussie Dirt Track Champ brother Mick and a lot more including Andy Caldecott. Look at the number fast guys on the third page...You don't get star studded fields like that any more.

Too right.Imagine if half of those guys turned up to race VMX!

monaro308

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 02:32:32 pm »
Thanks Moto.....Vance is a name that i do remember!
Someone owned a Holden tonner or ute and (who didn't) i think a datto ute or tray.
But yeah Vance's name is one for sure.
Always had the PE175 and an '87 KX250 the last time i saw Gary (what a fantastic motor for that year)Gary rode it once and almost compared the bottom end to his CR480/500 i think he had on that day.Anyone who has ridden an '87 KX250 would know what i mean....it was that good and would love it as an enduro donk.
Got his address now and will chase him up (thanks moto)

You are right Firko you don't see fields of names like that anymore. It was a great era for MX.

Here i was thinking of posting what i thought was a meaningless photo of my PE175 and 3 pages just to show an old lost mates name!

Glad you all have in some ways been a part of that era,i was just a spectator dreaming of even being anywhere near being a competitor.....but i loved watching MX then and being a casual rider.
I can put up more photos of the rider lists from the 3 programs i have kept depending on how many pics i'm allowed to post up....it might jig a few more memories for you all.

It really is a small world  ;D ;D

cheers....Mario

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 02:34:57 pm »
yep MM - that was me - Mugen kitted CR250R - had that in 81 I think it was and onto an RM250Z for 82 which was my last year.  Smithon Easter meet was always the best and biggest event of the year and the locals down there - of course the Savilles, McKays and Jones - made it like a second home.  I think the best I ever did was a 3rd in B grade - and I remember Michael kelleher as well.  If I also remember well (coz it was a long time back) Andrew Turner was seriously fast - when in the juniors at the Australian Championships at Symmons Plains he finished a very close second to Jeff Leisk.

Ha - small world - Hoony and I have emailed about the Easter meet a couple of times.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 03:09:19 pm »
I can put up more photos of the rider lists from the 3 programs i have kept depending on how many pics i'm allowed to post up....it might jig a few more memories for you all.
cheers....Mario

Yes please- that would be great  8)   then I can hunt down some of the WA riders.  :o
May even get a couple attending the pre85wa club events next year.  ;D
cheers
ps those different capacity bikes in the A grade support event would of been a fantastic sight to see  :P
Best is in the West !!

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 03:14:03 pm »
Mario , I think you did ride at Pound rd near Gary's place in HP. but on one of Andrews bikes that Gary had used .It was when Andrew was serious about Enduro and he had the XR as a practice barge.
Anyway see youaround .We got another secret spot now so maybe see ya there.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 06:51:32 pm »
Smithton Meets :-[

I was one of Tassie boys, the guys you have been talking about were all my mates, you mainlanders used to come over every Easter and make us A grade Tassie riders look very B grade taking all the prize money home with you.

I actually got into the vintage scene up here in Qld after a thirty year break by bumping into Andrew Bailey who used to come over with Grant Cramer, Armstrong and Co. at a BMMC VMX meeting an got sucked back into it all again.

Re: the Aus titles at Simmons plains I raced there and could not believe how fast Leisky was in the mud. Have some photos of Gally's works bike that he rode that weekend as well. Bently Omant (Tassie) grabbed the holeshole in the first race and led for the first lap and a half... Whoo HOO

Actuall bought my first VMX bike off John Gourlay and had it sent up to QLD, John has nearly completed putting a 83 250YZ together, trying to get him to come to Broadford next year..

Great to hear all the old names again.

Scott
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 07:16:32 pm »
DOH !!.....Sorry guys '81 PE175X.
The first time i went to pay the rego,i got the third degree on how did P/stevens sell a regoed bike to an unlicensed/under aged person.....i just said ask them not me!
I still have the spare rego plate today.
Hoony,no funnily enough i wanted to join Dandy MC when i had the YZ80F/H but i lived in Nth Dandy and it was a good 3-5km walk for me as i had no one to take me.I used to ride the pushie to watch though.
Motomaniac,i don't think i would remember who was who then as i used to tag along with a couple of mates that were members back then.

I used to work with one of them back in the 80's but lost contact with him around the early 90's.
His name is Gary Cornthwaite and was a C or B grade MX rider and he even did some riding schools with Stephen Gall in the mid 80's here and a trip to the states as well.
This was Broadford Rd 1 MR.MX 1984.

His brother was Andrew and he was an A grader. This is from the 1983 Mr.MX final @ Broadford.

Gary used to mix with Peter Whitington and got to know more people after the schools,eg Leisk,Dack,etc.
Another one i knew/worked with was Ross McKay.I think they both had time @ Trail & Track magazine,i know Pete did the mini MXers in his early days.

I got introduced to Gally at the final 83 Mr.Motocross @ Broadford even if it was just a quick hello,but it made my day as he was/still is my hero.....a true gentleman.....infact they all were back then....Gunter,Moates,Vandenberg,Leisk,Jimmy Ellis etc.
The "Goof" blitzed that day.

Frosty...PE in the shed oneday soon for sure  ;) At the same time i bought the RM,a PE175T was for sale and i was sooo close to saying yes but my mind was leaning toward the RM but my heart still wants the PE175X i had.It will happen when one pops up. I'd love a 175 floater also.

Am i boring you all yet? I hope not ;D
Cheers all....Mario

I think you will find it is from 1983 at Broadford,

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 07:24:48 pm »
Smithton Meets :-[

I was one of Tassie boys, the guys you have been talking about were all my mates, you mainlanders used to come over every Easter and make us A grade Tassie riders look very B grade taking all the prize money home with you.

I actually got into the vintage scene up here in Qld after a thirty year break by bumping into Andrew Bailey who used to come over with Grant Cramer, Armstrong and Co. at a BMMC VMX meeting an got sucked back into it all again.

Re: the Aus titles at Simmons plains I raced there and could not believe how fast Leisky was in the mud. Have some photos of Gally's works bike that he rode that weekend as well. Bently Omant (Tassie) grabbed the holeshole in the first race and led for the first lap and a half... Whoo HOO

Actuall bought my first VMX bike off John Gourlay and had it sent up to QLD, John has nearly completed putting a 83 250YZ together, trying to get him to come to Broadford next year..

Great to hear all the old names again.

Scott

That's the year that I went with Andrew,Grant & Sandy we flew over there in a light plane from Moorabbin airport with 4 YZ465's in the back of the plane,we stayed with Spike and Aileen when we were in Smythton ? I raced 4 races there and got 4 puncture's had great fun though after the races they took us down to the west coast? where they had a shack and we took our YZ's on the beach there and had another great time,

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 07:35:29 pm »
It's amazing reading this, i was in the Army and posted to Melbourne 83-85, lived at Doveton in Almond Drive below the swimming Pool.  Played indoor cricket at dandenong (Infamous Dandenong Deroes), went to olympic park I think 83, watch leisky destroy everyone first time I every saw someone take a double.  83 and 84 borrowed an 11 x 11 tent (from army) and camped up the top of the hill on saturday night (was not supposed to be there!!lol)to watch Mr Motocross (can't remember if both Mr Motocross was a little bit under the weather) at Broadford.  1985-1987 posted to Devonport Tassie, went to several events in Smithton, damn it's a small world

1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

monaro308

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 07:40:54 pm »
Number 8.......correct,the 250 elimination riders list is round 1 @Broadford MR MX 13/5/1984
The A grade support and the top guys is the final round (5) @ Broadford MR MX 18/9/1983

VMX247 i will take somemore pics over the next couple of days for you.

Motomaniac,when i was on arvo shift a couple of years ago,i would park at a mates place in Pearcedale and carpool to work with him......that street is behind Gary's!! :o  holy cow!

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 08:22:23 pm »

[/quote]

That's the year that I went with Andrew,Grant & Sandy we flew over there in a light plane from Moorabbin airport with 4 YZ465's in the back of the plane,we stayed with Spike and Aileen when we were in Smythton ? I raced 4 races there and got 4 puncture's had great fun though after the races they took us down to the west coast? where they had a shack and we took our YZ's on the beach there and had another great time,

[/quote]
#8 that must have been 1980 ? I missed that year.81 I don't remember Andrew being there .
How the hell did you get 4 punctures. I went there 5 times (how many laps is that?) and never got one.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 08:56:35 pm »
That's the year that I went with Andrew,Grant & Sandy we flew over there in a light plane from Moorabbin airport with 4 YZ465's in the back of the plane,we stayed with Spike and Aileen when we were in Smythton ? I raced 4 races there and got 4 puncture's had great fun though after the races they took us down to the west coast? where they had a shack and we took our YZ's on the beach there and had another great time

I was talking with Andrew about that trip down the beach the other day at the Sunny Corner trail bike ride. Still remember seeing Grant Cramer on the inside line down that main straight on the tires...... smoothest rider I remember seeing at the time... Do you remember a local rider called Neville Daws? He was mad...... out of shape most of time... he used to create havic for as long as he could with you mainlanders and after he was dropped he would wait for you to lap him and do it all over again. Dont think you guys were to impressed... ;)

Unfortunalty Neville was killed in car accident in Stanley I think it was a couple of years later, always remember him though. RIP

Scott
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 08:59:09 pm »

[/quote]
#8 that must have been 1980 ? I missed that year.81 I don't remember Andrew being there .
How the hell did you get 4 punctures. I went there 5 times (how many laps is that?) and never got one.
[/quote]

Maniac,

It was 1980,I have never had that many punctures ever,memory is going but I do seem to remember there being a lot of tree rootes,Andrew won it,and the rest of us came in behind him I cant remember the order,Andrew and I were down from Qld doing 2 Vic Championship rounds and Grant organised for Us to do the Smithton race we had great time there,