Author Topic: memories  (Read 20717 times)

monaro308

Re: memories
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2009, 08:30:36 pm »
Thanks Brent,like they say "life goes on"
Ok....36 hrs straight and just come back from a pushie ride (couldn't sleep) + Nickelback tomorrow night...i am gonna fall in a heap! ;D ;D

That pic of you definetly makes me think we have met.

This is the riders list from the Motocross International meeting at Broadford in late 1984

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2009, 08:34:49 pm »
all in good fun Moto.  ;D
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2009, 10:08:03 pm »
Slawesy - we must know each other.  Peter McKay and Bentley Omant were the number 1 and 2 guys in Tassie (used to swap in various classes).  Peter and I rode for Lloyd Campbell Honda (no relation ) in Burnie = Peter was A Grade and I only ever made B grade.  We had some of the first 78 Red Devils - still have photos also but at home.  Pete caused a bit of a stir because Honda didn't have an open class bike then he rode a Suzuki 400!!!!  He was seriously quick.  Yep Shane Woods, Robbie Scollier and Kevin Roach were all just finishing as I started (Kevin married one of the Saville girls) and Peter Kay had a couple of years left and ended up being sponsored by John Humphries Motorcycles.  You would also know Craig Jones then - number #64?

Hope this worked... the image...

Rossco here is Pete wearing both hats Honda and Suzuki talking with me and Craig Wiggins, I was riding a Yamaha for Southern Motorcycles, worked there for a while with Les and Murray.. Have a couple of other photos will post them also if this one works ok.

Had forgotten Jonesy until you mentioned him, I remember him well... still got that big honka I expect!! :D...

YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2009, 10:41:28 pm »
Mate - that was Craig - yep you do remember him. That is a good photo of Pete - can't remember him with a beard?????  But that was early before he got a CR450 also.

Ah - Southern Tas MC eh - the dreaded enemy in the club racing............ ;D  Also LMCC at Hillwood and Symmons.

When I get back home I will try and post a couple I have - pretty ordinary quality I have though.

Jeez - this is awesome - and all from a program!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2009, 10:44:13 pm »
that was a great meeting at broadford
i couldnt ride properly stuffed my foot a few weeks before at the supercross
landed on john orchard over a double ::) doh
carlquist was so smooth and fast ;) very insperational
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:19:29 pm by holeshot buddy »
follow me to first turn

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2009, 10:55:03 pm »
Rossco

Not smart enough to get the images working so here is a hyperlink to the one I tried to post..

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/BjImpWFIJSyFn_W_iaLN_Q?authkey=Gv1sRgCIzF18Dc7pCu5QE&feat=directlink

Though you might like to see my CR brand new.. I got mine from Lloyd Campbell Launceston, my uncle was the mechanic for them.. note the tee shirt I'm wearing ;), with my best mate at the time, he was the other go fast guy in Tassie with Bently and Pete... Lyndon Reynolds.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/5pwLurlrBESPBZ_4-EKW8w?authkey=Gv1sRgCIzF18Dc7pCu5QE&feat=directlink

Also found this image of a race at Symmons Plains. That's not you is it on the Honda in the middle next to Pete?
From left to right. Me #9, Bently Omant#2, John Gourlay #1, Pete McKay #27 The rest are names I cannot remember ATM except Paul Brickhill #41

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/Mx1A8WyRA6flbi5fDpTP2w?authkey=Gv1sRgCIzF18Dc7pCu5QE&feat=directlink
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2009, 11:06:49 pm »
Scott i remember Lyndon Reynolds and Bently Omant coming and racing a season in Qld around 1980 i think?

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2009, 11:44:57 pm »
Scott i remember Lyndon Reynolds and Bently Omant coming and racing a season in Qld around 1980 i think?

Thats right John, they lived on the coast for a year or so. They were running around in a bedford truck/van they converted to go racing.
YZ125E, RM250T

Mainline "classic"

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 04:31:46 am »
no not me - I raced 57 and then 7 for numbers.  Scott boots eh!  I can remember getting my first set of those from a Yamaha store on Elizabeth street I think it was up near Elizabeth College on the way out to Glenorchy - that wasn't Southern Mc's was it?

I remember Lyndon - had a big off at one of the Easter meets and dad was the first aid officer that treated him.  Another one of those bloody STMCA boys!!!!

Are you still in Tassie - racing with Fatboy?  Do your remember Peter Willoughby - KTM 495?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 04:38:52 am »
Slawesy - who was the young fella who rode for STMCA (STMCC) who ended up on Yamaha's but rode Kwakas for while - I remember him being fast and there weren't many Kwakas around - KX420 I think?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2009, 06:37:49 am »
Hay Rossco,
Beleive it or not Peter Willoughby still races down here he is bike 124 and races a very fast tt 500 and he also has a super fast Xl 350 you can see him in the picts that Bazza posted from when he was down here. He still beats most of us and he is only a young 60 years old.I have been racing him for about 10years or more and have only beaten him with out him falling off 3 times maybe 4 and we have raced maybe 300 times.
I do have some old picts some were of the old days at smithton and hillwood
slawsey has some great picts I had a look at them when I was at his house in Brisbane after the Nats this year.

I never was allowed to race mx when I was young (mum was scared)I didnt get my first bike until I was about 13/14years old but I did have a mini bike with a lawn mower motor in it when I was a little tacker( I was little once).

Cheers
Fatboy

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2009, 08:22:00 am »
Slawesy - who was the young fella who rode for STMCA (STMCC) who ended up on Yamaha's but rode Kwakas for while - I remember him being fast and there weren't many Kwakas around - KX420 I think?

Might have been Troy Penny, he ended up riding with Mick Kellaher for Max Stephens after riding for Southern Motorcycles (yamaha) for years. Actually on second thoughts it may have even been Lyndon Reynolds. (I had left Tassie by then)

Are you still in Tassie - racing with Fatboy?

No mate, settled up here in the sunny QLD, met Fatboy and a couple of the lads from Tassie at the Nationals this year it was unreal talking with the boys about the old days and the names that I had forgotten about. Pete McCormack one of the guys, said to drop in when I'm next down there and go riding with them, hoping to keep him to that.

Pete Willoughby ??  Sorta remember the name although the only guy I new at that time riding a KTM was a guy I new only as "possum" who worked for Telstra at the time.
YZ125E, RM250T

Mainline "classic"

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2009, 08:30:12 am »
no not me - I raced 57 and then 7 for numbers.  Scott boots eh!  I can remember getting my first set of those from a Yamaha store on Elizabeth street I think it was up near Elizabeth College on the way out to Glenorchy - that wasn't Southern Mc's was it?

Yeah that was Southern Motorcycles, I liked the plastic boots, had a pair of Heckles originally (Gaston Rahier wore them I think) then had several pairs of Scott boots. Actually have the new Scotts at the moment.. see below at CD6

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/04aLV-Hv7jJzc3h0W23KBw?authkey=Gv1sRgCJKMor_n1-C7VQ&feat=directlink
YZ125E, RM250T

Mainline "classic"

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2009, 02:49:44 pm »
Mate - that was him - Troy Penny - really stretching the memory blocks now.  Yep FBR I met with Pete at the Nats - old bugger still looks good - use to tussle with him and that 495 often.

I cannot get over what a small world it is.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2011, 02:53:35 pm »
Posted by: JohnnyO 
Insert Quote

Speaking of Lyndon Reynolds, just saw a snap of him in the 80's photos, he's on the right hand side.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WVNqT0lZcok_swE9-BRQQ-kmHxeFLLQ4OyKqjeYLUgE?feat=directlink
YZ125E, RM250T

Mainline "classic"