Author Topic: memories  (Read 20727 times)

monaro308

memories
« on: November 13, 2009, 07:12:32 pm »
Hi all,i found this pic going through some paper work the other night.
I loved this bike as it was stone reliable for the 9 years i had it.
Not one single thing ever let me down apart from a clogged muffler.
When repacked it was like a new bike again.

I bought it when i was 17 after trading in my YZ80H in 1982 @Peter Stevens in Dandenong.
Went in for my P's @Doveton RTA still with my knobbie tyres @17/9months and was told to come back with the right tyres by 2PM
Bought 2 tyres @ Foster st M/C wreckers and returned to the RTA in the arvo.
Instructor watched me go around the block from the front of the RTA and gave me my license.
Knobbies back on that night and ridden just about everyday to and from work for over 1 year until i bothered to get my car license and then used on nice days to and from work for the next 8 years.

Of course the weekends were spent riding it at governor rd @braeside,rosebud track,frankston track and the sneaky break-ins @ Boral quarry in cranbourne.
Most other times was spent in the Noojee State forest where this pic was taken i think in 1983.

Even today i still miss the bike ALOT.
Back into riding this past year on my '06WR450F and rebuilding an RM125C and maybe my other RM125T.
I still love my 2 strokes and always will.

cheers...Mario

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:15:18 pm by monaro308 »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: memories
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:52:12 pm »
G'day Mario,

I can relate to nearly all of what you said as i lived in the same area and rode the same tracks.

have you ever been a member of the Dandenong Motorcycle club (senior club meetings at keysborough hall and then the club rooms in Paul Crt) ?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:59:39 pm »
Hey Mario , great little bit of history reading there.I rode most of those place's around that era.Was a Rosebud member all though the 80's/90's. Maybe we knew each other back then. Do you remember any of the Guys from back then?

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:04:25 pm »
Nice Mario what capacity was it i would reckon it would have to have been 175 or 250 if you were just getting your license I have a couple PE's I just love them because my 400t dad got in the late 80's it was registered once but we have had so much fun over the years. One day when I was little dad did a mono with me sitting on the tank and he fell off I stayed on and held on to the handle bars and landed but stayed upright dad had to chase the bike and just caught it in time before it fell it use to really scare me but I had always wanted to ride it myself. When I was 13 or 14  I got on it and rid it around and it is so much fun whether I ride up and down my driveway or through the bush they are still about have you thought of getting one again thanks, Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

mx250

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:37:40 pm »
One day when I was little dad did a mono with me sitting on the tank and he fell off I stayed on and held on to the handle bars and landed but stayed upright dad had to chase the bike and just caught it in time before it fell it use to really scare me but I had always wanted to ride it myself.
Priceless

monaro308

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 09:57:49 pm »
DOH !!.....Sorry guys '81 PE175X.
The first time i went to pay the rego,i got the third degree on how did P/stevens sell a regoed bike to an unlicensed/under aged person.....i just said ask them not me!
I still have the spare rego plate today.
Hoony,no funnily enough i wanted to join Dandy MC when i had the YZ80F/H but i lived in Nth Dandy and it was a good 3-5km walk for me as i had no one to take me.I used to ride the pushie to watch though.
Motomaniac,i don't think i would remember who was who then as i used to tag along with a couple of mates that were members back then.

I used to work with one of them back in the 80's but lost contact with him around the early 90's.
His name is Gary Cornthwaite and was a C or B grade MX rider and he even did some riding schools with Stephen Gall in the mid 80's here and a trip to the states as well.
This was Broadford Rd 1 MR.MX 1984.

His brother was Andrew and he was an A grader. This is from the 1983 Mr.MX final @ Broadford.

Gary used to mix with Peter Whitington and got to know more people after the schools,eg Leisk,Dack,etc.
Another one i knew/worked with was Ross McKay.I think they both had time @ Trail & Track magazine,i know Pete did the mini MXers in his early days.

I got introduced to Gally at the final 83 Mr.Motocross @ Broadford even if it was just a quick hello,but it made my day as he was/still is my hero.....a true gentleman.....infact they all were back then....Gunter,Moates,Vandenberg,Leisk,Jimmy Ellis etc.
The "Goof" blitzed that day.

Frosty...PE in the shed oneday soon for sure  ;) At the same time i bought the RM,a PE175T was for sale and i was sooo close to saying yes but my mind was leaning toward the RM but my heart still wants the PE175X i had.It will happen when one pops up. I'd love a 175 floater also.

Am i boring you all yet? I hope not ;D
Cheers all....Mario
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:10:20 pm by monaro308 »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 10:21:38 pm »
Not boring at all Mario. Just total Bullshit! Gary is my longtime best Mate and riding Buddy.
You probably lost contact with him after he got married .He moved to Hampton Park but is now living in Pearcedale with his second wife.
I know Pete too but haven't seen him for ages.He came out of retirement in the early 90's and rode Gary's old CR500 in the Ozzie titles at Traralgon .He hadnt trained or ridin much for years but got 7th overall against a stacked field with Glen Bell  and co.

Andrew is still riding too but not as much , his Son Jed  is a good rider and won his class in the Vic offroad champs a year or two ago.

I used to ride alot with those Guys and Mal Watson at the sand pits in Crannie.

I can tell by my number that that program is from 1983 .Lot of good riders there .I remember most. Im number 248 at the bottom.
I recognise most the names in both heats - alot of Guys from Tassie who I knew - so Im thinking the meeting was at Wontaggi because they came over for that one.

I'll tell Gary about you.
Jez small world

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 10:34:11 pm »
Actually I think I remember you now coming out to practice with us at the pits or maybe it was Pound rd in HAMPTONPARK.
So where are you at now Man?

monaro308

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:43:47 pm »
NO F...ING WAY!
You are correct,i'd been to Gary's place in Hampton park a couple of times,(his 1st wife bred cats) then they parted ways and i think he got a transfer at work and i went another way and lost contact.
I've been in Seaford for the last 4 years (around the corner from his parents in ballarto rd carrum downs)if they are still there.
I also go through Pearcedale EVERYDAY for the last 4 1/2 years to work in Lang Lang!

Holy cow i'm hopeless with names,i might remember the faces but names go over my head.
Pound rd...i never rode there,sandpits yeah,we would leave from Andrew's place in Crannie and ride to the sand pits where the hole in the fence was  ;D

So...married a potato peeler  again.....FOOL :D
He is a top bloke and good luck to him.
Use that word "practice" loosely as i was a VERY average rider then as i still am now.(just ask Gary!)
Just got back into riding....well mostly falling.... this year and been riding at Rokeby,Bluerock dam and just joined Frankston again to learn how to stop falling over the bars and following ruts...i'm a shocker on the MX track and stick to the little loop track to save me from the embarrassment that i am.
I knew back then how bad i was but i enjoyed it.Now i know how bad i am...but enjoying it again,but
jeez these 4strokes are top heavy for a 70kg 5ft6 mug like me.....might go to a KTM300 2 banger to save my bung left wrist and numbing left arm (something i need to sort out as it's starting to get me down physically)
Thanks Moto...you made my night!
I'll leave my email addy to forward on if you don't mind.
Cheers....mario
[email protected]

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 12:47:38 am »
Bloody Hell Mario - in the one that shows the A Grade support I used to ride with Paul Brickhill, John Gourlay, Andrew Turner and Raymond Brickhill back when I raced in Tassie - waaaaay back when - thats bought back some memories for sure!!   ;D

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 09:56:25 am »
NO F...ING WAY!

Thanks Moto...you made my night!
I'll leave my email addy to forward on if you don't mind.
Cheers....mario
[email protected]

Yer Mario , thats it .Didn't you have an XR at on stage?Anyway I remember you for sure.
You have been driving past his house everyday man.I'll send a PM with the Address etc.
He s married to Adele .She was a freind of Vance Carpenters wife if you remember them.
His Mum is still in Ballarto Rd as far as I know but Don his step Dad passed away.

Anyway I'll probably see you at some stage .

If you want to check it there is some good shots taken at the Viper rd 4 this year .Gary is #214 on a Suzi 125B.

Cheers

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 10:10:26 am »
Bloody Hell Mario - in the one that shows the A Grade support I used to ride with Paul Brickhill, John Gourlay, Andrew Turner and Raymond Brickhill back when I raced in Tassie - waaaaay back when - thats bought back some memories for sure!!   ;D

Rossco

Hey Ross ,I think we've meet too.I raced at Bryant Park and Hillwood in the 80's.I got a picture around from the local paper somewhere with Myself,GrantCramer,Andrew Turner and Troy Penny from 1981.
If you are the guy who had the mugen kitted CR250RA I def remember you.I had the same bike with a modded swingarm and Ohlins on the back.I had the big cartwheEl at the end of the straight with the guy on the KX420 , Micheal Cahlaher or callahway or something.

I knew the Brickhills, top people same as the Savilles in Smithton.
Greatdays they were.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 10:31:34 am »
Hey Moto, the guy was Michael Kellerher it think.

i raced at the Smithton Bryant Park track every easter from 1984 - 1989 and have video of some of these events, i Never met brothers Ian & Ross, but i knew Ray and his parents quite well (Fran & John) and the Savilles very well as we always stayed with them and they stayed with me on a few occasions when they came to Melbourne.

Matthew Turner (VIPER Member 1988 CR500) was a top junior back then and i organised/assisted the Tassie boys over for the 2 day Bill Brown when I was DMCC Sports Secretary for a few years. yes they were great days and i can't believe it has been 20 years since the last Easter 2000 i did.

What years did you and Smaley go over? how did you find out about it? i went with Bruce Linsdell after taking to Smaley in 83'
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:40:50 am by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 11:03:19 am »
Thanks Hoony , yer it was Micheal Kellerher.He was a good rider but I was on it that weekend and beat him.
I first went in 79 ,missed 80 when Smaleys RM got stolen , 81 - won C grade , 82 and 83 - got second in B grade .84 I went to Tas but not to race .I had the smashed wrist and just went to visit Deb and Blue Ried. Blue and I climbed Cradle mountain.
Then I didnt go again until 89.
It was ureal, a few of us lobbed at Jeff and Mary's when we got to Smithton .Noone was even home then when everyone turned up they gave us such a welcome.I thought that maybe I would have been forgotten after 5 years but someone hey Brent where were you last year?

I found out about it when I meet Smaley riding at Grantville in 78 .It was his idea.He went to Tassie just before that on his Honeymoon and got everyone interested and pretty much organised the whole thing that first year. Other Guys that went that year were Darren McMullen,Tony Leach - cant remember everyone .Grant Cramer and Sandy Richardson also went but not part of our group.In 81 Trev Brookes also went with Sandy and Grant. About 82 or 83 guys like Martin Douglas and Steve Airey from Frankston started coming over also. After that well you know from 84 on.
Hah I just remembered - how was the Rex and Brent duell of 89!! Haha

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 11:55:23 am »
Hah I just remembered - how was the Rex and Brent duell of 89!! Haha

Your duells with Rex in late 80's are legendary, you 2 were very close as riders and always end up racing each other as i recall. How's that CR250RG coming along?
1986 Honda CR250RG