Author Topic: Evo ultimate class  (Read 30701 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Evo ultimate class
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2009, 10:23:34 pm »
If you don't want the disappointments ,arguments,disagreements,lost mate ship and negative input maybe refrain from putting your club up for discussion,as the whole world can comment on the subject.Perhaps leave it for the club meeting and four walls.  8)
just my observation
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2009, 09:12:35 am »
A simple question needs to be answered, 
 Why don't the owners want to ride them in pre '85?

If they did, would that be classed as riding up a class?

:D
1. As was shown at the Nats, you can enter an older bike in a newer class without drama. The "riding up a class" thing only becomes an issue when you use it to ride multiple classes on the one bike.

2. As these "Evo Ultimate" bikes have pre-85 engines, then they must be legal as pre-85 bikes.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2009, 09:43:15 am »
[quote
 A simple question needs to be answered, 
 Why don't the owners want to ride them in pre '85?

quote]
A simple answer to that question is : Why would you bother ? It would be uncompetitive & I know from my perspective that I am slow enough already . Why would I want to handicap myself further ? Also , it would just look out of place . There was a twin shock RM running around in the pre '85 125 class (I think ?) at the Conondale Nats & to me it stood out as being wrong. If I was going to ride in pre '85 open class , I would want to ride an '83 CR480RD or an RM500.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:01:53 pm by Husky500evo »

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2009, 10:30:03 am »
hi Nathan

sure did happen at the Nats, just another loop hole that was changed in the 2007 GCR's that allowed that to happen, i wonder if this rule will be allowed when MA runs the Nats next year, as we tried to avoid this in our sup regs, but oh no said --, the intention is for bikes to ride the actual class but NOT worded that way, so we were forced to allow this to happen, i for i will be entering one bike in multipule class's for 2010.

Cheers Worms
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:05:43 pm by worms »

All Things 414

« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2009, 12:23:27 pm »
Why would you bother ? It would be uncompetitive
Yeah? I see plenty of Evo bikes being ridden in Pre 85 and they're just as competitive if not more so.
This whole "we don't want you riding your bike in multiple classes" is the biggest load of wank. Absolute bullshit!! >:(. Why the fugg should people have to drag multiple bikes to meetings? Oh that's right. The purists amongst you don't think it "showcases" the actual era. What a lot of forkin' dribble. Grow up.

And I'm buggered if I know why anyone would be worried that these Evo Ultimate class bikes would be a problem in Evo anyway? The quick guys are still going to be quick no matter what they're riding. I doubt whether slotting a Big bore engine into a 250 frame is going to be the ants-pants when it comes to handling and reliability anyway......

I think Evo bikes with multi-clicker shocks (my own included) do more to discredit the whole thing more-so than something that the average joe couldn't pick anyway....
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 12:28:31 pm by All Things 414 »

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2009, 01:02:08 pm »
414 it's so obivious that you have had nothing to do with running events by your statement, if that is the case your events,would just be all in class for vmx. but hey who cares as the GCR's currently allow it and we should all enter multipule entries of the one bike at the Nationals for 2010, i for one will entering my pre78 bike in evo and pre85 and pre 78, plus my pre75 bike in pre 75, pre 78, evo, pre85 as well.
where will it stop?

cheers worms ;D

All Things 414

« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2009, 05:49:20 pm »
Fair play to you I say.... ;)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2009, 05:59:15 pm »
414 it's so obivious that you have had nothing to do with running events by your statement, if that is the case your events,would just be all in class for vmx. but hey who cares as the GCR's currently allow it and we should all enter multipule entries of the one bike at the Nationals for 2010, i for one will entering my pre78 bike in evo and pre85 and pre 78, plus my pre75 bike in pre 75, pre 78, evo, pre85 as well.
where will it stop?

cheers worms ;D

Its $150 entry fees per class isn't it? Not per bike. that will be $1050 for you.just send the cheque with your entry . Thank you very much.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2009, 06:32:40 pm »
Try $150 plus $10 each extra class. It cost me $190 to enter 5 classes at Conondale.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2009, 06:37:51 pm »
yeah yeah,

$150 entry, and $10 extra bike not class, so that would be $170 , i can manage that!

cheers trev ;D

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2009, 06:42:29 pm »
Externally adjustable shocks, PD valves, fat bars etc are all currently legal.
Fair enough it you don't want them to be legal, but that would be changing the rules, which is a whole 'nother ball game.[/quote]chaaanging what rule  is that again? I didn't see it in the GCR's

I am reading the GCR's isnt everyone? end it seems that there is some other rule book that I am not aware of

and I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what rule book it is that everyone else was reading or where in the GCR's its gives exception to " all components will be of the period (that) the machine was manufacrued" & " modifications using later equipment are not allowed"
[/quote]

One of the main failings of the current wording of the rules, is that they do not include either of these statements:
"No modifications are allowed, except for the following freedoms..." or; "All modifications are allowed, but with the following restrictions...".is that your suggestion for a GCR rule change?
Instead, what we have is a set of rules that specifically allow some things, and specifically prohibit some other things -yes specifically components from the period of manufacture of the machine are allowed, modifications or conponents after that period are not allowed.How black and white do you have to be? this means that you have no 'fall-back' position on any issues/components that are not specifically discussed in the rules.
The part you've quoted appears to be an attempt to do this, but if you interpret it 100% literally, then everyone's bikes are illegal, unless they're running tyres, chains, grips etc that were manufacturered in the era.Do you really think that some vintage or evo racers would interpret the rules to mean the replacing wornout or broken parts is not allowed.I mean if I broke my clutch lever in a fall is some guy going to tell me that i need to find another bike or replace the lever with one from 1980?Sorry I give both the racers and the rule makers more credit than that.Neither are that daft in my book.18.7.14.4 &.4 are about using parts that do not enhance the original specification of the machine with parts that were produced at a later date with better  features and technologies

That being the case, everything that's not specifically addressed by the rules is open to interpretation. Of course, "interpretation" will only really matter when you're involved in a protest (either as a protester or a protestee) and have to argue your case to the Stewards...
Personally, for every modification I make to any of my bikes, I imagine myself in a situation where I'm being protested, and I have to prove to a cynical steward that I'm not a cheat - this is a part of the reason why my bikes are more standard than most. I'm not saying that anyone with a more modified bike is cheating, just that there are plenty of things that I might get away with, but wouldn't bet the house on it.

Agh... I'm rambling... What it comes down to, is that the vague bits of rules can be interpreted a lot of different ways. Much like in civil courts, the difference between sinking and swimming will come down to a mix of the following factors:
a) The reasonableness of your interpretation of the rules.
b) Precedent.
c) Whether it makes a difference.
d) This is Chewbacca*.

So, getting to the point:
1. Rear shocks.

a) Reasonable Interpretation: Rear shocks are only discussed in GCR 18.5.0.8. All components???The implication of 18.5.0.8 is clearly the replacement shock absorbers are allowed (if the rule had intended to limit people to original fitment shocks, then this entire rule would never have existed. Instead it would simply say "Rear shock absorbers must remain as originally fitted to the machine in question".
The fact that the rules specify some restrictions on replacement shock absorbers, means that any replacement shock absorber meeting those restrictions must be legal.

b) Precedent: Many, many bikes have passed scrutiny and raced without protest at VMX meetings, including National title meetings. Adjuster knobs on twin shock bikes are clearly visible, so there's no question that it was simply 'missed' by every scrutineer and every other rider...

c) Whether it makes a difference: Ultimately, the external dampening adjustment is a tool to simplify tuning and offers no direct performance benefit compared to a properly tuned non-adjustable shock.

2. Fat bars.
a) Reasonable Interpretation: Handlebars are a 'consumable' item on a MX bike - they are not a "major component" as (un)defined in 18.6.0.2. They are not mentioned at all in the Classic MX rules, so are clearly not prohibited in CMX. Bars without cross-braces and bars with an OD of greater than 7/8" were both available before 1975.Pro tapers are made using patented technology from the early 90's

b) Precedent: Many, many bikes have passed scrutiny and raced without protest at VMX meetings, including the National titles. Handlebars are clearly visible, so there's no question that it was simply 'missed' by every scrutineer and every other rider...

c) Whether it makes a difference/other stuff: These handlebars clearly provide a small improvement in performance and rider comfort, above and beyond true "era correct" parts, but CMX allows performance modifications.

3. PD / Emulator valves.
a) Reasonable Interpretation: Forks are only discussed in GCR 18.5.0.8,all components although they probably fall into the category of being a "major component" in 18.6.0.2. Neither of these rules prohibit internal modifications to forks. PD Valves/Emulators do not over-step any of the restrictions in 18.5.0.8.

b) Precedent: Many bike have been raced with these components fitted, without consequence. While they are virtually impossible for a scrutineer to identify at a race meeting, there is published information that states that particular bikes have raced at National Championship level with them fitted, again without consequence.

c) Whether it makes a difference/other stuff: These components clearly offer a performance advantage, however CMX allows performance modifications.once again ar we discussing the GCR's or a book that I am not aware of?
It is also extremely difficult to identify these components without time consuming disassembly at events, making "illegal PD Valves" impossible to enforce at scrutiny.
Shim-stack style suspension valves have been around since pre-75 (at least) so they could have been made in the pre-75 era (ie: The technology existed then, even if nbody was using it).If nobody was using it its a no brainer.All components to be of the period

[/bush lawyer]

I can see the counter-arguments for all of the points (particularly the PD Valve stuff), but are they strong enough to sustain a protest successfully?
Personally, I hate the look of fat bars on old bikes (IMHO, they're tolerable on Evo and newer bikes, but are a crime against good taste on the older stuff), and if iy was up to me, they'd be illegal in VMX - but that's different to saying that they are currently illegal.All components to be of the period.I am reading the GCR's what book are you reading?

Iits seems to be popular to blame everything on the GCR's.They seem plain enough to me.I might not agree with everything - like excluding pre 78 models for a half inch more travel but over all I have no problem with them.I just need to get a hold of the "other" book to read up all these other rules.

[/quote]

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2009, 06:45:43 pm »
yeah yeah,

$150 entry, and $10 extra bike not class, so that would be $170 , i can manage that!

cheers trev ;D

I wasn't sure , I thought that it was $150 per class this year.Whatever, you will be doing well to gte all those rides in or even qualify for all of them.Goodluck anyway's.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2009, 06:47:17 pm »
Try $150 plus $10 each extra class. It cost me $190 to enter 5 classes at Conondale.

Johnny O I dont get it .What was all the BS about riding one bike in two class's then?

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2009, 06:57:57 pm »
nothing like missing the point,

the fact remains ?? choose to allow certain competitors, with 2 days notice to the event, after they lodged complaints,( even though it was in the sup regs they couldnt, and 99% entered as per the regs) that they could enter multipule races using the same machine.

so i feel it's fair game then and i only need one bike and ride everything ;)
, so bring on the Nationals

Cheers worms
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:03:07 pm by worms »

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2009, 07:02:33 pm »
worms what classes where they
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS